PDA

View Full Version : UEML full version

agillis
2012-09-26, 18:24
There has been a lot of discussion on the replacement of Logitech Media players with the UE product line. Logitech has released a program called UE Music Library that is used for serving local music to the UE product line. UE Music Library seems to be a VERY stripped down version of LMS.

I have been looking through the Logitech GIT repo and there is also a full version of UE Music Library. This has not been released by Logitech yet but it seems to be more like LMS. And it looks like it's designed to support both kinds of players. UE players and the old Touch, Squeezebox line!

I think one of the Logitech devs talked about this a bit in another post.

Since this the full version is not in the nightly builds I built an RPM version for VortexBox. Anybody using VortexBox or Fedora can test out the FULL version of UEML if they want.

http://vortexbox.org/threads/4316-UEML-beta?p=27535

erland
2012-09-26, 22:05
I have been looking through the Logitech GIT repo and there is also a full version of UE Music Library. This has not been released by Logitech yet but it seems to be more like LMS. And it looks like it's designed to support both kinds of players. UE players and the old Touch, Squeezebox line!

From what I've seen and heard about the 10.0 branch (which I guess you are talking about):
- If started with slimserver.pl it can support both Squeezebox and UE Smart Radio but as two completely separate systems, you can only remote control the Squeezeboxes with a Squeezebox remote app and only control the UE Smart Radio with a UE Smart Radio remote app.
- Playback control via web interface is only available to Squeezebox devices, not for UE Smart Radio devices.
- Squeezeboxes can be synchronized with each other and UE Smart Radio devices can be synchronized with each other but Squeezeboxes can't be synchronized with UE Smart Radio.
- I think someone with insight mentioned that it didn't seem to be properly tested with old Squeezeboxes yet so there were some bugs/limitations compared to 7.8 version.

As far as I know there haven't been any official or unofficial indications if Logitech plans to release a 10.0 version of LMS or if they have just kept the compatibility with Squeezeboxes in it to make it easier to backport bug corrections to the 7.8 version. The fact that they jumped from 7.x to 10.x is probably an indication that they aren't sure about it yet themselves.

The 10.0 version comes with two start scripts:
- ueml.pl : Starts it in UE Music Library mode with a lot of functionality disabled an only support for UE Smart Radio devices enabled
- slimserver.pl : Starts it in backward compatibility mode with support for both Squeezebox and UE Music Library devices.

If started in slimserver.pl mode, you still can't use the full functionality from a UE Smart Radio device, the full functionality is only available to Squeezebox devices in this mode, the UE Smart Radio devices are still limited to what's available in the ueml.pl mode as far as I've seen.

Since this the full version is not in the nightly builds I built an RPM version for VortexBox. Anybody using VortexBox or Fedora can test out the FULL version of UEML if they want.

http://vortexbox.org/threads/4316-UEML-beta?p=27535

Thanks, I'm sure the Logitech developers would appreciate if people try it with Squeezeboxes and report compatibility issues in the "Beta" section of this forum or at http://bugs.slimdevices.com. We should probably not expect a lot of feedback from Logitech employees on it but I still think they are thankful for any bugs reported on it because I don't think they have much own test resources focusing on testing it towards old Squeezeboxes, they probably focus most of their internal 10.0 testing towards UE Smart Radio devices at the moment.

I suspect the nightly builds for the 10.0 version starts in ueml.pl mode but I haven't tried it myself, the nightly builds can as usual be found at:
http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly