PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox Hardware Support

bertdw
2012-09-09, 06:50
Now that the Squeezebox line is gone, and its "replacement" doesn't even have a digital output, I'm in semi-panic mode. What happens if my three year old Duet dies? Can it be repaired? By Logitech? If I buy a Touch as a backup, can that be repaired?

garym
2012-09-09, 07:17
Now that the Squeezebox line is gone, and its "replacement" doesn't even have a digital output, I'm in semi-panic mode. What happens if my three year old Duet dies? Can it be repaired? By Logitech? If I buy a Touch as a backup, can that be repaired?

Based on other posts on people trying to get out of warranty items repaired or replaced, I'd say No on the duet. For the touch, maybe. I suspect they don't "repair" anything. They can replace if they have a stock of replacement TOUCH units. Otherwise, I've seen examples of Logitech simply offering a coupon good for purchase of other logitech products. As with a lot of consumer electronics these days, the Squeezebox players (other than the Transporter) are relatively inexpensive units that are rarely worthy of "repair" by the company. Even the laptops my employer purchases are treated as almost "throwaway" items these days (not much different than purchasing pens and pencils and ink cartridges....just something that will be used up and replaced when needed).

For myself, I've simply stocked up on a few backup TOUCH and RADIO units to use should something go out in the next few years. And this is actually highly unlikely, as there is not much to go wrong with a TOUCH or RADIO, short of my house burning down, electrical storm, etc.

bertdw
2012-09-09, 07:35
Thanks for your quick reply. So you think the Touch is more reliable than the Duet? Mine has never given me any trouble. At first I thought at least I'd have a new warranty with a new Touch, but if they only gave me a coupon for something else, forget it!

garym
2012-09-09, 08:27
Thanks for your quick reply. So you think the Touch is more reliable than the Duet? Mine has never given me any trouble. At first I thought at least I'd have a new warranty with a new Touch, but if they only gave me a coupon for something else, forget it!

No, I think the duet is just as reliable at the TOUCH (maybe more so, as there is no screen to go out). My point was that the duet receiver has been discontinued for several years (so none would exist in inventory for replacement). The TOUCH is still being sold by Amazon, and until a couple of weeks ago by Logitech itself. So there *are* some TOUCH units in inventory.

erland
2012-09-09, 08:37

First of all, why worry about something that haven't happen ?

Are you sure it's a good idea to by more equipment from a manufacturer who have just shutdown the product, wouldn't that just make it harder to switch to the company that's eventually going to fill the hole Logitech has left with some new exciting product ?

Neither Touch nor Duet is likely to be repaired or replaced if they break a year in the future, because by then there will be no replacements remaining and it will likely cost more to repair it than just give you the money back.

Finally, if the worst thing happens, you can always get a iOS/Android device and a suitable docking station and use one of the third party Squeezebox player apps available, for example iPeng on iOS or SqueezePlayer on Android.

Mnyb
2012-09-09, 08:38
No, I think the duet is just as reliable at the TOUCH (maybe more so, as there is no screen to go out). My point was that the duet receiver has been discontinued for several years (so none would exist in inventory for replacement). The TOUCH is still being sold by Amazon, and until a couple of weeks ago by Logitech itself. So there *are* some TOUCH units in inventory.

The controller is the most likely part to fail , but receiver is less complicated so it may last longer . Controller can be replaced by an app , Receiver can be configured with the net::udap script if you change your network and has no working controller .
In fact that would be a good thing the "force you to mysqueezebox.com" stuff is located in the controller anyway .

bertdw
2012-09-10, 03:32
First of all, why worry about something that haven't happen ?

Because it's quite possible it might happen, and I've become quite dependent upon the Squeezebox.

Are you sure it's a good idea to by more equipment from a manufacturer who have just shutdown the product, wouldn't that just make it harder to switch to the company that's eventually going to fill the hole Logitech has left with some new exciting product ?

No, I'm not sure, that's why I asked the question, to explore my options. There is no competing product I've seen that does what the Squeezebox does for anywhere near the price.

Finally, if the worst thing happens, you can always get a iOS/Android device and a suitable docking station and use one of the third party Squeezebox player apps available, for example iPeng on iOS or SqueezePlayer on Android.

Can I stream from my server with this setup? I've never seen a 2TB iOS/Android device.

garym
2012-09-10, 03:37
Can I stream from my server with this setup? I've never seen a 2TB iOS/Android device.

Yes, using iPeng I can stream to my iphone and ipad FROM MY 6TB SERVER. The iphone/ipad is not holding the music (just like SB players themselves are not holding the music). And it will sync to my other players and do gapless. The only thing lacking at the moment is ipeng's use of ReplayGain. I'd also have to explore a way to get from iphone/ipad to DAC in a bit perfect way. There are other threads discussing the various docks, etc.

bertdw
2012-09-10, 03:46
Thanks again for the replies and advice.

bertdw
2012-09-10, 03:50
Yes, using iPeng I can stream to my iphone and ipad FROM MY 6TB SERVER.

That's intriquing. I'll look into this. Thank you very much.

garym
2012-09-10, 03:53
That's intriquing. I'll look into this. Thank you very much.

you purchase ipeng and you separately purchase the "play" option. So then you have ipeng as a CONTROLLER and ipeng as a PLAYER.

RonM
2012-09-10, 07:19

I see at least two listings (with inventory) of the Duet on eBay (search Squeezebox), from $280 for new to $180 for "manufacturer refurbished".

R.

tusken
2012-09-10, 09:08
Yes, using iPeng I can stream to my iphone and ipad FROM MY 6TB SERVER. The iphone/ipad is not holding the music (just like SB players themselves are not holding the music). And it will sync to my other players and do gapless. The only thing lacking at the moment is ipeng's use of ReplayGain. I'd also have to explore a way to get from iphone/ipad to DAC in a bit perfect way. There are other threads discussing the various docks, etc.

thanks Gary, i didnt realise this either. so an ithing with a suitable dock would be a fair replacement for my boom, for example ,and other listening areas where i dont require it to be "audiophile." However, to replace my touch (if it fails) playing 24/96 into my main system with an ithing i would, as you say, need to find a way of outputting digital to a DAC, bit perfect. is that possible? has anyone else looked into this aspect?

any replies would be helpful not just to me i am sure.

garym
2012-09-10, 09:17
thanks Gary, i didnt realise this either. so an ithing with a suitable dock would be a fair replacement for my boom, for example ,and other listening areas where i dont require it to be "audiophile." However, to replace my touch (if it fails) playing 24/96 into my main system with an ithing i would, as you say, need to find a way of outputting digital to a DAC, bit perfect. is that possible? has anyone else looked into this aspect?

any replies would be helpful not just to me i am sure.

Already a thread on this here:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?96304-Recommended-Docks-for-iPeng-Playback&highlight=dock+pippin

bertdw
2012-09-14, 05:34
Shortly after starting this thread I began to watch the price of the Touch at Amazon. For a day or two Amazon and two other merchants had it for $240 with free shipping. Then the price went up at all three to $250. Yesterday I noticed the other two merchants aren't on the list anymore. This morning, I bought one. Feels like an expensive insurance policy. :-) I'll still be keeping an eye on the alternatives. Thanks to everyone for their input.