PDA

View Full Version : iPeng, your iPhone Squeezebox Remote, gets even better with version 2.0!

pippin
2012-10-12, 19:26
It's done. iPeng 2.0, the long anticipated (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?96679-iPeng-2-0-Teaser-Thread) update to iPeng for iPhone, has now been released on the App Store

http://penguinlovesmusic.de/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/20logokl1.png

The iPhone 5 brought a new form factor to the iPhone/iPod world and we have used the opportunity to give iPeng a complete UI refresh. It’s been two years since the last UI change and during that time, App user experiences have changed a lot so we felt it was time for some fresh air.

So what’s new?

1. Design

First, iPeng’s graphics are now much cleaner drawn, use more contrast and we tried to give it a more reduced, less playful look, taking away a lot of gradients, semi-transparent elements and colors. This improves readability, makes iPeng’s screens look less crowded and in some places it freed up some space to make elements bigger and more readable, like the title information on NowPlaying. The NowPlaying screen also is now optimized for iPhone 5 but also looks cleaner and more readable on the older Apple devices.

We also played some additional attention to icons, so now the main menu icons are all available in retina format and the player icons now again use real images of the devices they represent, similar to the ones used in iPeng for iPad.

http://penguinlovesmusic.de/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/CF_overview.png

2. Usability

iPeng 2.0 now has a new player-tab at the top of the screen that always shows you which player you are controlling and also gives you quick access to the list of players and Music Sources (MultiPlayer control) from everywhere in the App.

It also contains shortcuts to control the current player without having to switch to NowPlaying.

We believe that this will significantly improve the accessibility of often-used features in iPeng and therefore make your iPeng user experience even better.

3. Features

The space freed up on the left-hand side of the NowPlaying screen is now filled by the same Lyrics screen saver that’s also featured in iPeng for iPad.

The Changes in Detail

If you want to learn more about the changes and the new design, have a look at

http://penguinlovesmusic.de/2012/10/13/ipeng-gets-fresh-new-ui-with-version-2-0/

Have fun!

ftlight
2012-10-12, 20:09
I just downloaded the new version - looks very good! I like the clean appearance, and most of the changed screen functions seem quite intuitive.

ftlight
2012-10-12, 20:18
So that was on my iPhone 4/iOS6; I've now loaded it on my 3GS, also running iOS6, and so far everything looks good there too.

snoogly
2012-10-13, 00:29
iPad version on the way?

05mattjax
2012-10-13, 01:08
Looking good.

05mattjax
2012-10-13, 01:17
The volume control seems to change the track! Well in iPeng playback anyway, not tried other players. Maybe is because I haven't upgraded to ios6.

And whats the lyrics screen about it just seems to hangs searching........

Nice user interface though, well done.

pippin
2012-10-13, 02:03
The skip happens when you change the volume fast, yes. That's a bug. Will get fixed in 2.0.1 which is already on the way (but will probably still take more than a week, due to Apple's current review times).

Lyrics: are you using SqueezeCenter 7.3.x? Otherwise iPeng should present you a help screen instead of waiting forever.... You need to install the SongInfo/SongLyrics plugins to get Lyrics, iPeng can't get them itself. There's a longer explanation on this on http://penguinlovesmusic.com

chill
2012-10-13, 03:00
Pippin

This is a nice update. I'm using an iPhone 4, still on iOS 5.1.1, and so far I haven't seen any problems. I particularly like the lyrics page - something I've missed on the iPhone version since seeing it on an iPad. I'm sure I'll eventually train my brain not to try and swipe to the other screens in landscape mode :)

And the drop down tab to get to the multiplayer control is much more convenient. For some reason I often struggled to swipe sideways off the old version of this screen, but now it's a simple tap to get rid of it, and it's available all the time.

Great to see this app going from strength to strength.

chill
2012-10-13, 03:35
Usage question/feature request:

Is there a way to get one of the apps in 'My Apps' to show on the menu bar? I can get the whole 'My Apps' menu item to show, but I'd like to put Triode's Spotify app there.

Thanks
Chris

pippin
2012-10-13, 04:21
You can't put a submenu on the tab bar because the higher-level menu needs to be opened to access it.
Logitech's "Apps" can be added to the home menu on MySB, but not Triode's plugin. Sorry.

bhaagensen
2012-10-13, 04:21
Hi,

been playing a bit with 2.0 and its really good!

I really, really, really appreciate the new integrated lyrics feature!

Also the way playback controls are now integrated in the browser part of iPeng is brilliant - very functional indeed. The design is also improved IMO - making the improvements worth a 2.0 major upgrade.

Some parts are still a bit irky, but we'll get to that later.

Thanks for the upgrade - long live the Squeezebox!!! :)

HeadBanger
2012-10-13, 04:42
Really nice like it! Thanks Pippin.

epoch1970
2012-10-13, 04:58
(iPhone 4/iOS5, here)
Same screen size, more features, greater usability: Coolio deserves an extra sardine today.

Lyrics in screensaver: great addition (I can expect a new iPad exclusive feature, right? ;))
Perhaps it's not new, but I've just seen the "Popup notifications" preference. Off, thank you very much.

I also tried again the "Proximity sensor". It cuts the screen often when I approach my finger to hit a button on the screen. I've set it off again.

I've seen one pixel defect:

I didn't use much landscape mode on iPhone. I like very much the new next/prev gesture. If the image would bounce or animate a bit it in response, that would be awesome.

Menu browsing in landscape mode: why not.

I've seen one defect on the players drawer in landscape mode, perhaps you can reproduce:
a. sit the iPhone on a table, upright on one of its longer sides: iPeng turns to landscape mode (ok)
b. pull the players drawer handle: it slides to the bottom of the screen (ok)
c. now push the iPhone so that it lies flat on the table instead of vertical: the drawer extends beyond the screen, and I can't get the handle back (bad)
You can also go from a. to c. and then extend the drawer. It will overflow the same.
(BTW, I *love* the stop you've added to the slider to show only play controls in landscape mode. It is redundant when in screensaver in portrait mode, but I am glad you kept the large combo.)

What a great app. Thanks again, Pippin.

UPDATE: Alert, baby blue on approach! Editing the bottom shortcut buttons brings a metallic light blue top bar… Could you make it plain white instead ?

pippin
2012-10-13, 05:54
(iPhone 4/iOS5, here)
Same screen size, more features, greater usability: Coolio deserves an extra sardine today.

granted, granted :)

Lyrics in screensaver: great addition (I can expect a new iPad exclusive feature, right? ;))

Let me think one up :) There are still a few, though...

Perhaps it's not new, but I've just seen the "Popup notifications" preference. Off, thank you very much.

No, it's not new. And you only need it to turn them ON, because they will be turned off automatically if you hit that red "x" once :)

I also tried again the "Proximity sensor". It cuts the screen often when I approach my finger to hit a button on the screen. I've set it off again.

Yes, that's one of those features where I keep wondering whether I should remove it. The idea was to allow iPeng to run in the foreground so that it's quickly accessible but save some power by turning off the screen if you put it face-down on the table.
Now that we've got lock-screen access that might no longer be required.

I've seen one pixel defect:

Oh, indeed, didn't catch that one. This looks like a retina screen, is this an iPhone 4S or so on iOS 5? Seems like it gets wrongly positioned in iOS 5, can see it on my iToucg 3G, too, but that's non-retina.
Just want to be sure it's not a retina vs. non-retina thing.

Menu browsing in landscape mode: why not.

Because it's way to few rows, at least for me. I deeply regret ever having done the landscape mode but now it's there and some people even build installations with devices fixed in landscape orientation so I'll keep supporting it.

I've seen one defect on the players drawer in landscape mode, perhaps you can reproduce:
a. sit the iPhone on a table, upright on one of its longer sides: iPeng turns to landscape mode (ok)
b. pull the players drawer handle: it slides to the bottom of the screen (ok)
c. now push the iPhone so that it lies flat on the table instead of vertical: the drawer extends beyond the screen, and I can't get the handle back (bad)

Argh. Looks like I don't process the additional device orientations correctly.
See: THAT'S why I so deeply regret having done landscape mode...

Thanks for the pointer

(BTW, I *love* the stop you've added to the slider to show only play controls in landscape mode. It is redundant when in screensaver in portrait mode, but I am glad you kept the large combo.)

You can use that in portrait mode in the library as well. You can then fully navigate the App with left- and right swipes even though the top bar is hidden and have permanent access to your player controls.

UPDATE: Alert, baby blue on approach! Editing the bottom shortcut buttons brings a metallic light blue top bar… Could you make it plain white instead ?

No. Some of the icons are barely visible, too. I have zero control over that view, though. It always uses the default iPhone header scheme (this is NOT iPeng's blue, but iPhone's grey) and picks whatever text color it thinks was the last one used.
Same with the mail composer view.
Apple needs to allow more customizations here.

And I even discovered some I believe almost nobody has ever done before, or did you ever see a customized "More" button on any other App? Google-wisdom said you can't do that...

epoch1970
2012-10-13, 06:08
This looks like a retina screen, is this an iPhone 4S or so on iOS 5? Seems like it gets wrongly positioned in iOS 5, can see it on my iToucg 3G, too, but that's non-retina.
Just want to be sure it's not a retina vs. non-retina thing.
This is an early version iPhone 4, model MC603NF, running iOS 5.1.1 (9B206) --and it will stay this way until I can get a mapping app with street view under iOS6.

You can use that in portrait mode in the library as well.
I've seen this. Excellent, really.

(Sorry for the false alarm on baby blue. Trauma-induced overreaction, but reading your response I feel better ;) )

pippin
2012-10-13, 06:15
OK, then it's iOS 5 vs. 6. Thanks.

5 seems to enforce scaling of buttons while 6 does not, maybe it's scaling it up somehow...
On the up side the "penguin" button looks better in landscape on 5 than on 6 :)

bhaagensen
2012-10-13, 06:24
Now that we've got lock-screen access that might no longer be required.

Are the lock-screen controls supposed to work when using iPeng as a remote only [and not player]? They don't for me (and I thought due to the system-control integration being kind of a hack...) The album/track/etc info is there and sometimes even the cover, but none of the controls work.

One more thing. I thought I saw something in the teaser thread about the cover size on the now playing screen being an option - I can't find it?

Edit: Just to be clear - the controls work when iPeng is used as a player.
Edit2: Using iOS 6 on a 3GS

pippin
2012-10-13, 06:34
Are the lock-screen controls supposed to work when using iPeng as a remote only [and not player]? They don't for me (and I thought due to the system-control integration being kind of a hack...) The album/track/etc info is there and sometimes even the cover, but none of the controls work.

