PDA

View Full Version : John Darko: " I知 moving to an iTunes-fronted playback system. Bye-bye Squeezeboxen."

michael123
2012-09-20, 04:57
http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2012/09/m2tech-hiface-two-logitech-squeezebox-touch/

DubMarc
2012-09-20, 09:56
http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2012/09/m2tech-hiface-two-logitech-squeezebox-touch/

"As I type this, XLD is slowly munching its way through thousands of FLACs, digesting them and shitting out thousands of fresh ALAC turds."

Insightful article. Encapsulates pretty well the current situation, too.

castalla
2012-09-20, 10:45
"As I type this, XLD is slowly munching its way through thousands of FLACs, digesting them and shitting out thousands of fresh ALAC turds."

Insightful article. Encapsulates pretty well the current situation, too.

Over a 1000 words to say he's changing systems is hardly encapsulation!

michael123
2012-09-20, 12:06

I will not ever move to iTunes, I hate this application and its philosophy.
Yet, I understand John's frustration...

SBGK
2012-09-20, 12:27
no one wants to back a dead horse and he ain't going to be getting any logitech advertising soon, so understand the switch.

bwaldron
2012-09-20, 13:35
I will not ever move to iTunes, I hate this application and its philosophy.
Yet, I understand John's frustration...

Absolutely agree on both points. I'm frustrated, too...but I'd go back to individual CDs before I'd ever let iTunes back onto one of my systems.

banned for life
2012-09-20, 16:05

Soon you will be able to pick the next song to play without making a playlist.

A gracious good bye

bfl

bobm
2012-09-20, 17:37
I understand John's frustration...

I wonder if his frustration is a bit premature? I would think the current SB situation is probably good for at least another two years. I don稚 go buy a new truck just because Ford stopped producing the Ranger.

Of course this guy is a reviewer so he needs the latest equipment; my comment above is more for the rest of us. You know, sometimes a good portion of the fun is searching for your next purchase. Maybe Logitech did him a favor. :)

johnnydarko
2012-09-20, 19:10
I wonder if his frustration is a bit premature? I would think the current SB situation is probably good for at least another two years. I don稚 go buy a new truck just because Ford stopped producing the Ranger.

Of course this guy is a reviewer so he needs the latest equipment; my comment above is more for the rest of us. You know, sometimes a good portion of the fun is searching for your next purchase. Maybe Logitech did him a favor. :)

The article was as much about M2Tech's Hiface Two but I guess the few comments I threw in about its sound were drowned out by the broader message of my ditching the SBT as my main digital transport.

As you've stated, I'm benching the SBT because it will stand still whilst everything else (particularly on desktop PC/Mac) will move forward. I also think Audirvana sounds ever-so-slightly better than the SBT.

johnnydarko
2012-09-20, 19:11
.....but iTunes forcing my hand with Apple Lossless. What a b*tch.

dsdreamer
2012-09-20, 20:35
Audirvana allows iTunes to catalog FLAC files and cause them to be played back by Audiovana's backend via creation of proxy files. All it takes is to drag a group of FLAC files into the Add Files to iTunes drop-zone, with the quality setting at the default of "Proxies only, no sound." This is much quicker than actual file re-encoding, and stands as my last vestige of protest, now that we can no longer truly "Free (y)our Music."

the nightfly
2012-09-20, 23:10
If my Touch stopped working, I'd keep using my perfectly-workable SB Server installation on my NAS, and use iPeng on an iPod Touch with a suitable dock rather than ever use iTunes and its crippled, brain-dead way of classifying metadata (only one artist and genre per track, for example) or transcode 30,000+ files to ALAC, no matter how "bean-keen" the Apple world may seem compared to us and our "Squeezeboxen" (rolls eyes).

SBGK
2012-09-20, 23:30
If my Touch stopped working, I'd keep using my perfectly-workable SB Server installation on my NAS, and use iPeng on an iPod Touch with a suitable dock rather than ever use iTunes and its crippled, brain-dead way of classifying metadata (only one artist and genre per track, for example) or transcode 30,000+ files to ALAC, no matter how "bean-keen" the Apple world may seem compared to us and our "Squeezeboxen" (rolls eyes).

that's because you enjoy the connectivity and functionality of squeezeboxen, but if you want better SQ you need to go elsewhere - the Touch is limited in this aspect, even with edo and supposedly being bit perfecten.

the nightfly
2012-09-21, 01:06
What is all this (affected, IMHO) crap about "Squeezeboxen" and "bit perfecten"...? Some special way for Mac devotees to put down those of us who haven't "moved on" (sic) to bow in adoration at The Church of Jobs?

As far as I can tell, playing hires files through my Touch's coax digital out to the AVR3806's 24/96 DACs produces better sound than I've ever heard in my home, even with years of testing transports and external DACs. So it's not, as you would claim, merely a matter of "convenience" (an old audiophile gambit for writing off anyone whose opinion differs from one's own, BTW, which I've found weary some from the time it was first used by vinyl-lovers to discount anyone who might actually think digital sound -- even of the hires variety -- was its equal). Although, if you see no reason why it should be better to able to tag, say, a recording of Beethoven's Triple Concerto under the genres "classical, concerto, violin, cello, piano," and be able to search under any one of those terms, rather to just have it one of 1,900-odd albums simply tagged as "classical," then you're welcome to the lowest-common-denominator iTunes and all that follows from it.

toby10
2012-09-21, 01:34
Another potential future non-Apple alternative to keep in mind........ years from now........ when my SBT is no longer functioning.

DubMarc
2012-09-21, 16:42

He spent the bulk of those words on other stuff, though. I was just referring to the SBT/Logitech-oriented stuff.

dsdreamer
2012-09-21, 19:20
What is all this (affected, IMHO) crap about "Squeezeboxen" and "bit perfecten"...? Some special way for Mac devotees to put down those of us who haven't "moved on" (sic) to bow in adoration at The Church of Jobs?

http://www.catb.org/jargon/oldversions/jarg211.txt

boxen /bok'sn/ pl.n.

[very common; by analogy with
VAXen] Fanciful plural of box often encountered in the
phrase `Unix boxen', used to describe commodity Unix
hardware. The connotation is that any two Unix boxen are
interchangeable.

(But bit perfecten is bogus.)

aubuti
2012-09-22, 03:15
http://www.catb.org/jargon/oldversions/jarg211.txt

boxen /bok'sn/ pl.n.

[very common; by analogy with
VAXen] Fanciful plural of box
German = Fanciful ?
Who knew?

johnnydarko
2012-09-22, 15:03
Audirvana allows iTunes to catalog FLAC files and cause them to be played back by Audiovana's backend via creation of proxy files. All it takes is to drag a group of FLAC files into the Add Files to iTunes drop-zone, with the quality setting at the default of "Proxies only, no sound." This is much quicker than actual file re-encoding, and stands as my last vestige of protest, now that we can no longer truly "Free (y)our Music."

I started this way - with proxy files - but found it to be little buggy. Some files would just stop playing of their own accord. Going deep into ALAC territory opens the door to Amarra and PureMusic.