PDA

View Full Version : LMS Future! What's version 10 of UE Music Library

truehl
2012-09-13, 11:35
Hi,
can someone tell me please, what the LMS version 10.0 UE Music Library on the nightly download side means? May be I'm dump, but I can't imagine what's this version for? I thought LMS is dead and the new radio version is only made to play content from the Internet?

Please bring light to my life!

Thanks, greetings Thomas

truehl
2012-09-13, 11:42
Also I don't understand that Logitech says its only available for windows and Mac, there are versions for linux!!!

erland
2012-09-13, 12:03
The 10.0 version is UE Music Library, the server software which is used for UE Smart Radio devices.
It comes with two start scripts:
- ueml.pl (Which starts it in UE Music Library mode)
- slimserver.pl (Which starts it in LMS mode)

I'm not sure how tested the LMS mode is at the moment, it might work but it might also be a bit broken because Logitech haven't had time to test it properly yet.

The general difference between LMS and UE Music Library as I've understood it is:
- UE Music Library doesn't allow installation of third party plugins
- UE Music Library doesn't allow plugins which works on a specific player, for example Random Mix plugin and many other plugins doesn't work.
- UE Music Library only provides the music content, the current playlist and player status is managed by the central cloud server at uesmartradio.com, so a remote control that wants to control a player needs to do it through uesmartradio.com
- UE Music Library doesn't come with a web interface, as far as I've seen this means that you can only configure it through the configuration applets which are only available on Windows and OSX, while Linux users is referred to using a text editor and manually change the configuration files, for example to specify the music folder. Possibly it might be possible to configure it through the iPhone/Android apps also but to use them you need to have a UE Smart Radio and I haven't dared to upgrade one of my Radios yet.
- UE Music Library isn't compatible with the Squeezebox hardware (it only works with UE Smart Radio)
- UE Music Library only officially support OSX and Windows, you can use Linux if you like to but these are not supported and probably not tested much and you need to get them from http://downloads.slimdevices.com (http://downloads.slimdevices.com/UEMusicLibrary_v10.0.0/unsupported/) because they aren't available on http://uesmartradio.com.

mherger
2012-09-13, 12:09
> can someone tell me please, what the LMS version 10.0 UE Music Library
> on the nightly download side means? May be I'm dump, but I can't imagine
> what's this version for? I thought LMS is dead and the new radio version
> is only made to play content from the Internet?

No, the new UE Smart Radio can still play music from your computer. In
this case you'll have to install the UE Music Library.

> Also I don't understand that Logitech says its only available for
> windows and Mac, there are versions for linux!!!

That means that Linux is not supported. Use it at your own risk. (there's
little risk)

--

Michael

mherger
2012-09-13, 12:12
> The 10.0 version is UE Music Library, the server software which is used
> for UE Smart Radio devices.
> It comes with two start scripts:
> - ueml.pl (Which starts it in UE Music Library mode)
> - slimserver.pl (Which starts it in LMS mode)

Please note that the download packages referred to here are UEML only.
There's no slimserver.pl (or .exe) in there.

> - UE Music Library doesn't allow plugins which works on a specific
> player, for example Random Mix plugin and many other plugins doesn't
> work.

There might soon be a workaround for Random Mix in the nightlies. It's not
as smart as on LMS, but probably good enough for many uses (queue up a
list of 100 random tracks - no automated renewal)

> - UE Music Library doesn't come with a web interface, as far as I've
> seen this means that you can only configure it through the configuration
> applets which are only available on Windows and OSX, while Linux users
> is referred to using a text editor and manually change the configuration
> files, for example to specify the music folder.

A limited web UI is still there. It's reduced to the settings for the
tweakers. But it's using a different http port (3546).

--

Michael

truehl
2012-09-13, 13:01
O.k. It's really dead!!!

amey01
2012-09-13, 15:08
The 10.0 version is UE Music Library, the server software which is used for UE Smart Radio devices.
It comes with two start scripts:
- ueml.pl (Which starts it in UE Music Library mode)
- slimserver.pl (Which starts it in LMS mode)

I'm not sure how tested the LMS mode is at the moment, it might work but it might also be a bit broken because Logitech haven't had time to test it properly yet.