The integration itself is not a hack but an official API, making it usable as a remote is.
You need to enable "preserve connection" since you have to keep the App running or you can't control it.
Hope Apple never finds out about this...

One more thing. I thought I saw something in the teaser thread about the cover size on the now playing screen being an option - I can't find it?

Just pinch the cover, like on iPad :)

Fahzz
2012-10-13, 07:11
Quick question:

How do you set up the lyrics feature?

Nice update by the way-makes me want to buy an iPhone for myself, instead of "borrowing" the wife's.

pippin
2012-10-13, 07:30
How do you set up the lyrics feature?

http://penguinlovesmusic.de/ipeng-the-iphone-skin-for-squeezecenter/how-to-use-the-ipeng-application/known-issues/lyrics-in-ipeng/

MusicMonkey
2012-10-13, 09:10
Hi Pippin -

Superb update, I am thoroughly enjoying it, thank you!

Quick question: how do you clear the current playlist in v2.0? I believe that before you could click on the trash can and clear the playlist in 1 click, the trashcan was always displayed at the bottom. Now it seems you hit the edit playlist button, select all, click trash can, then hit edit/done again to get out of edit mode - that's 4 clicks. Am I failing to see a better way?

Minor suggestion: might it be possible to make it a little more visible when a player is "on" in the multi-player tab at top/center (and the pull-down screen)? I understand the white highlight incidates "on", but to my eyes, the visual cue doesnt' seem very pronounced (vs. off).

Thanks again.

CharlieG
2012-10-13, 09:16
This update is great!
I've liked the song lyric support running iPeng for iPad, it works just as well on my iPhone.

Just as a data point I'm using it on my iPhone 4GS running iOS 6 and everything is working well (i use it for contolling my Squeezeboxes, not for playback).

Thanks for continuing to update this app.
Charlie

pippin
2012-10-13, 09:35
Quick question: how do you clear the current playlist in v2.0? I believe that before you could click on the trash can and clear the playlist in 1 click, the trashcan was always displayed at the bottom. Now it seems you hit the edit playlist button, select all, click trash can, then hit edit/done again to get out of edit mode - that's 4 clicks. Am I failing to see a better way?

Three. No need to get out of edit mode :) It will do that automatically whenever you leave that screen or after a while.
Yes, I know that's something that got more difficult but it's actually just one tap more (before it was trash-confirm) and I figured it's something rarely used because the only reason I can find for it is when you start a new playlist and then you probably add tracks for quite a while later on.

I really wanted to clean up that main NowPlaying screen.

Minor suggestion: might it be possible to make it a little more visible when a player is "on" in the multi-player tab at top/center (and the pull-down screen)? I understand the white highlight incidates "on", but to my eyes, the visual cue doesnt' seem very pronounced (vs. off).

Minor???? You kidding? My designer and me have literally spent MONTHS trying to come up with good solutions for that one. My harddisc is full of failed design approaches.
As it turn out, there are three alternatives:
* Spend a separate button for Power (independent of the icon) -> more space used and more clutter on the NowPlaying screen
* Use abstract icons instead of the player artwork -> that's what we did in iPeng 1.2 and it turned out that everybody hated it
* Use player icons and accept it's a bit hard to tell -> the current solution.

It's the reason why I resisted for so long to have real player icons for the power buttons (this, and the fact that the volume sliders are now smaller) but it just looks better. A usually abhor "function-follows-form" kind of UIs but had to learn that there are some cases where something purely functional can turn people off, too.

MusicMonkey
2012-10-13, 09:47
Pippin -

Regarding your reply re. the on/off visual indicator: OK, no worries! Didn't realize it was that challenging, certainly not worth the headache, works well as it is!

Another thing I noticed regarding on/off: the "on" players jump to the top of the list on the multi-player screen, and the off ones bump to the bottom. Can't recall if it was like that before or not, my preference would be to make list of players not re-sort based on on/off, so that a particular player is always in the same spot you expect it to be within the list. Again, not a big deal either way.

Thanks again, 2.0 is excellent.

pippin
2012-10-13, 10:24
That re-ordering is partly caused by the server, partly on purpose.
What happens is that the Master in a synced group changes, if at least one player is playing, the master will always be a player powered on.
This is independent of iPeng, it's what the server does, but there's also an iPeng-related aspect: if you have a group of syncs players, then outside the NowPlaying screen iPeng will always use he Master for everything you do, so it will be the master's menus being shown (Unlike iPeng's own ones, Squeezebox menus provided by the server are per-player).

This is something you barely notice unless you have different "App" settings for different players but it might still be valuable to know this. So the top player in a group is always the master.

The reason why iPeng always uses the master in a group is a bit difficult to explain but it solves a number of issues you can otherwise easily have in a Squeezebox system. For example, I bet that a frequently reported "bug" where synced players "powered up on their own" annoying people in other rooms or waking them up, mysteriously disappears when using iPeng :) It's the right thing to do, even if it sounds a bit strange....

MusicMonkey
2012-10-13, 11:46
OK, that makes total sense: It has to do with whether the players are synced or not. If I unsync the players, then the sort order seems unaffected by turning a player on/off. The behavior of a master in a sync group helps to exlain it, got it. Thanks again.

Squeezemenicely
2012-10-14, 02:08
Love it! Another reason why Squeezeboxen rule the streaming world - no other streaming eco-system has such a great app!

bhaagensen
2012-10-14, 13:35
You need to enable "preserve connection" since you have to keep the App running or you can't control it.

Suggestion: Could the "preserve connection" setting be reworked such that the setting only takes effect if the player (status) is on? If the player is off, it would make sense if iPeng dropped the connection [as usual] - this way one could avoid draining the battery if nothing is playing anyway...?

I couldn't work out wether or not it actually works like this currently - I obviously think not...

pippin
2012-10-14, 13:46
Suggestion: Could the "preserve connection" setting be reworked such that the setting only takes effect if the player (status) is on?

No suggestion. It does already work that way although there was a bug preventing it from always working correctly in iPeng 1.4-1.6.1. Should be fine in 2.0, though. The App stays active in the background for the usual 10 minutes to give you _some_ chance to recover if you turn a player off but then it will go to sleep.

I couldn't work out wether or not it actually works like this currently - I obviously think not...

:) It was always supposed to work like that but there was a bug in the last few versions where it only work if iPeng actually kept the connection to the player, not when it was lost, e.g. because you left the home.
That's fixed now.

andynormancx
2012-10-15, 02:23
I'm never going to use the lyrics feature, yet I keep ending up on the screen for them...

Any chance of an option to turn the lyrics screen off completely ?

Also, the info buttons on the options screen don't seem to do anything at the moment.

pippin
2012-10-15, 05:25
I can't remove it completely (or it would be that way for everybody) but I need another screen there for some other use case so eventually I can do an option to use something else, probably a music information screen, in it's place.

I'll look after the info buttons, is this iOS 6?
EDIT: which info buttons do you mean? They work for me...

Steve Baumgarten
2012-10-15, 08:06
> I can't remove it completely (or it would be that way for everybody) but
> I need another screen there for some other use case so eventually I can
> do an option to use something else, probably a music information screen,
> in it's place.

A quick links page that lets you go directly to Allmusic.com for the
current artist or album (plus other related searches) might be nice. I
find it a great resource and have the app.

(I agree that lyrics aren't something I'd want to look at too much, though
I did set up the SongInfo/SongLyrics plugins just to see that it works.)

SBB

MelonMonkey
2012-10-16, 16:10
How do you shuffle play an entire album? There's no shuffle mode when adding tracks to the current play list.

If the volume is locked on a player (when using as a remote) please hide the volume slider and move the transport controls down.

Please consider switching to larger transport buttons on black background the same way that Apple has in their music player.

The multiplayer control is still about as confusing as it always was. I can barely tell players apart and other people who don't use iPeng are completely lost when they open that UI. There just isn't a decent grouping/delineation for each player and its associated controls. Better colors/border can improve it, but the best solution would need a refactoring of the UX/UI.

Swiping left and right on the Now Playing screen should stop when it reaches the last screen on the right or left. The current wrapping is unexpected. I would also recommend moving the lyrics somewhere else. Having the current track in the middle screen means you can't swipe blindly to get back to it. See Fitts' Law.

Consider offering a dark UI option - yes, you'll have to include dark versions of your button graphics. The light color is not to everyone's taste and can be a big distraction when operating the remote in a darker room.

As a future update, consider support for LRC format lyrics and the ability to display the current position with the lyrics - bouncing-ball or karaoke style. Soundhound does this for songs it samples for instance.

I'd love to see iPeng work with the myMusic app - currently MyMusic does not see what's playing in iPeng, only what's playing in Apple's own music player. MyMusic shows you information about the artist/album sourced (primarily) from Last.fm

I'd love to see some integration with RateYourMusic.com as well (probably the best music resource on the net today) - being able to rate albums for instance, plus being able to look at artist info/discographies and additional artist artwork/photos.

pippin
2012-10-16, 16:28
How do you shuffle play an entire album? There's no shuffle mode when adding tracks to the current play list.

Yes, I'm missing that one myself, too, I used it a lot. However, it was the single most confusing point in iPeng, there was a surprisingly high number of users who did not get this and thought it switches the shuffle mode or that it means you can't play a list straight. It was the single most complained-about UI element!
We tried several variants to do a more conclusive UI for this and didn't find one that doesn't eat up too much space. Apple does it with a button, but we needed that space for the play mode and also Apple scrolls away the header which we didn't want because it gives you quick access to the album context menu.
That's the "you can't make it right for everybody" case. At least: if you play the Album from the context menu, the shuffle mode will stay unchanged so it will still be on if it was before.

If the volume is locked on a player (when using as a remote) please hide the volume slider and move the transport controls down.

To show what instead?
It should be greyed out.

Please consider switching to larger transport buttons on black background the same way that Apple has in their music player.

I don't understand. what do you mean by "transport buttons"? Do you mean the skip ones? They are huge (actually bigger than Apple's), I'm sure you can't miss them.

The multiplayer control is still about as confusing as it always was. I can barely tell players apart and other people who don't use iPeng are completely lost when they open that UI. There just isn't a decent grouping/delineation for each player and its associated controls. Better colors/border can improve it, but the best solution would need a refactoring of the UX/UI.

suggestions welome
3 people have spent the better part of a year trying to come up with a better solution, this one is the best one we got so far.
I don't understand all of the other points and I don't have a better solution, please elaborate.

