PDA

View Full Version : Possible to maintain internet radio list without Mysqueezebox.com?

sbp
2012-09-28, 05:47
Hi I was wondering if it would be possible for us to copy/maintain the list of streaming internet radio stations currently available through mysqueezebox.com?

Somehow it should be possible, as we can add URLs of radio stations we wan't to listen to. Also LMS has the opportunity to use OPML lists, so what are keeping us from building a OPML list with the same or similar content?
See here: http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/OPML_support

Offcourse I know that collecting and maintaining such a list would a huge task, but maybe we could have a centralized place for these URLs where members could add new stations and correct errors?
I don't know excactly where the current list of radiostations are keept, it probably is somewher in the database. So would it be possible to retreive this lilst as a place to start?

I think there could be two good reasons for this effort:
1. When/if Mysqueezebox.com closes we would already be prepared
2. By using this list we could be independent of Mysqueezebox com, and vereything could be run from your locally installed LMS (yes I know that the paid music streaming services still would need mysqueezebox.com), but it would be a start.

garym
2012-09-28, 05:59
Hi I was wondering if it would be possible for us to copy/maintain the list of streaming internet radio stations currently available through mysqueezebox.com?

Somehow it should be possible, as we can add URLs of radio stations we wan't to listen to. Also LMS has the opportunity to use OPML lists, so what are keeping us from building a OPML list with the same or similar content?
See here: http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/OPML_support

Offcourse I know that collecting and maintaining such a list would a huge task, but maybe we could have a centralized place for these URLs where members could add new stations and correct errors?
I don't know excactly where the current list of radiostations are keept, it probably is somewher in the database. So would it be possible to retreive this lilst as a place to start?

I think there could be two good reasons for this effort:
1. When/if Mysqueezebox.com closes we would already be prepared
2. By using this list we could be independent of Mysqueezebox com, and vereything could be run from your locally installed LMS (yes I know that the paid music streaming services still would need mysqueezebox.com), but it would be a start.

Already done in many free places on web (e.g., tunein.com). Personally, I never have any issues simply searching for the radio station of interest, then adding the URL to my own FAVORITES for future use. No mysb.com needed to play such favorites. I've always done this (because I need the URLs because I also use them in Foobar2000 (player on my computer).

edit: and note that creating our own OPML file would be a file that contains hundreds of thousands of station URLs.

sbp
2012-09-28, 06:13
Already done in many free places on web (e.g., tunein.com).
edit: and note that creating our own OPML file would be a file that contains hundreds of thousands of station URLs.

I know that there are places with thousands of URL's like tunein.com, but can you use this service from within LMS or a player without a "mysqueezebox" connection?

I think thought that Mysqueezebox.com was needed because it connects to tunein.com and selects a subset of the stations and present it to LMS (maybe as a OPML or play list). So my thinking was maintain a similar list without the need for mysqueezebox.com.

Please correct me if I have misunderstood how these things are connected.

garym
2012-09-28, 06:18
I know that there are places with thousands of URL's like tunein.com, but can you use this service from within LMS or a player without a "mysqueezebox" connection?

I think that is what Mysqueezebox.com do, it connects to tunein.com and selects a subset of the stations and present it to LMS (maybe as a OPML or play list). So my thinking was maintain a similar list without the need for mysqueezebox.com.

Please correct me if I have misunderstood how these things are connected.

yes, just find the station you are interested in on tunein.com (or a web search in general). Locate the URL for the stream, then add to your own LMS favorites. You can play and no mysb.com is needed.

and if mysb.com went away, someone like erland or triode or ? might be able to write a 3rd party plugin for Tunein that would work automatically with LMS.

in my opinion, listening to internet radio streams is the least of our problems if mysb.com goes away. This is already easily doable. It is the *services* (sirius, mog, pandora, etc.) that will be more of a challenge.

garym
2012-09-28, 06:21
also see this related thread.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?96597-SB-Touch-Listening-to-radio-without-mysqueezebox-com&p=719088#post719088

bpa
2012-09-28, 06:51
In fact saving an opml station list on the net was discussed in jan 2011 see this thread http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?84798-Is-there-a-limit-to-the-number-of-favourites-you-can-have/page3 where alternative places to save the opml station list are suggested.