PDA

View Full Version : Why does Logitech have client restrictions on Pandora in Australia?

zjed
2012-10-14, 17:02
I am in Australia and have setup Pandora to run on my squeezebox software/hardware.
I had it running for a couple of hours but then started getting the error :-

"Client restricted due to licensing restrictions (are you not in the US?)"

Pandora is fully available and unrestricted in Australia, I can run Pandora from web browser, android app and windows Pandora One App.
Why are Logitech applying these restrictions when the product is fully available here?

Surely its up to Pandora to restrict access to their content not Logitech !!!

Any solutions Logitech?

garym
2012-10-14, 17:11
I am in Australia and have setup Pandora to run on my squeezebox software/hardware.
I had it running for a couple of hours but then started getting the error :-

"Client restricted due to licensing restrictions (are you not in the US?)"

Pandora is fully available and unrestricted in Australia, I can run Pandora from web browser, android app and windows Pandora One App.
Why are Logitech applying these restrictions when the product is fully available here?

Surely its up to Pandora to restrict access to their content not Logitech !!!

Any solutions Logitech?

I know it seems odd but it is still pandora not Logitech making these limits. Streaming companies evidently have a love-hate relationship with network music streamers as compared with web streaming. Perhaps based on web ads. Don't know. But it is pandora doing the restriction with the requirements they impose on Logitech.

garym
2012-10-14, 17:15
Or maybe that message is not really the basis of your problem and it is actually something else. This can happen too. Perhaps others in Australia can chime in re their pandora use on SB players to confirm.

zjed
2012-10-14, 17:36
I know it seems odd but it is still pandora not Logitech making these limits. Streaming companies evidently have a love-hate relationship with network music streamers as compared with web streaming. Perhaps based on web ads. Don't know. But it is pandora doing the restriction with the requirements they impose on Logitech.

I'm not sure if this is true. I'd rather an official word from Logitech.
I have logged support requests with both Logitech and Pandora but haven't received a response yet.

garym
2012-10-14, 18:10
I'm not sure if this is true. I'd rather an official word from Logitech.
I have logged support requests with both Logitech and Pandora but haven't received a response yet.

Good you've already asked at official channels. You won't get an official answer here as this is a strictly user-to-user forum. Please do post back here what you find out from the official channels. This will help others here.

Kurt Spear
2012-10-27, 22:05
I'm having that message happen intermittently.
Sometimes, like today until 1pm, I was able to do the normal Pandora things using a web browser to access my Logitech Media Server/squeeze box remote. But that pesky region message came back. I'm still listening to a Pandora station as I write this but I'm not able to shift to another.

Go figure

froth
2012-10-30, 11:15
Well I can say in Canada none of these services are available due to the Canadian Government Digitial Copy Right Laws. I see people paying for the Black IP / VPN services so that they appear to be from the USA when they subscribe to the services. But is that legal?

poohsan
2012-12-14, 01:51
I get the same thing going through a vpn from germany - I got that message straight away when I tried strongVPN, switched to unoTellyVPN and it worked for about 15 minutes and then it started giving me the same message again.

If I try to connect via my local IP I get a different message a la "not available in your country"

If I had to guess, pandora is doing a reverse DNS lookup on the IP address that a client connects from and black lists it if it's a VPN, but that's my "I forgot to put on my tinfoil hat" conspiracy guess.

Anyone know any more info?

EDIT 1: I just found this blog; just verified that I can access MySB.com and told my SBP to access pandora - and it appears that it is; too bad I'm at work and not at home to verify that it's playing.

http://macsack.blogspot.com/2010/08/play-pandora-on-your-logitech.html

EDIT 2: Yay!!!!! I have to access mysqueezebox.com through a VPN but the SBP doesn't have to be behind the VPN. So, can't access pandora directly from the SBP interface, but still can access it - victory! FWIW, I'm using unoTelly - $60/year.

EDIT 3: I was also emailing globalpandora and they confirmed their belief that pandora does, or at least did, maintain a blacklist of known VPN IP addresses.

Aztek
2012-12-23, 09:38
I'm in New Zealand and have the same problem. Got a message back from Pandora simply advising that they don't provide this service to Logitech for this part of the world. However, I found that my WDTV-Live plays Pandora without any problems whatsoever. Didn't have to use any VPN's or anything - just click on icon - enter account details and away it went.

Cheers Mike

ant.perry
2014-03-27, 18:09
Australians need to:
1. log into Pandora to set up an account
2. log into mysqueezebox.com and set up USA as your country
the website will tell you that it thinks you are somewhere else
3. Install the Pandora app
if your country is set as Australia, the Pandora app won't be available
4. in Mysqueezebox.com you can add your players and set up the menus (like in any country)

Cheers
Ant Perry

NotSoOldNick
2014-04-10, 17:28
Australians need to:
1. log into Pandora to set up an account
2. log into mysqueezebox.com and set up USA as your country
the website will tell you that it thinks you are somewhere else
3. Install the Pandora app
if your country is set as Australia, the Pandora app won't be available
4. in Mysqueezebox.com you can add your players and set up the menus (like in any country)

Cheers
Ant Perry

Man, you're awesome! This works a charm. I had (shame on me) discovered Pandora only recently, and after playing with it on my phone, was looking forward to the full comfort of my home hifi with my squeezebox player, only to find out sadly that the Pandora app was not available on mysqueezebox.com. I thought, as Logitech is gradually letting us down, that this was just because they had stopped supporting the app.
Your trick made my day, many thanks !!

Nick, in Sydney.