I would also recommend moving the lyrics somewhere else.

Where and what should go on the left hand screen? I need that screen.

Consider offering a dark UI option

As I explained several times over here and also an additional several times to you directly, it's technically not possible. Which part of "not posiible" did you not understand?
It has nothing to do with the graphics, there is no way to change the text color in the main menu and black text on black background doesn't look good.
I would have to remove the configurable buttons at the bottom of the screen, a feature most users value a lot.
Complain to Apple, I filed that radar 4 years ago.

As a future update, consider support for LRC format lyrics and the ability to display the current position with the lyrics - bouncing-ball or karaoke style. Soundhound does this for songs it samples for instance.
Soundhound has the funds to pay at least 30K$ per year for this because they are being OWNED by a content company, I don't. If you guarantee me to cover the cost, I'll do this in the very next release, I would LOVE that feature.
It's not going to happen.

DubMarc
2012-10-17, 09:30
What about for LRC files, just displaying the text (maybe stripping out the timing tags)? That way, we could get the lyrics from there. I've got some LRC files already, and would actually prefer to manage lyrics outside of the tags associated with the audio files.

Haven't paid much attention to them, but would if iPeng could display lyrics from there, even as static text that I could scroll myself.

pippin
2012-10-17, 10:57
No, because iPeng would not see them. Remember, the files are not on your iThingy, whatever iPeng can use needs to be understood and served up by the server.... Which pretty much brings us to a plugin....

DubMarc
2012-10-17, 10:59
No, because iPeng would not see them. Remember, the files are not on your iThingy, whatever iPeng can use needs to be understood and served up by the server.... Which pretty much brings us to a plugin....

Clearly. Sorry, not sure what I was thinking.

pippin
2012-10-17, 17:48
Well, it's not that clear after all you can't know what's available from the server. But in reality it's just music and metadata for that music, no additional files.

garym
2012-10-21, 06:35
I'm a long time user and fan of ipeng and ipengHD. I'd never used lyrics plugins on LMS and was in the camp of this screen being a waste (for me). But because of this screen I got curious and installed the two plugins needed and I've actually found it sorta cool to see the lyrics displayed on many songs.

bhaagensen
2012-10-21, 08:17
garym: glad to see I'm not alone - at least in this thread. Lyrics is among my most used features - I've used it prior to the 2.0 upgrade, which makes it orders of magnitudes more useful. I'd claim its one of the few features which are truly new and only possible to implement in apps such as iPeng - most everything else is little more than cooking another bowl of soup off old bones.

[OK, the app-stuff in iPeng is of the same caliber, but by far not as well integrated]

Edit: Am I so rare in not being able to extract the lyrics from the vocals? Native english-speaking folks, of course, have it easier, but still....?

chill
2012-10-21, 08:46
Edit: Am I so rare in not being able to extract the lyrics from the vocals? Native english-speaking folks, of course, have it easier, but still....?

Not at all! Native English speaker here - I still mumble past some tricky lyrics in songs I've been singing along to for years, decades even. Mind you, the lyrics plugin won't always help - I've seen some glaring errors occasionally. I've never looked into where the lyrics come from, but I guess there's an element of crowd-sourcing, and consequently some room for mistakes.

garym
2012-10-21, 08:50
Not at all! Native English speaker here - I still mumble past some tricky lyrics in songs I've been singing along to for years, decades even. Mind you, the lyrics plugin won't always help - I've seen some glaring errors occasionally. I've never looked into where the lyrics come from, but I guess there's an element of crowd-sourcing, and consequently some room for mistakes.

http://www.kissthisguy.com/

chill
2012-10-21, 09:01
http://www.kissthisguy.com/

Cool :)

This is the same mistake that one of my school friends once made : http://www.kissthisguy.com/1337misheard.htm

garym
2012-10-21, 09:05
Cool :)

This is the same mistake that one of my school friends once made : http://www.kissthisguy.com/1337misheard.htm

Strangely, Queen seems to suffer a lot of misheard lyrics. I myself thought I heard "another one rides the bus" many moons ago.

bhaagensen
2012-10-21, 09:23
Yeah - not saying the lyrics nor the implementation is impossible to improve - its just so much better than it ever was. pippin has explained why the former is hard and for the latter I can see a point in that folks playing e.g. mostly instrumental music [classical etc] wouldn't have any use of it. But then why not just ignore that screen? Maybe the wrapping should be removed such that one doesn't get disoriented...

pippin
2012-10-21, 10:17
Yea, i believe the main issues with that screen are
a) it doesn't show anything without the plugin and for some reason the install link doesn't seem to show for some people. Have to investigate into that.
b) it's in one of the most prominent places in the App if you were used to the old UI so people upgrading might run into this quite often for a while, it was the same for me.
It's a bit like with Apple's change in the scroll-direction, you have to re-learn.

Mnyb
2012-10-22, 10:24
Strangely, Queen seems to suffer a lot of misheard lyrics. I myself thought I heard "another one rides the bus" many moons ago.

That is Weird Al's version it is or is it " another ones takes the bus " :)

gorman
2012-10-22, 17:22
Thanks for the continuing work on the app. Honestly I preferred the old three panels. Lyrics are not so useful to warrant such a preminent place IMHO.

pippin
2012-10-22, 18:15
Suggestions what else should be there? I'm just asking because I do indeed need an alternative for one reason or the other.

The screen was up for grabs since the player list did get an even more prominent position (where it's directly accessible not only from NowPlaying but also from the library).

CharlieG
2012-10-23, 03:35
...the player list did get an even more prominent position (where it's directly accessible not only from NowPlaying but also from the library).

It seems I am on my own island of one person who thinks the new layout is better :-)
Maybe because I like the lyrics plugin and have been using iPeng HD on my iPad (which already had this 3 screen layout) for some time now.

chill
2012-10-23, 05:26
It seems I am on my own island of one person who thinks the new layout is better :-)
Maybe because I like the lyrics plugin and have been using iPeng HD on my iPad (which already had this 3 screen layout) for some time now.

Charlie, you're not alone. I like the layout exactly as it is now, and I hope that if Pippin chooses to modify the layout in response to comments here, then he'll allow us to maintain this layout as an option.

It seems to me that the criticisms could be addressed by:
- making the 'non-essential' pages optional (ie, NOT the 'now playing' and 'playlist' pages) - perhaps a configuration option to enable/disable the lyrics page and future pages,
- making the looping an option, since some users prefer not to be able to swipe right from the 'now playing' page to the lyrics page

I have no idea if these things are possible - I get the impression from Pippin's responses that the third page is somehow required - is there a minimum number of pages to make the page scrolling work?

garym
2012-10-23, 05:29
The lyrics page never bothered me with ipengHD on my ipad. Just ignored it. On the new iPeng it caused me to actually figure out how to use it. I'll never be a big lyrics user, but I thought it was kinda cool when I installed the plugins and could see the lyrics. More for impressing visitors than for my own use. ;-)

pippin
2012-10-23, 06:33
Just to be clear:
1. I have no plans to remove the Lyrics page.
2. I can not remove pages because I need at least three or the UI has to switch to something that only ever supports two (NowPlaying and Playlist)
3. I need something for iPeng UE, because there you can't have Lyrics, so either I change the UI there, or I need another idea for a 3rd page. THAT was the reason I'm asking. If I find something nice for UE, that could as well become an option for the SB iPeng as well.

What I wanted to say above is that the problem with people running into the Lyrics play and finding no use for it is temporary until they get used to the new UI.

Mnyb
2012-10-23, 08:05
Regarding option 3.

If you want a set of configurable options on what to show " more info " and " view tags" could be options even if it duplicates what you already have .

Or put together some stats of the current playlist name etc if it is a saved playlist .

Or some server stats .

On UE it could be an option to show which local computer It is conected to .

I'm happy with the lyrics :) just giving input to what else to show .

hvb83
2012-10-23, 09:00
Loving the new layout, though I do find some bugs. Please take this as constructive help and not to criticize your hard work, but I've found that users often don't report bugs and just hope that someone else will...

- the hud for volume will sometimes not disappear after the volume has been adjusted.
- increasing the volume with the volume bar at the bottom of the screen works intermittently, eg. you can't increase it in one subtle sweap, but have to swipe several times in order to increase the volume by more than 10-15%.
- increasing the volume with the volume bar at the bottom of the screen will often result in skipping to a next or previous track.
- I've noticed on several occasions that selecting a new album directly from the album list will have the second track on that album play, instead of the 1st as it should (I've tried this with an old iPhone with 1.4.2 and this behaviour could not be reproduced)
- battery consumption on my 4 is much higher than it was on the old versions, using the same iOS as before and the same iPeng settings.

Perhaps this has been reported by others, but I wasn't able to find input on these issues by others.

pippin
2012-10-23, 09:17
Loving the new layout, though I do find some bugs. Please take this as constructive help and not to criticize your hard work, but I've found that users often don't report bugs and just hope that someone else will...

Seriously: I _love_ bug reports. How else should you know what's going on. Nothing worse than people saying "full of bugs" on the App Store and never reporting anything.
My favorite right now is "crashes all the time". There are exactly THREE crash reports under iOS 6 in Apple's crash report tool, ZERO for all previous iOS version (unfortunately the three ones are very inconclusive.... it crashes in iOS' own even handling, not iPeng, I believe I know what's going on but have no idea where it's coming from, hopefully the net update already fixes it). From the crash reports I'm seeing this is by _far_ the most stable iPeng version ever.

- the hud for volume will sometimes not disappear after the volume has been adjusted.

Interesting. I've never seen that. Can you somehow reproduce it? Ah, wait... Does this happen when iPeng also accidentally skips?

- increasing the volume with the volume bar at the bottom of the screen works intermittently, eg. you can't increase it in one subtle sweap, but have to swipe several times in order to increase the volume by more than 10-15%.
- increasing the volume with the volume bar at the bottom of the screen will often result in skipping to a next or previous track.

OK, I believe all of these might be the same cause.... I did already submit a fix for this more than a week ago to the App Store, however, I obviously did run into the embargo days around their announcement today. Let's hope they release it some time this week.

- I've noticed on several occasions that selecting a new album directly from the album list will have the second track on that album play, instead of the 1st as it should (I've tried this with an old iPhone with 1.4.2 and this behaviour could not be reproduced)

How do you play it? By tapping a track or by tapping the cover? If it's the cover, it's not iPeng's fault, then iPeng just sends a "play album" command, the rest is done by the server.
If it's by tapping a track, I'll have to investigate, I can imagine this could happen....

- battery consumption on my 4 is much higher than it was on the old versions, using the same iOS as before and the same iPeng settings.

Hehe... I hear that with _every_ version from somebody. I assume you are talking about battery consumption with the App running? Battery consumption depends a lot on how much you browse and scroll and on how much server communication you've got (which depends on how stable the connection is and how often it breaks down).
There is no change whatsoever in iPeng's communication behavior between 1.6 and 2.0, I don't think there is any change in power consumption caused by this redesign.

There is one thing that _did_ change, albeit half a year ago, and that is the behavior if you can't reach a server that is still in your server list (because it has WOL set to on or it is manually configured). iPeng now tries to reconnect to that one more frequently and this can indeed cause more power consumption. I had to do this since the old behavior caused issues in some situations where players would not be found at all.
And, as always, have an eye on "preserve connection", although that should actually have gotten _better_ in 2.0 since it no longer stays active if you lose the server connection.

hvb83
2012-10-23, 12:27
Interesting. I've never seen that. Can you somehow reproduce it? Ah, wait... Does this happen when iPeng also accidentally skips?

I can reproduce it quite simple. It happens almost every time I use the volume bar. It briefly flashes once I adjust the volume again, but keeps being displayed. Apart from that, the GUI behaves as if the hud isn't there; items underneath it can still be clicked.

How do you play it? By tapping a track or by tapping the cover? If it's the cover, it's not iPeng's fault, then iPeng just sends a "play album" command, the rest is done by the server.
If it's by tapping a track, I'll have to investigate, I can imagine this could happen....

I play it by tapping the album cover. But I've done so for 3 years and I've never noticed this behavior. And I've still got an old 3G with 1.6.1 and on that phone I can't replicate it either, but on 2.0 I can. For the record, I'm using a jailbroken version of 5.1.1 on an iPhone 4, but only have one Cydia app installed, being a bluetooth profile selector. If you want I can update the iPeng on my GF's phone, which is a 4S with iOS6.

Hehe... I hear that with _every_ version from somebody. I assume you are talking about battery consumption with the App running? Battery consumption depends a lot on how much you browse and scroll and on how much server communication you've got (which depends on how stable the connection is and how often it breaks down).
There is no change whatsoever in iPeng's communication behavior between 1.6 and 2.0, I don't think there is any change in power consumption caused by this redesign.

There is one thing that _did_ change, albeit half a year ago, and that is the behavior if you can't reach a server that is still in your server list (because it has WOL set to on or it is manually configured). iPeng now tries to reconnect to that one more frequently and this can indeed cause more power consumption. I had to do this since the old behavior caused issues in some situations where players would not be found at all.
And, as always, have an eye on "preserve connection", although that should actually have gotten _better_ in 2.0 since it no longer stays active if you lose the server connection.

I can imagine this will be a issue that many people complain about once a new version gets released, often not rightly, sometimes it is. iPeng is the app I use the most on my phone, by far, so I am pretty familiar with the behavior. The amount by which the battery is emptied even after a short amount of using iPeng is much more than it was on the 1.5/1.6.x versions. Always have the "keep server connection" switched on and I have no issues with the server connection or stability. Perhaps you can't see any reason why this would have changed at this time, but as with your first remark: if nobody reports it, then you don't know there might be an issue in this area. ;)

bluegaspode
2012-10-23, 14:36
My favorite right now is "crashes all the time". There are exactly THREE crash reports under iOS 6 in Apple's crash report tool, ZERO for all previous iOS version (unfortunately the three ones are very inconclusive.... it crashes in iOS' own even handling, not iPeng, I believe I know what's going on but have no idea where it's coming from, hopefully the net update already fixes it). From the crash reports I'm seeing this is by _far_ the most stable iPeng version ever.

Don't rely on Apples crash reporting. It's the most major unreliable feature out there. Go for HockeyApp or Bugsense, which allow users to send crash reports directly to you.
You will be shocked about the amount of crashes that happen in the wild world on a daily basis. At least I was for SqueezePad, which I already considered pretty stable at the time I introduced this type of reporting (and which actually didn't have or has users complaining about crashes in the AppStore comments).

These tools also symbolicate online, so the trouble with importing reports into XCode is gone as well.

pippin
2012-10-23, 16:08
I can reproduce it quite simple. It happens almost every time I use the volume bar. It briefly flashes once I adjust the volume again, but keeps being displayed. Apart from that, the GUI behaves as if the hud isn't there; items underneath it can still be clicked.

Yes, I can reproduce it. It's related to the swipe problem. Will be fixed in the next update.

I play it by tapping the album cover. But I've done so for 3 years and I've never noticed this behavior. And I've still got an old 3G with 1.6.1 and on that phone I can't replicate it either, but on 2.0 I can. For the record, I'm using a jailbroken version of 5.1.1 on an iPhone 4, but only have one Cydia app installed, being a bluetooth profile selector. If you want I can update the iPeng on my GF's phone, which is a 4S with iOS6.

Is it always the second track? Do you maybe have the shuffle mode on?
This is not a CustomBrowse menu or anything right (not that I think it would make a difference).
iPeng here really just sends a "play album" command, I don't see how the iOS version or the jailbreak could have any influence on that.
Also, iPeng really doesn't influence what track the server plays.
And there is no change there.

Always have the "keep server connection" switched on and I have no issues with the server connection or stability.
But that will indeed consume power, albeit in the background.
How long is your current playlist?
Do you see spontaneous main-menu reloads?

Don't rely on Apples crash reporting. It's the most major unreliable feature out there. Go for HockeyApp or Bugsense, which allow users to send crash reports directly to you.

Yes, you are right, I should do that.
Always wanted to avoid to have to write a privacy policy but well, sometimes you have to start.... Do you have a good template or something or did you write one from scratch?

Mnyb
2012-10-23, 17:20
I would love to send a crash report :) my iPeng install on my iPad 1 is one of them that still crash frequently , but I got used to it , if every time you see the penguins is an actual restart , usually happens when it has been in the background a while rarely seen it during usage then it just works .

But I believe IOS to be crash phone a lot of apps do this ime , for example the app store itself .

pippin
2012-10-23, 17:28
Oh, but "in the backgound" on an iPad 1 is really normal, that's not a crash.
Apps get killed in the background by the OS if the OS needs their memory. And iPad 1 is _really_ short on RAM, that's also why there is no iOS 6 for it.
It has as much Ram as an iPhone 3GS but needs to process 2.5 times the amount of graphics, Apps almost never survive the use of other Apps in the background on my iPad 1.

Mnyb
2012-10-23, 18:08
Oh, but "in the backgound" on an iPad 1 is really normal, that's not a crash.
Apps get killed in the background by the OS if the OS needs their memory. And iPad 1 is _really_ short on RAM, that's also why there is no iOS 6 for it.
It has as much Ram as an iPhone 3GS but needs to process 2.5 times the amount of graphics, Apps almost never survive the use of other Apps in the background on my iPad 1.

Safari ,mail and YouTube and som other apps usually survives in the background so it is doable ( but in the case of youtube pointless as the conection has expired and it needs a restart if it is a to long time ).

But none of my favourite apps survive well in the background :-/ that iPad 3 looks tempting.. But I better get new glasses first so that I apriciate the difference ,without glasses I think reading on iPad 1 is ok :D I don't see the pixels and it is not blurrier than anything else

pippin
2012-10-23, 18:16
Safari ,mail and YouTube and som other apps usually survives in the background so it is doable

Now... what does this particular list of Apps tell us?
Yes, of course it's doable for Apple. That doesn't mean it's "doable" for other App developers. You have zero control. You can try to play nicely by freeing up a lot of memory (iPeng actually gets quite lean in the background) but all of that doesn't help if the foreground App (and Safari, Mail and YouTube, btw) consume a lot of memory.

But none of my favourite apps survive well in the background

That's probably because they are not from Apple.

:-/ that iPad 3 looks tempting..
Now... that iPad 3 isn't sold anymore, though, at least by Apple :) You can get an iPad 4 instead. Missed when they start to ship it, though. Probably in a few days.

Mnyb
2012-10-23, 18:25
I have bunch off non apple apps that survive to Facebook rarely restarts for example or some other apps I have , your competition SqueezePad is somewhat in between it does stay on rather well .

But the other complex app I use iRule also,restarts quite often 1/10 when I get it from the background .

Well iPad4 :) it is probably iPad 5 when I decide....

pippin
2012-10-23, 18:32
Again: memory use aside it depends much more on what you run in the foreground than on the background App.
SqueezePad always stays running in the background for 10 minutes, that helps (although not entirely) but eats some battery, you can get this in iPeng, too, if you select the "preserve connection" setting (then for even longer) or if the playback is enabled and the player is "on" (not necessarily playing).

Oh, and btw: the "blue" start screen doesn't mean the App quit, only if you see the page with the coolio images the App was really shut down.

Mnyb
2012-10-23, 18:51
Again: memory use aside it depends much more on what you run in the foreground than on the background App.
SqueezePad always stays running in the background for 10 minutes, that helps (although not entirely) but eats some battery, you can get this in iPeng, too, if you select the "preserve connection" setting (then for even longer) or if the playback is enabled and the player is "on" (not necessarily playing).

Oh, and btw: the "blue" start screen doesn't mean the App quit, only if you see the page with the coolio images the App was really shut down.

It is a mixed bag sometimes coolio sometimes the blue start screen ,but only expect the blue starts screen once ,when I start the app otherwise I always expect the exact view I had when I switched app , yes preserve conection is on , the internal player is on .

pippin
2012-10-23, 19:14
No, the blue screen sometimes even shows when the App is in fact still just suspended. I believe it's when iOS has freed up the last screen shot of the App it made when you left it (which is what gets shown otherwise) or if the orientation has changed. The latter obviously never happens with SqueezePad which only supports landscape....

hvb83
2012-10-23, 23:00
Yes, I can reproduce it. It's related to the swipe problem. Will be fixed in the next update.

Great! :)

Is it always the second track? Do you maybe have the shuffle mode on?
This is not a CustomBrowse menu or anything right (not that I think it would make a difference).
iPeng here really just sends a "play album" command, I don't see how the iOS version or the jailbreak could have any influence on that.
Also, iPeng really doesn't influence what track the server plays.
And there is no change there.

Be that as it may, I have one phone with 1.6.1 that does not show this behavior and one with 2.0 that does do it. I have found the way to reproduce it however: if the players that I want to start playing are switched off and I start them by selecting an album (by clicking the cover art), the entire playlist will be loaded and the 2nd track will start playing. I've tried this 8 times between both phones. during those tries 1.6.1 never showed this behavior and 2.0 did every time. Shuffle play is not turned on.

