PDA

View Full Version : LMS on Synology NAS

pettei
2012-09-28, 01:15
My old NAS broke som months ago and I replaced it with a Synology NAS (212j) after carefully checked that I could run LMS/Squeezebox on it. However it turns out that the LMS version for NAS does not play WMA lossless files. (I used to run LMS on a PC before).

Now half of my audio library is useless :(

I have a solution to go back to the old PC but I would prefer to solve it with the NAS.

Could this be solved in a simple way where I dont have to go back to the pc?

toby10
2012-09-28, 03:48
The problem is the NAS not LMS. A NAS cannot play WMA files natively and always requires a specific codec package to do so. Which one applies to your NAS and how to install/configure it I don't know. Might try the Synology forums and/or the Third Party Hardware forums in here if you don't get a speedy answer in this thread.

Mnyb
2012-09-28, 12:13
My old NAS broke som months ago and I replaced it with a Synology NAS (212j) after carefully checked that I could run LMS/Squeezebox on it. However it turns out that the LMS version for NAS does not play WMA lossless files. (I used to run LMS on a PC before).

Now half of my audio library is useless :(

I have a solution to go back to the old PC but I would prefer to solve it with the NAS.

Could this be solved in a simple way where I dont have to go back to the pc?

Wma lossles ,the just convert them to flac lossles ! Try some apps like foobar or dBpoweramp those would keep tags intact but check on a small batch first and of course backup the old files .

Mnyb
2012-09-28, 12:15
And lossles is lossles so you can always transcode between any lossles format without any quality problems at all 1 or 100000 times it won't make any difference .

pettei
2012-10-01, 04:53
Thanks for your answers. I've put a question on Synology forum as well. But as I search that forum I see little hopes for a simple answer to my request.

/P

bpa
2012-10-01, 06:40
I think WMA Lossless can only be played natively on Touch and Radio. For other players it needs to be transcoded by LMS into a playable format typically Flac.

The WMA Lossless decoder is only available on Windows as MS provides the library. So if you have non Windows server such as Linux or OSX based servers then you will have the same problems with standard LMS. For x86 based Linux system it is possible to copy the MS library over and use mplayer to decode WMA lossess but this is breaks MS WIndows usage terms for the library.

So for an LMS running on an ARM based NAS to play WMA lossless on a player which does not support WMA lossess you need a WMA lossless decoder built for your NAS and a good network as the NAS will not have enough CPU to receoincode the stream into Flac.