PDA

View Full Version : CBC Music - doesn't work via SB but does via PC

castalla
2012-09-01, 13:32
Crazy .... Forbidden via SB but loud and clear on PC.

Why?

RonM
2012-09-01, 13:52
Works for me, just checked. Not all of the channels are up on the Internet Radio national networks list, but the most recent set aren't there yet (e.g. Canadian Roots),and the CBC folks are blaming Logitech. But most work fine if you have a Canadian IP address. My work computer is networked through our US operation, and supplies a US IP address, and I can't get these channels through either SB or straight internet, although things like live radio and concerts work fine.

Ron

castalla
2012-09-01, 13:55
Hmmm? I'm trying to find the CBC On Demand stuff - particularly Concerts.

Any ideas?

RonM
2012-09-01, 14:05
Ah, that might be different. The old OPML list doesn't work, but you might be able to see the URL from a regular computer stream. I thought I had done this but can't replicate just now. The channels work though.

Ron

bpa
2012-09-01, 14:09
If SB is connected to mysb.com then I think it been broken for a while due to geo ip locking.

See http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?94353-CBC-app-broken

castalla
2012-09-01, 14:20
If SB is connected to mysb.com then I think it been broken for a while due to geo ip locking.

See http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?94353-CBC-app-broken

Seems bizarre - not blocked via PC but locked via mysb.com!

I still can't find any listings for CBC On Demand ...

RonM
2012-09-01, 19:02
Seems bizarre - not blocked via PC but locked via mysb.com!

I still can't find any listings for CBC On Demand ...

I did have a conversation with a CBC guy. They have definitely geo-fenced the CBC Music streams ( the 40 odd channels of various music genres), but have not done so for the live radio streams. I was sure that they hadn't geo-genced the Concerts On Demand, these are now being handled in a different way than they used to be. The old OPML files which were distributed a while back don't work any more.

I just obtained the URL for the first song of the Kate McGarrigle tribute concert. I can play this from within the SB system, after saving it to favourites, so unless it's geo-fenced it should be available to anyone. the URL is:

http://static.music.cbc.ca/v2/concerts/3/3795/tracks/Kiss-And-Say-Goodbye.mp3?r=0.2866975236684084

I have not figured out a way to play the whole concert from a single URL. However, you can create a playlist that can be played in a continuous form, and all the tracks could be added to a single playlist.

Interested to find if folks outside of Canada can access this via favorites in SB.

Ron

R.

castalla
2012-09-02, 02:39
I did have a conversation with a CBC guy. They have definitely geo-fenced the CBC Music streams ( the 40 odd channels of various music genres), but have not done so for the live radio streams. I was sure that they hadn't geo-genced the Concerts On Demand, these are now being handled in a different way than they used to be. The old OPML files which were distributed a while back don't work any more.

I just obtained the URL for the first song of the Kate McGarrigle tribute concert. I can play this from within the SB system, after saving it to favourites, so unless it's geo-fenced it should be available to anyone. the URL is:

http://static.music.cbc.ca/v2/concerts/3/3795/tracks/Kiss-And-Say-Goodbye.mp3?r=0.2866975236684084

I have not figured out a way to play the whole concert from a single URL. However, you can create a playlist that can be played in a continuous form, and all the tracks could be added to a single playlist.

Interested to find if folks outside of Canada can access this via favorites in SB.

Ron

R.

It plays for me outside Canada - you can drop the address after the mp3.

If only there was a way to get the whole stream - that's the concert I'm after!

RonM
2012-09-04, 18:03
I've posted a note in "Music" called CBC Music Channels, that gives the address for the OPML file that contains all the CBC Music Channels.

R.