I know it may sound strange to you, but if you want I can make you a video that shows the error occurring. Just let me know what settings and information you exactly want to see in the video.

But that will indeed consume power, albeit in the background.
How long is your current playlist?
Do you see spontaneous main-menu reloads?

It depends, sometimes over 1500 tracks, sometimes just a single album. The longer playlists are loaded instantly, no incremental updates of the playlist because the server can't manage or anything. No spontaneous menu reloading. For me however, the number of tracks in the playlist doesn't seem to make a difference on the battery consumption.

pippin
2012-10-24, 00:05
I have found the way to reproduce it however: if the players that I want to start playing are switched off and I start them by selecting an album (by clicking the cover art), the entire playlist will be loaded and the 2nd track will start playing.

OK, I will give this a try, this is interesting, I do see a way how that could be although I still don't know where the change between 1.6.1 and 2 should be. Are all settings under "iPeng Settings" the same?

EDIT: I still can't reproduce this. This is pretty weird. Are these synced players? Have you set them to power on together (sync power setting in the server's web interface)?
Do you control the same player in both cases? Is one of them a SqueezeSlave? Is the "Don't Group Controls" setting the same?

It depends, sometimes over 1500 tracks, sometimes just a single album. The longer playlists are loaded instantly, no incremental updates of the playlist because the server can't manage or anything.
Define "instantaneous". For me a 1,500 track playlist would always take at least a minute to fully load, probably longer on slower servers.

hvb83
2012-10-24, 01:22
OK, I will give this a try, this is interesting, I do see a way how that could be although I still don't know where the change between 1.6.1 and 2 should be. Are all settings under "iPeng Settings" the same?

I'm quite sure they are, but will check tonight when I get home.

EDIT: I still can't reproduce this. This is pretty weird. Are these synced players? Have you set them to power on together (sync power setting in the server's web interface)? Do you control the same player in both cases?
They are synced players, a group consisting of a Touch and two Radio's. They don't power on together. Up to now I've only tested it when powering on the Touch, but I'll test it tonight with the Radio to see if it happens on that one too.

Is one of them a SqueezeSlave?
It used to be, but the SqueezeSlave (the iPhone player integrated in iPeng), is now independent and was not used in the test I did this morning. During the test it was connected to the server, but not playing or even powered on (on the server, the iPhone and iPeng were of course running..).

Is the "Don't Group Controls" setting the same?
Yes they are, all players are controlled individually when it comes to power and volume.

Define "instantaneous". For me a 1,500 track playlist would always take at least a minute to fully load, probably longer on slower servers.
I'll get my stopwatch out tonight. ;) Maybe not within seconds, but certainly not a minute. Probably closer to ten seconds or something. Much faster than I can handle. :D

pippin
2012-10-24, 01:53
It used to be, but the SqueezeSlave (the iPhone player integrated in iPeng), is now independent and was not used in the test I did this morning. During the test it was connected to the server, but not playing or even powered on (on the server, the iPhone and iPeng were of course running..).

iPeng is not SqueezeSlave, also not SqueezePlay, it's a completely independent implementation of the player protocol.
Sorry, I didn't mean just a software player but SqueezeSlave in particular since I recently had a discussion with a user who had an issue where SqueezeSlave skipped first tracks (not only when using iPeng), but I think that was a specific issue. However, if one player skips, it drags the others with it in a sync group.

Yes they are, all players are controlled individually when it comes to power and volume.

So you have that setting in iPeng set to "on"?

I'll get my stopwatch out tonight. ;) Maybe not within seconds, but certainly not a minute. Probably closer to ten seconds or something. Much faster than I can handle. :D
Wow. Sounds like I need a faster server. Although... trying this here I also found it to be much faster than I remembered it to be so LMS probably got much faster here than earlier server incarnations. With SBS 7.5 this could have easily taken 5 minutes for me and I even use the default 500 tracks limit.

hvb83
2012-10-24, 03:23
iPeng is not SqueezeSlave, also not SqueezePlay, it's a completely independent implementation of the player protocol.
Sorry, I didn't mean just a software player but SqueezeSlave in particular since I recently had a discussion with a user who had an issue where SqueezeSlave skipped first tracks (not only when using iPeng), but I think that was a specific issue. However, if one player skips, it drags the others with it in a sync group.

Ah ok, didn't know that. But no, only "real" Squeezebox players and your iPeng-player implementation.

So you have that setting in iPeng set to "on"?
Yes, this setting is on. For completeness, I have all settings to on on the 2.0 version, except for "prevent sleep", "don't skip", "connect to server", "Use English wikipedia" and "Party mode". No additional servers are added.

bluegaspode
2012-10-24, 04:45
Do you have a good template or something or did you write one from scratch?

I'm am using the same, that did already work great at times when such reports were sent directly to Apple.
In addition the user is asked, if he wants to send a report directly after a crash.

pippin
2012-10-24, 06:31
I'm am using the same, that did already work great at times when such reports were sent directly to Apple.

aka "none" :) Same as myself. Apple asks users for permission, though.

In addition the user is asked, if he wants to send a report directly after a crash.
Ah, didn't know that. That helps a lot, of course.
I thought it sends reports in the background without notifying the user like the TestFlight API and some of these "usage monitor" libraries and that would have been a no-go without a dedicated privacy policy.

pippin
2012-10-24, 19:24
The iPeng 2.0.1 update is now in the App Store.

It fixes a number of smaller issues with 2.0 and brings some smaller improvements:

Improvements:
* new: trash icon back on the current playlist screen
* new: select different sleep intervals for the "sleep" shortcut when holding the pause-button.

Fixes:
* fixed: moving volume or progress sliders no longer trigger skip-gestures (that's the big one)
* fixed: you can now send help mails under iOS 6 again.
* fixed: native ALAC playback using the playback In-App-Purchase
* fixed: Twitter support (that was not related to iPeng 2.0 but caused by a discontinued endpoint on Twitters side and also affects all other iPeng versions)

05mattjax
2012-10-25, 11:12
Will there be any settings for customising the now playing screen in the future? Like making artwork bigger and narrative smaller etc/disabling swipe to lyrics screen etc. I prefer bigger artwork - I believe it was bigger on old ipeng.

garym
2012-10-25, 11:22
Will there be any settings for customising the now playing screen in the future? Like making artwork bigger and narrative smaller etc/disabling swipe to lyrics screen etc. I prefer bigger artwork - I believe it was bigger on old ipeng.

Pinch and expand to make ipeng art larger

hvb83
2012-10-25, 11:51
Wow. Sounds like I need a faster server. Although... trying this here I also found it to be much faster than I remembered it to be so LMS probably got much faster here than earlier server incarnations. With SBS 7.5 this could have easily taken 5 minutes for me and I even use the default 500 tracks limit.

Ran some tests, takes approx. 22 seconds to load a 1000 track playlist, doesn't matter if it's flac or mp3. Though I have to say that I don't run any heavy plugins like custom browse at the moment.

The problem with the 2nd track starting to play has been solved. I deleted iPeng and reinstalled it, the issue was gone after that.

And the other issues are gone too after the 2.01 update. So I'm very happy once again. :)

pippin
2012-10-25, 12:08

As garym stated: you can pinch to zoom the artwork but on pre-iPhone-5 devices it will them be overlaid by the text.
If you look at the screen closely you will notice that making the text "smaller" won't help, the only option that allows to show the artwork in full width without an overlay would be to either entirely remove the text or the controls at the bottom of the screen or to do a small text and completely remove the player-selection tab. None of these things I will do.
Like everything in life, this is a compromise...

On Lyrics: I don't think options to disable functionality are a good thing to do so I won't disable the lyrics screen unless I have anything else to show there, can't use the swipe gesture for anything else anyway without adding more confusion.
I also really believe that accidentally going to that page is a transitional issue because people are now used to swiping right to get to the player screen. That will go away, I'm sure. For example, I did learn the changed scrolling direction on the Mac pretty fast although I still have one pre-Lion device that scrolls the old way.

gorman
2012-10-25, 12:49
Is this compromise on iPhone 5 as well?

pippin
2012-10-25, 13:54
Is this compromise on iPhone 5 as well?

No, that's why I wrote "per-iPhone-5-devices". iPhone 5 (and iPod touch 5G) will always show full-sized artwork, there's enough space due to the added hight.
As difficult as it can be because the height of the new devices can be a bit challenging for "thumbs-only" users and because you have to redesign Apps to support two form factors, for quite a number of applications the added space can be useful. Actually iPeng is full of these cases, the lists and menus also gain from a few more rows of space, it hurts less to have the tab bar at the bottom.

pippin
2012-10-25, 16:42
A note on iPeng pricing for Euro-Area users:

If you are an iOS user in the Euro area you might have noticed that Apple recently changed the pricing levels for Apps. This means, that iPeng also now has a higher price in the Euro area.
Please note that we can not set individual prices for different countries or currencies, we can only set a global price tier and Apple has a table through which these prices get translated into different currencies. This table is what has now changed to reflect changes in exchange rates.
Here's more about it:
http://penguinlovesmusic.de/2012/10/26/a-brief-note-on-pricing/

gorman
2012-10-26, 02:02
Pippin, I definitely support the idea that iPeng is worth the price you ask for it. Even with new Euro prices. The amount of work you put into it so far is staggering.

05mattjax
2012-10-26, 13:18
As garym stated: you can pinch to zoom the artwork but on pre-iPhone-5 devices it will them be overlaid by the text.
If you look at the screen closely you will notice that making the text "smaller" won't help, the only option that allows to show the artwork in full width without an overlay would be to either entirely remove the text or the controls at the bottom of the screen or to do a small text and completely remove the player-selection tab. None of these things I will do.
Like everything in life, this is a compromise...

On Lyrics: I don't think options to disable functionality are a good thing to do so I won't disable the lyrics screen unless I have anything else to show there, can't use the swipe gesture for anything else anyway without adding more confusion.
I also really believe that accidentally going to that page is a transitional issue because people are now used to swiping right to get to the player screen. That will go away, I'm sure. For example, I did learn the changed scrolling direction on the Mac pretty fast although I still have one pre-Lion device that scrolls the old way.

Thanks for reply. I found the pinch option shortly after posting. As I don't have an iPhone 5 there's a compromise for me. When you tap the screen the track time bar appears at the bottom. It would be cool if the text at the top would appear/disappear same time as the time bar - that would help when artwork is maximised. I take on board you won't be changing anything in that regard but just a thought I'd like to share.

