PDA

View Full Version : Did I Miss a Meeting?

fairyliquidizer
2012-09-08, 02:00
There are a few threads saying "what will I do now that the SB is dead" but I don't see an announcement. Is this confirmed? If so I am sad although I wont be leaving the platform any time soon.

Fairy has been liquidized

Mnyb
2012-09-08, 02:08
Yep the SB line has been replaced by a Logitech UE line that includes a re-branding of the Radio , Touch is no longer on sale by Logitech , no replacement anounced.

The UE software or online service will not be backward compatible to older squeezeboxes . The UE software is a simplified version geared for mostly online use and a simplified "server" for local files.The UE radio is always connected to the online server even when it plays local files your local server is only another source , no web-UI , interface trouch front panel or iOS or andriod app .

Suggest catching up in the other treads for the gory details :)

erland
2012-09-08, 04:16
This post is a good start, it gives a fairly clear view of what it means for the Squeezebox (it's not an official statement but it comes from a Logitech employee):
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?96188-New-Squeezebox-Radio&p=714295&viewfull=1#post714295

On top of this I've also said that there is no reason to panic and buy something else at the moment, your Squeezebox worked great 2 weeks ago, it works great today and it's very likely going to work great next year. It's obvious that Logitech's involvement is likely going to decrease over time but it's also likely that someone else will provide what we need because that's how the market works, it might be an existing manufacturer or it might be someone new, we will just have to wait and see.

Mnyb
2012-09-08, 05:43
A factual error from me in my first response , it is so that an SB radio can be "upgraded" to UE Radio .

fairyliquidizer
2012-09-14, 14:59
Thanks guys. I've digested enough to be comfortable that nothing is threatening my continuing to run my current set up.

I ain't panicking unless plugins start to die.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

finnbrodersen
2012-09-16, 02:47
hi

I feel the same way, no reason to "panic". My setup will likely work for the next couple of years. Only darkhorse is hardware failure. But on the other hand second hand Duet systems are very cheap (dkk 500) here in Denmark, so hardly a problem.