PDA

View Full Version : Apple to create competitor to Pandora

garym
2012-09-07, 05:03
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/07/technology/apple-plans-to-challenge-pandora-in-web-radio.html?_r=1&hp

Agent Smith
2012-09-07, 06:21
They sell consumers hardware, tightly controlling what's available. They sell consumers software, and censor what software is available, while taking a cut from third-party developer profits. They sell video and e-books and censor what content is available, while taking a cut from content creator's profits. Now they are trying to sell streaming music, while censoring what content is available and taking a cut of the profits. Meanwhile they are the world's largest corporation by market capitalization and post record-setting earnings quarter after quarter.

At what point do consumers wake up and realize they are selling their souls to Apple's shareholders?

I'm quite content with paying Microsoft for an operating system and then choosing who to buy my hardware from, who to buy my software from, whatever music stores I like, my own music server (Squeezebox), etc.

toby10
2012-09-07, 06:41
Agent Smith,
I generally agree and I don't own anything Apple. But MS has done the same with their Zune music system, tethering users music libraries to a very select few (and declining) hardware base. Luckily I was steered clear of both early on. ;)

garym
2012-09-07, 06:47
Agent Smith,
I generally agree and I don't own anything Apple. But MS has done the same with their Zune music system, tethering users music libraries to a very select few (and declining) hardware base. Luckily I was steered clear of both early on. ;)

I generally agree as well. I own and use apple stuff (ipad/ipod/iphone), but my use of Squeezeboxes, foobar2000, linux servers, etc. certainly keeps my options entirely open. And I have never been a supporter of DRM (which of course is gone now from itunes) or of *only* having my music in the cloud (rented vs owned).

Side note: Interesting that now many see Apple as "the "man" controlling us consumers" (and in many cases rightly so) but many years ago, when I was hacking around with my Apple II in the late 1970s, Apple was the "hip, open competitor" to the behemoths IBM and later MicroSoft. Time changes everything.

simbo
2012-09-07, 06:51
I agree, but Apple are so good at selling these services in an integrated fashion that even when it is possible to use a different service, the vast majority of Apple consumers would still flock to Apple's own one. It's something that even Google haven't been able to emulate (for better or for worse).

epoch1970
2012-09-07, 09:24
I generally disagree :)
Of course, everyone is entitled to his own opinions you know the rest.

castalla
2012-09-07, 09:35
... and don't forget the Annual Apple Tax tribute is about to be collected with the release of the iPhone 5.

Most of these devices are simply cash generating devices - and to make matters worse the end-user has to actually buy the one-arm bandit before they can start feeding it the coins.