PDA

View Full Version : Adam A5x Nearfield Monitors - Rear Panel Hot?

garym
2012-10-14, 10:44
I just replaced my audioengine A5s with a pair of Adam A5x powered monitors. These are used with a TOUCH in a relatively small room. I'm very pleased with the sound quality after a couple of days of listening. Definitely seems a major step up from the audioengine A5s (as I would hope given that they are maybe 3 times as expensive).

QUESTION: Does anyone have a set of these or the A7x? What I've noticed is that the metal back plate of each speaker is very hot to the touch. (The front, sides, and top material are not even warm to the touch.) I've NOT had any problems with speakers turning themselves off or blowing fuses or anything at all like that. I've played 8 hours straight at moderate to sometimes high volume and all works very well. But even with the speakers just "on" and not playing anything for 4 or 5 hours, the back metal panel remains very hot to the touch (not just warm, hot).

If you have these speakers do you see (er, feel) the same thing?

pippin
2012-10-14, 10:50
Hm. I suspect they use the metal as a heat spreader but that sounds extreme.
I don't have the A5x's, but the predecessor, the A5 and they only get warm, not hot. But then they only have half the power rating....
Oh and, of course, I'm on 220V here which could lower currents quite a bit before the converter.... not that this should really matter for a speaker.

garym
2012-10-14, 10:53
Hm. I suspect they use the metal as a heat spreader but that sounds extreme.
I don't have the A5x's, but the predecessor, the A5 and they only get warm, not hot. But then they only have half the power rating....
Oh and, of course, I'm on 220V here which could lower currents quite a bit before the converter.... not that this should really matter for a speaker.

Yep, they definitely use the metal rear panel as a heat spreader as part of the design (no heat sink or fins of any kind). And I expected it to be warm but not so hot to the touch.

The A5s had two 25w amps (tweeter and mid/woof). The A5x have two 50w amps.

garym
2012-10-14, 11:02
And by very hot, the best way I can describe this is that I can put my fingers against the rear metal panel and hold them there indefinitely (so not as if it "burns" me like touching a light bulb or a frying pan or engine block). But it is way more than I would describe as "warm"...

toby10
2012-10-14, 11:46
When I drive my AE A5's hard the rear panel gets quite warm.

garym
2012-10-14, 12:05
When I drive my AE A5's hard the rear panel gets quite warm.

Mine did too. But didn't pay much attention at the time as they also shut off automatically after a short period of no music. Oh well, not really a problem and I suppose the two 50w amps stuck in a small box have to disapate heat somewhere.