Can we toggle between prior ipeng releases? If I can I might just instal latest old release to see if I miss it!

pippin
2012-10-26, 14:05
Can we toggle between prior ipeng releases? If I can I might just instal latest old release to see if I miss it!

If you have a backup of the old version, you can delete the new one, drag the old one back into iTunes and sync it to the device.
That's the only way.

I thought about making the title disappear, too, but figured more people would want to keep the text around and having two different toggle modes would probably add too much UI complexity.

pippin
2012-12-05, 18:11
Just in time for Christmas, iPeng got it’s winter look again and Coolio also brought a little gift with iPeng 2.0.4: The tile view for Albums on iPhone and iPod touch.

http://penguinlovesmusic.de/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/xmas_rund.png

Tile view is pretty much the same thing as on iPad: you can browse your Albums using big cover art tiles instead of a list with smaller artwork. Like on the iPad, they are fully scalable and the whole view is fully optional, so if you still prefer the list view, that’s still the default.

So you’re all set for these long winter nights with good music waiting for you.

http://penguinlovesmusic.de/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/IMG_1730_half.png

epoch1970
2012-12-06, 10:19
Love the new album view on my iPhone 4.
Thanks!

CharlieG
2012-12-06, 10:35
Is it only suppose to work at upper level album view?
If I select Albums>I get the scalable option.
If I select New Music>I get the scalable option.
If I select Artist>The Avett Brothers(or any artist, or All Albums)>the album art is not scalable.

thinker
2012-12-06, 10:55
I've got a critical mass of Squeezeboxes in my house now and I'm contemplating either getting a Squeezebox Controller or an iPod + iPeng. Any thoughts about one or the other? This would be something that lives in the living room full-time; I wouldn't be using the iPod as an iPod outside or anything. Cost-wise, they appear to be about the same. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.

azinck3
2012-12-06, 10:59
I've got a critical mass of Squeezeboxes in my house now and I'm contemplating either getting a Squeezebox Controller or an iPod + iPeng. Any thoughts about one or the other? This would be something that lives in the living room full-time; I wouldn't be using the iPod as an iPod outside or anything. Cost-wise, they appear to be about the same. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.

Copied from another thread where I argued against the controller:

The Controller is a relatively expensive single-purpose device. Compare this with an iPod touch which can do LOTS of things, including serve as a superior Squeezebox remote (or, if you prefer, it can even server as a Squeezebox player). Other negatives of the Controller:

1) It's quite slow/sluggish
2) Abysmal battery life. You have to replace the battery on these things every year or two, and you pretty much have to leave the Controller in the charger at all times; if you want to carry it around for a few hours you'll probably exhaust the battery.
3) I had intermittent issues with lousy wifi reception with mine
4) As has been mentioned, the actual interface is kinda hard to use. The scroll wheel isn't terribly smooth or precise; combine that with the sluggishness and I always felt it ended up being really fussy.

In my opinion, the Controller is absolutely the worst squeezebox product ever developed and there's no reason to buy one now that there are alternatives like the iPod Touch.

bhaagensen
2012-12-06, 12:29
The 2.04 update is really cool - thanks!

iPeng vs. Controllere. iPeng - no doubt if its going to be a dedicated device.

epoch1970
2012-12-06, 13:08
1) It's quite slow/sluggish
2) Abysmal battery life. You have to replace the battery on these things every year or two, and you pretty much have to leave the Controller in the charger at all times; if you want to carry it around for a few hours you'll probably exhaust the battery.
3) I had intermittent issues with lousy wifi reception with mine
4) As has been mentioned, the actual interface is kinda hard to use. The scroll wheel isn't terribly smooth or precise; combine that with the sluggishness and I always felt it ended up being really fussy.
I concur 100%. I gave away mine, it was useless and the battery went dead within 1.5 yrs or so, even though it was resting in its cradle most of the time. There is no comparison possible between iTouch/iPeng and a Controller.

Other arguments:
- Controller was a (very, very) poor software player. iPeng is a good one.
- An iTouch probably has good wifi-N capability, and you'll like that when using cover album views etc (the Controller offers a finicky wifi-g as already said.)
- An iTouch has a lot of other uses
- Lots of customers for a 2nd hand iTouch, much less for Controllers.

d6jg
2012-12-06, 13:29
iPeng no contest. Controller is/was a complete waste of money.
With an iPod / iPeng controller you can sit and listen while surfing the web for important forum posts etc, check your email, play a game (if you must), chat to your friends on Twitter or Facebook.
With a Controller you can put it back in its charger.

pippin
2012-12-06, 13:32
If I select Artist>The Avett Brothers(or any artist, or All Albums)>the album art is not scalable.

Oh wow, you are right. Looks like I forgot to enable it for lower level views. Sorry for that, will get fixed in the next update.
Stupid little error, wonder why nobody noticed it in the beta test.

But to be honest, most of the testing was on the UE branch of iPeng and there it's always been enabled so I probably mixed this up.

CharlieG
2012-12-06, 13:34
Oh wow, you are right. Looks like I forgot to enable it from the Artists view. Sorry for that, will get fixed in the next update.

Thanks,
I thought it may have been just me :-)

Steve Agnew
2012-12-06, 16:17
Hi Pippin,

You asked for a suggestion for what could go onto the third page for iPeng users who didn't want to show song lyrics.

The n-Stream iPhone app for Naim has a very nice looking album information page including a review which would be a terrific addition to iPeng. You get there by pressing the information icon on the now playing screen. I've attached a couple of screen shots so you can see the initial screen with the first part of the album review and the track listing that you can scroll down to, as well as the full review which you see when you tap the disclosure icon.

You can sort of do the same thing in iPeng by holding your finger down until the context menu appears and then selecting Wikipedia but the one-click version in n-Stream is pretty slick.

Regards, Steve.

pippin
2012-12-06, 22:10
Yes, that's kind of what I had in mind, too.
Would have to be something like wikipedia or a publicly available site, though, a lot of the commercial ones don't allow you to use their data for commercial Apps.
Wikipedia has a white background, which is why I didn't just go for it :)

ModelCitizen
2012-12-07, 03:11
Sorry to interject. This for info only.

Hi Pippin.
Hopefully you got my crash report but yesterday iPeng on iPhone 3GS crashed again. The problem with changing the volume on a player seems to have returned (if it ever truly left). This is with the Christmas version.

pippin
2012-12-07, 06:58
Don't know whether it was yours but I did get some truly helpful crash reports. bluegaspode was right, HockeyApp's crash reporting is really so much better than Apple's and also TestFlight's (which has the added issue of being unacceptable from a privacy policy standpoint except for beta testing because it sends data without asking, which is why I never used it in the wild).

Sorry, I forgot which volume issue you had, it's not the one with volume changes causing skips, right?
Was it about changing volume when exiting or entering the App? _That_ problem would be a known issue by now if you use an LMS 7.5.x. It's caused by the server sending a wrong number of New Music entries. I have a fix but it's not in the current version, will be in the next.

ModelCitizen
2012-12-07, 07:11
Ahh. I used the have the volume skipping issue. The error report that the app sent to you yesterday (or may have been the day before) was when it crashed.

pippin
2012-12-07, 09:34
What were you doing when it crashed?
Also, you mentioned a volume issue that's supposedly still there, what volume issue did you mean?

ModelCitizen
2012-12-07, 12:06
I was not really paying attention I'm afraid but adjusting the volume caused the music to drop out and then it crashed, but I might have started another action when it crashed. I'll pay more attention next time I use it. Sorry.

pippin
2012-12-07, 12:09
Was iPeng's player somehow involved?

ModelCitizen
2012-12-07, 12:23
Nope

ModelCitizen
2012-12-07, 18:00
You should have another crash report from me tonight Pippin. Some time between 21 and 22hrs GMT. It happened when I hit the home button (top left) from a now playing screen. The player was a Boom, server 7.7.2. My wireless network includes wireless repeaters for extended coverage (not that I've ever noticed any issues with it).

ReValveiT
2012-12-08, 11:58
Pippin,

Have you ever considered doing a PC player? Squeezeplay is fine, but it has its limitations (doesn't do 24/96) and is beta software.

Seems to me, with your knowlage and coding experience, you could make the ultiamate PC playback app - especially now that the hardware is no longer produced.

It would be a great way of continuing to use your superb remote even after the hardware has gone.

I'd be more than happy to pay a good few quid for such a player.

:)

fillmore
2012-12-08, 13:01
ipeng 2.0 is really good stuff. still use it on ipad and old iphones for a controller, but this app really needs to be available for android. its great.

thinker
2012-12-09, 01:18
Okay, I'm considering giving iPeng a try. I installed iPeng Party, but it says it can't find my player. I'm running the latest squeezeserver on the same Wifi network that my iPhone is connected to. I'm somewhat hesitant to pay $6 for the full iPeng if iPeng Party isn't even working. Any idea what I'm missing here?

pippin
2012-12-09, 04:44
Is your Squeezebox also connected to the server or maybe to MySqueezebox.com?
You can't enter your account for MySqueezebox.com in iPeng Party since that would be against the philosophy of iPeng Party (giving away the credentials would give you permanent, full access) so you can only remotely configure this through the full iPeng.
With the "normal" iPeng you can just tap "MySqueezebox.com" and register it when you use it the first time to make it work (unlike Logitech, iPeng doesn't force you to register).

iPeng Party also doesn't show disconnected players (disconnected from a server)

Please check for that and maybe switch your Squeezebox to your server by selecting "My Mysic" on the Squeezebox.
Server discovery is usually very reliable in both iPeng and iPeng Party if you are on the same network.

garym
2012-12-09, 05:36
Is your Squeezebox also connected to the server or maybe to MySqueezebox.com?
You can't enter your account for MySqueezebox.com in iPeng Party since that would be against the philosophy of iPeng Party (giving away the credentials would give you permanent, full access) so you can only remotely configure this through the full iPeng.
With the "normal" iPeng you can just tap "MySqueezebox.com" and register it when you use it the first time to make it work (unlike Logitech, iPeng doesn't force you to register).

iPeng Party also doesn't show disconnected players (disconnected from a server)

Please check for that and maybe switch your Squeezebox to your server by selecting "My Mysic" on the Squeezebox.
Server discovery is usually very reliable in both iPeng and iPeng Party if you are on the same network.

As a long-time happy user, I can assure you that ipeng or ipengHD work flawlessly. If you own SB players, ipeng will be the best $6 you ever spent.

(also, be sure that the phone is connected to WIFI....occasionally I forget, and my phone is on 3G and I'm wondering why it is not seeing my SB players and LMS.....duh! it has to be on WIFI in my network.)

thinker
2012-12-09, 10:57
My iPhone is Wi-Fi only, so it's definitely on the right network. I can access the Squeeze center via Safari, so reachability isn't an issue. It also shows all of my players. Can I specify the IP of the Squeeze center?

garym
2012-12-09, 11:01
My iPhone is Wi-Fi only, so it's definitely on the right network. I can access the Squeeze center via Safari, so reachability isn't an issue. It also shows all of my players. Can I specify the IP of the Squeeze center?

you can in regular iPeng. Not sure about ipeng party. But should pick up automatically, so not sure why you're iphone is not seeing it.

garym
2012-12-09, 11:02
you can in regular iPeng. Not sure about ipeng party. But should pick up automatically, so not sure why you're iphone is not seeing it.

also, what iOS is your iphone running? Given that it is wifi only I guess it is jailbroken or old iphone with old iOS???

thinker
2012-12-09, 11:03
also, what iOS is your iphone running? Given that it is wifi only I guess it is jailbroken or old iphone with old iOS???

It's an iPhone 3G running 4.2.1. It's not currently jailbroken, but if I'm going to run iPeng fulltime, it will be to disable the lock screen.

garym
2012-12-09, 11:04
It's an iPhone 3G running 4.2.1. It's not currently jailbroken, but if I'm going to run iPeng fulltime, it will be to disable the lock screen.

hmmm, pippin needs to chime in on this. I know that the current version of ipeng doesn't work on some older models of iphone. I'm recalling 3G or later, but Pippin can confirm.

pippin
2012-12-09, 11:10
First: you say "SqueezeCenter". Which version do you use? IPeng does NOT work with Slimserver 6.x... "SqueezeCenter" should mean 7.x, though.

You can indeed configure your IP address manually in iPeng (not in iPeng Party) but you really shouldn't have to unless you've got an exotic network configuration that requires routing.
Could I ask for the IP address of your iPhone and SqueezeCenter? You can mail me under coolio att penguinlovesmusic dott com if you prefer that.

What do you see in iPeng Party if you tap the title bar (where it shows "no player found")?

pippin
2012-12-09, 11:12
Oh, that's true. iPhone 3G indeed is no longer supported. I'm sorry, not really our choice, Apple has removed all support for 1st and 2nd generation devices from their developer tools, we can't build versions for these devices anymore.

You need at least an iPhone 3GS

The existing iPeng Party should still word, though.

thinker
2012-12-09, 11:12
First: you say "SqueezeCenter". Which version do you use? IPeng does NOT work with Slimserver 6.x... "SqueezeCenter" should mean 7.x, though.

You can indeed configure your IP address manually in iPeng (not in iPeng Party) but you really shouldn't have to unless you've got an exotic network configuration that requires routing.
Could I ask for the IP address of your iPhone and SqueezeCenter? You can mail me under coolio att penguinlovesmusic dott com if you prefer that.

What do you see in iPeng Party if you tap the title bar (where it shows "no player found")?

When I tap the title bar, it says no players found. I'm running 7.x:

Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name Version Description
+++-===================-===================-================================================== ====
ii logitechmediaserver 7.7.2 Streaming Audio Server

My server is 172.30.30.1 and my iPhone is 172.30.30.142.

thinker
2012-12-09, 11:13
Oh, that's true. iPhone 3G indeed is no longer supported. I'm sorry, not really our choice, Apple has removed all support for 1st and 2nd generation devices from their developer tools, we can't build versions for these devices anymore.

You need at least an iPhone 3GS

The existing iPeng Party should still word, though.

Oh. Hm. I installed whatever the Appstore gave me. Is that wrong?

pippin
2012-12-09, 11:16
Could it be that 172.30.30.1 is also the address of your router?

pippin
2012-12-09, 11:19
Oh. Hm. I installed whatever the Appstore gave me. Is that wrong?

No, that's OK. Just iPeng Party is an old build, it doesn't support iPhone 5, yet.
I'm going to change that, soon, and then iPeng Party should no longer be available for old devices, either (so make a backup copy in case you still want to use it once we get it to run).
The App Store should not offer the regular iPeng (on your device) unless you are on iOS 5, which is not available on iPhone 3G

thinker
2012-12-09, 11:25
Could it be that 172.30.30.1 is also the address of your router?

My router is a Linux box, which is also my Squeezeserver.

thinker
2012-12-09, 11:25
No, that's OK. Just iPeng Party is an old build, it doesn't support iPhone 5, yet.
I'm going to change that, soon, and then iPeng Party should no longer be available for old devices, either (so make a backup copy in case you still want to use it once we get it to run).
The App Store should not offer the regular iPeng (on your device) unless you are on iOS 5, which is not available on iPhone 3G

Er, is backup an option in the app? I'm an Android user and acquired this iPhone specifically for iPeng, so I'm not completely sure how all of this works.

bhaagensen
2012-12-09, 11:53
Pippin - on my 3GS the albumcovers (in the new view- mode) appears quite pixelated, especially when zoomed into. are you aware of this?

pippin
2012-12-09, 14:46
Pippin - on my 3GS the albumcovers (in the new view- mode) appears quite pixelated, especially when zoomed into. are you aware of this?

Ah. Actually no... Well, say I forgot about non-retina devices, sorry, will fix that in the next update.
I originally developed this for iPeng UE and forgot to also flag the sizing change in iPeng for Phone (iPeng UE, technically, really is an iPeng for iPad running on an iPhone whereas iPeng for iPhone still uses somewhat different code). Most of the testing was on UE and I just enabled it in iPeng for iPhone, too, when it was ready.

Sizing in this case is a bit complicated :)

The view is ported from iPeng for iPad where I simply use covers in twice the size than on iPhone. That would be 150x150 on non-retina displays and 300x300 on retina displays.
The tiles in iPeng for iPhone are smaller, though (I'm talking of the default size here, of course you can scale them as you please), only 120x120. Now my choices would have been to use either _that_ (and they would scale badly for the smaller, 75x75 list-view images), make the list-view images smaller (would spoil the 3-line layout and also be a step backwards if that's what you use) or always use the larger images (would mean I load 300x300's on iPhone 4, 4S and 5).
What I decided was an intermediate step: always use 150x150 on iPhone. That means they would scale down fine for the lists and somewhat acceptable for both the 120x120 and the 240x240 tiles. It would not be perfect but going straight to 300x300 on an iPhone would really consume a _lot_ of memory.

I also want to stick with my "150x150" and "300x300" steps for performance reasons. All artwork gets cached not only by iPeng but also by the server and MySqueezebox.com, so using few, common form factors will help performance if you've got more than one device (or always, in the case of MySB).

pippin
2012-12-09, 14:51
My router is a Linux box, which is also my Squeezeserver.

Hm, I wonder whether this has an effect.
Did server-autodiscovery work for your Squeezeboxes or did you have to configure them manually?

Er, is backup an option in the app? I'm an Android user and acquired this iPhone specifically for iPeng, so I'm not completely sure how all of this works.

Oh, in the App there is none. But when you sync the iPhone with iTunes, it's shown under "My Apps" in iTunes and you can just copy it from there with drag&drop. It's just a single file.
But if this is really an iPhone 3G, I'm sorry, iPeng (the full version) is not going to run on it (if it's a 3GS, it would be fine; the 3GS looks the same and has also the same name but the internal changes from 3G to 3GS are bigger than the ones from the original iPhone to the 3G, it uses a different processor generation).

thinker
2012-12-10, 17:24
Okay, iPhone 4 acquired; I'll give this another try tonight. Thanks for the tip about the 3G's pending doom.

thinker
2012-12-10, 22:33
Update: I'm using a wiped-clean iPhone 4 and it also can't see my server, even though my Squeezeboxes can. It's on the same Wi-Fi network. Can I somehow specify the IP or hostname in iPeng Party?

pippin
2012-12-10, 22:44
No, not in iPeng Party. Well, you can, but then you'd need the full iPeng to do so.

I am pretty sure it's not the iPhone but has something to do with your network. Either your server doesn't accept UDP broadcasts or doesn't reply to them properly. Something like that. My personal guess is that the reason is that your server's address is the same as your gateway address. You are not useing a VPN or something, right?

No idea as to why the Squeezeboxes get it right, though, they should do the same thing. Maybe they just don't know what a Router is and get it right for that reason, I find it a strange configuration to use your gateway address as an endpoint, too. can't you use virtual IP addresses on the linux box?

If you can open the server's web site in Safari, you should be fine in iPeng with the manual configuration, too.

You said you get an empty dropdown box when you tap the "no player found" message in iPeng Party? Not even "Music Sources" in there?

thinker
2012-12-10, 22:46
No, not in iPeng Party. Well, you can, but then you'd need the full iPeng to do so.

I am pretty sure it's not the iPhone but has something to do with your network. Either your server doesn't accept UDP broadcasts or doesn't reply to them properly. Something like that. My personal guess is that the reason is that your server's address is the same as your gateway address. You are not useing a VPN or something, right?

No idea as to why the Squeezeboxes get it right, though, they should do the same thing.

If you can open the server's web site in Safari, you should be fine in iPeng with the manual configuration, too.

You said you get an empty dropdown box when you tap the "no player found" message in iPeng Party? Not even "Music Sources" in there?

I setup the network -- there's no NAT or anything on the inside. The gateway is the same as my Linux box because they're the same physical machine.

I can touch "Your player was not found," which opens a box that says "No Server Found" and a drop down for "Music Source" which does nothing.

pippin
2012-12-10, 23:00
I setup the network -- there's no NAT or anything on the inside. The gateway is the same as my Linux box because they're the same physical machine.

Yes. But if the gateway is the same as the server then for a client sending a UDP broadcast, the return answer looks like it's coming from the router and will also not really be distinguishable from the broadcast itself so I'm not sure that this will not confuse the discovery.

I don't know what the reason is. Usually the server discovery is pretty much rock solid as long as UDP broadcast works and the broadcast can reach the server.

thinker
2012-12-10, 23:02
Yes. But if the gateway is the same as the server then for a client sending a UDP broadcast, the return answer looks like it's coming from the router and will also not really be distinguishable from the broadcast itself so I'm not sure that this will not confuse the discovery.