The general difference between LMS and UE Music Library as I've understood it is:
- UE Music Library doesn't allow installation of third party plugins
- UE Music Library doesn't allow plugins which works on a specific player, for example Random Mix plugin and many other plugins doesn't work.
- UE Music Library only provides the music content, the current playlist and player status is managed by the central cloud server at uesmartradio.com, so a remote control that wants to control a player needs to do it through uesmartradio.com
- UE Music Library doesn't come with a web interface, as far as I've seen this means that you can only configure it through the configuration applets which are only available on Windows and OSX, while Linux users is referred to using a text editor and manually change the configuration files, for example to specify the music folder. Possibly it might be possible to configure it through the iPhone/Android apps also but to use them you need to have a UE Smart Radio and I haven't dared to upgrade one of my Radios yet.
- UE Music Library isn't compatible with the Squeezebox hardware (it only works with UE Smart Radio)
- UE Music Library only officially support OSX and Windows, you can use Linux if you like to but these are not supported and probably not tested much and you need to get them from http://downloads.slimdevices.com (http://downloads.slimdevices.com/UEMusicLibrary_v10.0.0/unsupported/) because they aren't available on http://uesmartradio.com.

Wow - multiple startup scripts, text file configuration, no playlists, etc.

Sounds really simple and highly suited to the mass market! NOT.

Way to go Logitech.

erland
2012-09-13, 15:25
Wow - multiple startup scripts, text file configuration, no playlists, etc.

Sounds really simple and highly suited to the mass market! NOT.

Way to go Logitech.

There are playlists, it's just that the current playlist is handled by the cloud server instead of the local server, but from a user perspective I believe playlists will work more or less as before.
I was wrong about the text file configuration, there is a web interface for configuration, they had just changed port and I didn't know which one to use on Linux. On Windows or OSX this won't happen since the installation program will ensure that the user doesn't have to know the port number.

GeeJay
2012-09-13, 17:28
There might soon be a workaround for Random Mix in the nightlies. It's not
as smart as on LMS, but probably good enough for many uses (queue up a
list of 100 random tracks - no automated renewal)

This is progress! A few days ago there was no mention of Random Mix at all.

jimzak
2012-09-13, 18:35
This is progress! A few days ago there was no mention of Random Mix at all.

It's progress until you consider that you can only listen in mono on the new radio unless you get two of them and play one channel on each ;)

GeeJay
2012-09-13, 18:42
It's progress until you consider that you can only listen in mono on the new radio unless you get two of them and play one channel on each ;)

Don't get me wrong: I'm not saying "all is forgiven" yet. Logitech has a long way to go before they get back in my good graces. The fact that they are spending any time at all bringing back functionality relative to my local music library gives me just a little hope that they aren't completely forsaking loyal customers who still value that aspect of the SB experience.

toby10
2012-09-14, 01:45

Line Out to hifi/amp or powered speakers is stereo. It aint no Touch, but for the new market audience they are courting it's good enough. :)

kidstypike
2012-09-14, 01:52
I was wrong about the text file configuration, there is a web interface for configuration, they had just changed port and I didn't know which one to use on Linux. On Windows or OSX this won't happen since the installation program will ensure that the user doesn't have to know the port number.

On a windows install there does NOT appear to be any way of getting to the "Settings" web interface, unless you are savvy enough to know your server IP address, and that the port no is 3546.
There is no web control on the system tray right-click menu, only control panel.
Clicking the desktop icon for UE Music Library opens the control panel.

alfista
2012-09-14, 04:21
On a windows install there does NOT appear to be any way of getting to the "Settings" web interface, unless you are savvy enough to know your server IP address, and that the port no is 3546.
Then again, is there any tangible benefit in using the web interface for configuration on a Win/OSX install? It's all about making things manageable for the person more interested in just listening as opposed to tinkering. Even though I use the web interface occasionally, partly because I now run the server on Linux and partly since old habits die hard, but on my Windows install I found the control panel interface to work just as good if not better. It should be far easier for a complete newbie to come to terms with since the interface is essentially the same as for all other configuration tasks on your OS platform of choice.