PDA

View Full Version : will I lose Internet radio..?

vicvondoom
2012-10-01, 15:36
hi guys,
long time lurker but new to posting..

following the uncertain demise of the squeezebox, am I likely to losethe Internet radio?
I have a vortexbox with 3x instances of squeezeslave/vortexboxplayer/something that give me the 3 zones of audio in the house. I think I've read somewhere that my local saved flacs will probably still work but what about the tinterweb radio?

I'm not sure of the nuts and bolts of this. does it use mysb.com or is it direct to the web??

cheers for any advice, jim.

castalla
2012-10-01, 15:40
hi guys,
long time lurker but new to posting..

following the uncertain demise of the squeezebox, am I likely to losethe Internet radio?
I have a vortexbox with 3x instances of squeezeslave/vortexboxplayer/something that give me the 3 zones of audio in the house. I think I've read somewhere that my local saved flacs will probably still work but what about the tinterweb radio?

I'm not sure of the nuts and bolts of this. does it use mysb.com or is it direct to the web??

cheers for any advice, jim.

Briefly, it depends. If you access BBC via the iPlayer plugin, then this will still work. The bog standard Internet Radio won't, nor will Tunein which still depends on mysb.com, although it could probably be cut free as an independent plugin.

No doubt, others will explain more!

vicvondoom
2012-10-01, 15:49
Briefly, it depends. If you access BBC via the iPlayer plugin, then this will still work. The bog standard Internet Radio won't, nor will Tunein which still depends on mysb.com, although it could probably be cut free as an independent plugin.

No doubt, others will explain more!

thanks for the reply, the one I mainly use is the one that follows this....(ipeng)
more > radios > local > london > "your choice of station"...

please tell that'll stay..?!

castalla
2012-10-01, 16:09
thanks for the reply, the one I mainly use is the one that follows this....(ipeng)

No idea what that's about! Assume it's the bog standard Internet Radio selection ... if so, it'd disappear.

Any individual stations saved as favourites on your LMS server would work (until the station changes its stream address).

bomboloni
2012-10-07, 06:24

Yes Jim, that is exactly the functionality that MySB provides and that functionality you will lose. Logitech has stated that MySB is not going away anytime soon, but they have not provided timeframes on when/if they will pull the plug.

As a practice you should choose "add to favorites" on all of the stations that you use. If MySB is down you can go to "Favorites" and all of your stations will be there. The only caveat is that if the station changes the address to access the station, then you are out of luck. Unless someone know of a method to add an address without the aid of MySB.com.

Ben

Nick_G
2012-10-07, 07:49
Well I assume the new Logitech UE range will have an equivalent to mysb.com to store favourites. Why wouldn't the Squeezebox hardware not be able to access this? Maybe a stupid question but it can't be that difficult can it?

Nick_G
2012-10-08, 22:42
Well I assume the new Logitech UE range will have an equivalent to mysb.com to store favourites. Why wouldn't the Squeezebox hardware not be able to access this? Maybe a stupid question but it can't be that difficult can it?

Does anyone know whether my assumption is correct? Or will Squeezebox products be 'locked out' of the new server?

Mnyb
2012-10-08, 23:03
Does anyone know whether my assumption is correct? Or will Squeezebox products be 'locked out' of the new server?

Exactly , the UESR.com service is only for UE players , rigth now only the UE radio .

But that's a given otherwise it the UE radio would also be proper squeezebox and we have no problems :)
Seen another way if Logitech want to cut out the squeezebox line up and and it's associated maintainence , making uesr.com to also work with squeezeboxes would be just as much extra works as keeping the mysqueezebox.com running in parallel .

They choose to go with running mysqueezebox.com for an unknown time "foreseeable future " and let the old stuff be as it is in it's own ecosystem .
But that was said by a manager type of person " foreseeable future " mean one thing to me and another to this kind of person that worries about quarterly results and are unable to think in long perspectives :)

It would be possible to offer " upgrade " ( lobotomy ) for SqueezePlay devices like Touch and Maybe Controller and with that duet.

The older architecture boom, sb3 ,classic etc seems to have no support in uesr.com if I got it rigth.