It shouldn't. All of my devices seem to be able to discover the server fine (SB3 and Boom) and there are no routers between my Wi-Fi access point and the Squeezebox server.

pippin
2012-12-10, 23:06
Then why doesn't it work? You said you can open the server's web interface in Safari on port 9000 on the iPhone?
I have no idea why server discovery would not work if that is the case and if the gateway address is not the problem.

thinker
2012-12-10, 23:07
Then why doesn't it work? You said you can open the server's web interface in Safari on port 9000 on the iPhone?
I have no idea why server discovery would not work if that is the case and if the gateway address is not the problem.

No idea why it's not working. It'd be nice if I could at least specify an IP or hostname to see how all of this works.

bluegaspode
2012-12-10, 23:25
Why don't you just buy?
When it doesn't work, use the 'report a problem' button in the order confirmation or in the iTunes purchase history and typically Apple refunds within days.

thinker
2012-12-10, 23:26
Why don't you just buy?
When it doesn't work, use the 'report a problem' button in the order confirmation or in the iTunes purchase history and typically Apple refunds within days.

I've never bought anything from the Appstore before and everything on there says that there are no refunds. How does that work?

pippin
2012-12-10, 23:30
I've never bought anything from the Appstore before and everything on there says that there are no refunds. How does that work?

Well, they say that, but then they are not allowed to do it that way. So they hide it a bit.
It works as bluegaspode writes: there's a "report a problem" link for that in the confirmation mail you'll get.

If it doesn't work with the manual configuration either, mail me. There's a link for that under "Help" in the App.
Also contains some diagnostics to help me see what's going on.

thinker
2012-12-11, 02:02
Ok, I bought iPeng. It didn't detect the server; I had to add it as a remote library for it to work. Once I did that, it worked perfectly. This is way better than the Squeezebox Controller, which I just received in the mail today. I guess I'm putting it and the Receiver back onto eBay. Sigh.

Thanks for the support and the great app!

thinker
2012-12-11, 12:58
Any chance you can auto-dim the screen after X minutes? I have sleep disabled, but I'd like it to auto dim after a few minutes so it's not as intrusive as a full-time remote. It'd also be great if the app could go "full screen" so as to disable the notification pull-down. I often end up pulling down the notifications when I really want to pull down the players window.

pippin
2012-12-11, 13:10
Any chance you can auto-dim the screen after X minutes? I have sleep disabled, but I'd like it to auto dim after a few minutes so it's not as intrusive as a full-time remote.

Apps can't influence that, but I believe there's a setting somewhere in the iPhone settings (don't ask me, where, probably under "Screen" or so).

It'd also be great if the app could go "full screen" so as to disable the notification pull-down.

Oh. Would that disable it? I don't think so, just tried a few full-screen Apps and they have it, too.
Happens to me, too, unfortunately I can't bring it up from the bottom in iPeng (that's what my next App is going to do).
It helps to get used to just tapping that tab at the top, not dragging it. Or, alternatively, to drag it slowly.

thinker
2012-12-11, 13:18
Apps can't influence that, but I believe there's a setting somewhere in the iPhone settings (don't ask me, where, probably under "Screen" or so).

I could only find a "screen off after X time" setting, no "dim after X, screen off after X". I'll keep looking. I'll chalk this up to my iPhone inexperience.

Oh. Would that disable it? I don't think so, just tried a few full-screen Apps and they have it, too.
Happens to me, too, unfortunately I can't bring it up from the bottom in iPeng (that's what my next App is going to do).
It helps to get used to just tapping that tab at the top, not dragging it. Or, alternatively, to drag it slowly.

For example, the camera app requires two swipes from the top in order to bring down the notification menu. Could you do something like that?

pippin
2012-12-11, 13:23
That's interesting and good to know. Actually if that's true I'd have to make iPeng a full screen App that removes the status bar.
The downside is that I'd still like to show the status bar (there's quite a bit if info up there I can't replicate, like the WiFi status) but if it helps with this.... I'll give it some thought and play around with the options a bit.
I simply didn't know that hiding the status bar helps with the notification center.

thinker
2012-12-11, 13:29
That's interesting and good to know. Actually if that's true I'd have to make iPeng a full screen App that removes the status bar.
The downside is that I'd still like to show the status bar (there's quite a bit if info up there I can't replicate, like the WiFi status) but if it helps with this.... I'll give it some thought and play around with the options a bit.
I simply didn't know that hiding the status bar helps with the notification center.

Cool, thanks!

Another setting that would be neat is "Preserve connection when powered". That is, when on battery, do not preserve connection. When it's plugged in, preserve connection.

pippin
2012-12-11, 14:07
Yea, I've thought about that, too, but then found it too complicated, iPeng does already have too many options.

Actually, the existing "preserve connection" feature does already take the power state into account. It works like this (when enabled):

As long as the device is on external power, it will always keep the connection, as long as the currently selected player is "on".
If the currently selected player is "off", it will go to sleep after 10 minutes.
If the device is on internal power (battery) it will stay on as long as the charge is > 50%, as soon as it's below 50%, it will shut down after 10 minutes
If you also enable support for iPeng Party, it will stay on until the charge reaches 30% (because iPeng Party users might depend on it for initial configuration)
If you are playing music in iPeng (Playback), iPeng will keep running until the bitter end, no matter if you turn the "keep connection" setting on or not.

CharlieG
2012-12-17, 19:02

Oh wow, you are right. Looks like I forgot to enable it for lower level views. Sorry for that, will get fixed in the next update.
Stupid little error, wonder why nobody noticed it in the beta test.

But to be honest, most of the testing was on the UE branch of iPeng and there it's always been enabled so I probably mixed this up.

Hey you fixed it! Thanks:)

mordac
2012-12-18, 02:17
Hi everyone. I don't know if the issue has been reported or not, but I have had a strange problems for a few days. My iPad runs on iOS 6 and my iPhone on iOS 5. Both connect to my home wifi without a problem. However, ipeng detects my squeezeserver on the iPhone but not on the iPad. I have a squeeze controller that also works fine. As an indication the Logitech squeezebox app behaves the same way (works on iPhone, not on iPad). iPad 2 and iPhone 4

pippin
2012-12-18, 02:24
Are you absolutely sure the iPad is connected to the same network? Does your WiFi maybe have a guest mode network that only let's you access the Internet and not the local network?

Could you send me diagnostics mails from both devices (using the mail link under "Help")?

danc27
2012-12-19, 10:15
2.0.7 on my iPhone 5 is showing up as an app that isn't made for the 5 now. I saw in the changes it is supposed to fix the problem that was introduced? Just wanted to let you know it is still happening. I tried to delete app completely and reinstall from the app store as well.

pippin
2012-12-19, 10:26
Yep. :(
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?51929-iPeng-support-thread&p=729765&viewfull=1#post729765

danc27
2012-12-19, 10:45
Yep. :(
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?51929-iPeng-support-thread&p=729765&viewfull=1#post729765

Whoops! Sorry I should have looked in that thread.

pippin
2013-01-11, 11:15
OK, I still owe an announcement of the latest updates...

A late “Happy New Year” to all of you!

And to start the new year, iPeng for iPhone, iPad and iPeng UE got some polish through a minor update.

Here’s what’s changed:

Probably the first thing you’ll notice is that the bobble-hat icon is gone again.
The iPhone Apps now hide the status bar by default. This gives a little more space you can especially use well on the smaller 3,5″ screens but more importantly, it prevents the notification center from accidentally coming up (or down) when you try to drag down the MultiPlayer control. If you still prefer to see the status bar you can re-enable it in the settings.
In all Apps you can now chose to always use English as the user interface language, independent of the one selected on your device. While this is a bit against Apple’s UI guidelines a lot of users requested it to be able to match an English language setting on the server side since iPeng doesn’t support all languages and also since a lot of plugins are only available in English.
The URL calling scheme to open iPeng from other Apps has been updated to allow the selection of a certain player when opening iPeng. You can find the details here: https://trac.penguinlovesmusic.de/trac/ipengnat/wiki/URLScheme

Have fun!

gorman
2013-01-14, 11:23
In all Apps you can now chose to always use English as the user interface language, independent of the one selected on your device. While this is a bit against Apple’s UI guidelines a lot of users requested it to be able to match an English language setting on the server side since iPeng doesn’t support all languages and also since a lot of plugins are only available in English.thanks so much for this!

nonnoroger
2013-01-14, 15:20
Sorry if I am missing the obvious, but ...

Does iPeng (for iPad) support sorting by Artist in the Album view?

If it does, how do I enable it?

If it does not, then why not?

I miss this compared to my Touches and Radio which have sort order options in the Advanced menus.

pippin
2013-01-14, 16:15
It does not because you can get that same view (also fully cached) under Artists->All Albums so there are always both alternatives

nonnoroger
2013-01-15, 10:10
It does not because you can get that same view (also fully cached) under Artists->All Albums so there are always both alternatives

Thanks Pippin. Yes, but for me, at least, that makes browsing through albums by artist quite tedious - having to go back to the artist menu again and again. My preference is very much for the sort order options supported by the other players.

pippin
2013-01-15, 10:48
Why do you have to go back to the artist menu again and again? Other than the Squeezebox, iPeng keeps your menu level, you just have to go back.

nonnoroger
2013-01-15, 10:59
Why do you have to go back to the artist menu again and again? Other than the Squeezebox, iPeng keeps your menu level, you just have to go back.

Go back to the list of artists which is what I meant by the artist menu.

pippin
2013-01-15, 11:05
Go back to the list of artists which is what I meant by the artist menu.

Yes, but why do you have to do that? If you select "Artists->All Albums" once, then that's what's on that tab, so you can have both. It's still fewer steps than on the SB where you have to go through "My Music" first.

CharlieG
2013-01-15, 11:07
Sorry if I am missing the obvious, but ...

Does iPeng (for iPad) support sorting by Artist in the Album view?

If it does, how do I enable it?

If it does not, then why not?

I miss this compared to my Touches and Radio which have sort order options in the Advanced menus.

When you tap Artists in iPeng you should end up with a list of all artists. At the top of this list you should see All Albums. If you tap All Albums I think this will give you what you want.

nonnoroger
2013-01-15, 11:08
Yes, but why do you have to do that? If you select "Artists->All Albums" once, then that's what's on that tab, so you can have both. It's still fewer steps than on the SB where you have to go through "My Music" first.

Aaaah! Brilliant. Very sorry to have missed that. I guess a had a functional fixity based on experience with other players.

nonnoroger
2013-01-15, 11:12
When you tap Artists in iPeng you should end up with a list of all artists. At the top of this list you should see All Albums. If you tap All Albums I think this will give you what you want.

Yes it certainly does. I did say I may be missing something and I was. Many thanks for pointing this out.