PDA

View Full Version : Keep the spirit up guys; just bought a new Radio and used Receiver

hvb83
2012-08-31, 04:26
There seems to be a lot of (understandable) frustration and insecurity about the latest move made by Logitech. People seem unsure about what to do; staying on board and see what happens, others perhaps jumping the ship hoping that some other platform will fulfill their needs for a longer period of time. I for one rely on the power of this community and hope fantastic guys like Erland and Pippin can provide us with a system that serves our needs for the coming years.

I've decided that local music is the only thing that's really important to me. So before the stocks of current Radios are gone, I've just bought myself a brand new SBR to add to my collection. Furthermore I found a guy on ebay that sold a couple of Receivers at a very good price, wanted to buy two from him, but he had only one left. And I'm considering to buy a new Touch before they run out, but I'm not sure at this time. Let's see how prices develop the coming weeks.

If this isn't about having faith in the community, I don't know what is. Buying two systems of which you know at least one of them will not be supported if I ever wanted to make the switch to the UE-platform, not something you would normally do. I'm just very happy some guys actually seem to be working on solving the future issues for us now, I'm just sorry I can't be of much assistance on the technical part. But if the initiative needs to be supported by donations or a yearly fee, I'll be more than happy to do so!

pallfreeman
2012-08-31, 06:46
But if the initiative needs to be supported by donations or a yearly fee, I'll be more than happy to do so!

Ditto that.

I already have a lot invested in my Squeezeboxes. Financially, intellectually... emotionally...

hvb83
2012-09-12, 07:43
Got my new Touch today and the used Receiver was in the mail too. Very happy.

Seems the supplies of the Touch are getting slimmer though, at least here in The Netherlands. My supplier usually provides reliable info on stocks of them and their suppliers. But even though they clearly indicated their supplier had enough stock, they needed much longer than usual for delivery, even though they chased the supplier. Perhaps this is coincidence, but if people really want a new Touch against a reasonable price, I wouldn't wait too long.

jp73
2012-09-12, 07:52
Just received two brand new sealed Squeezebox Classics. Updated the firmware and put them back in the box. Keeping them as spares :-)

verypsb
2012-09-12, 07:57
Today I bought a new Squeezebox Touch and 2 used Squeezebox Receivers. Just to be sure I have enough Squeezeboxes to fulfill my needs the coming years...

nervoteso
2012-09-12, 08:03
just bought one radio and one touch. i also have a classic for back up.

jhonsberger@msn.com
2012-09-12, 15:31
For someone who uses the Squeezebox for music services like Pandora,MOG, etc even 20-30 percent of the time , buying extra squeezeboxes will be a waste unless plugins are developed for them .

I just don't get this rabid buying of a dead product line unless your only using
The squeezebox to listen to the music on your computer or nas .

pallfreeman
2012-09-12, 15:55
I just don't get this rabid buying of a dead product line unless your only using

Why "only"?

I bought into this product line to listen to my music, not someone else's choice, or something selected by a feeble algorithm. That's what squeezeboxes are supposed to be for and I'd like to carry on doing it, taverymuch.

jhonsberger@msn.com
2012-09-12, 16:50
Why "only"?

I bought into this product line to listen to my music, not someone else's choice, or something selected by a feeble algorithm. That's what squeezeboxes are supposed to be for and I'd like to carry on doing it, taverymuch.

When listening to MOG ,I listen to what I want to hear all the time and at a pretty good bitrate.

garym
2012-09-12, 19:15
When listening to MOG ,I listen to what I want to hear all the time and at a pretty good bitrate.

I have MOG and I use it and like it a lot. I also have about 70,000 of my own files (and I'm only 1/2 way through ripping my CDs). I have many hundreds of albums that are not on MOG or spotify (which I previously used). And even things that are on MOG in the past sometimes later disappear. Consequently, having my own music is important to me.

hvb83
2012-09-13, 01:28

For me the decision is clear; 95% of the time I use it to listen to my local music and the other 5% of the time is for streaming radio stations. Since I'll be moving to a bigger home in a couple of months time, I need additional streamers. And since I like the player sync option very much, the decision to buy additional SB's was easy. It was either that, or replace the players I already had by another system. But the latter will probably be a whole lot more expensive and won't bring any new features that hold a value for me.

verypsb
2012-09-13, 01:31
+1

And added a Squeezebox Radio to my collection :-)

local.bin
2012-09-13, 02:38
+1

socistep
2012-09-13, 05:25
I do use spotify a fair bit, this is to listen to albums before I decide to buy them or not and occasionally playlists from there - however I use Triodes plugin which as far as I'm aware runs seperately to mysb.com. Even less usage is of BBC radio which I think would still be available.

Local music is my main way of listening to music

ScottRennie
2012-09-13, 05:33
Totally agree. I have just bought 3 radios to keep me going until a new & improved Squeeze appears!

johtem
2012-09-13, 05:47
Today I have spend 327 and bought 1 Touch (for spare) and 1 Radio

JohnB
2012-09-13, 06:01

That is a valid point of view, but many of us have centred our listening around SB products and, at the moment, it is difficult to think of anything else that provides the same versatility. For example, I use LMS/Touch to:

- Play ripped CDs (OK I could use my CD player)
- Play downloaded files, some of which are 96/24 or 88.2/24
- Play captured BBC Radio 3 concerts (mp2, mp3 from past years, now aac 320kbps which I wrap in m4a)
- Play those concerts using cue files I've created
- Listen to iPlayer, live and listen again (this is dependent on Triode of course)
- Listen to Spotify (this is also dependent on Triode)
- I have just installed the Inguz digital room correction and am about to set up the DRC filters

welom
2012-09-13, 07:25
My Spare-Touch arrived this morning. hmmm... is one spare unit enough? :-)

amey01
2012-09-13, 15:16

I bought the Squeezebox NOT to listen to a "pretty good bitrate", but to listen to FLAC.

I bought the Squeezeebox Touch to listen to my substantial collection of 24/96 FLACs.

For some - "pretty good" or "near enough" is not good enough.

Julf
2012-09-14, 10:29
For some interesting data, this is a Dutch price comparison web site data on the Sqeezebox Boom: http://ic.tweakimg.net/ext/i/?ProduktID=222860

johtem
2012-09-14, 11:11
Yesterday i paid 198 for a Touch at Wifimedia, today the price is 249!!

hvb83
2012-09-14, 23:30
Wow, that's crazy! Well... it's a fair price for a great device like the Touch, more realistic than around 200 if you ask me, but it does indicate retailers expect supplies to go down while demand will still be there. Informatique is one of the few retailers that actually show an indication of their suppliers' stock. While this was still there on Thursday, it now shows they've run out of them.

If Logitech doesn't provide new Touches anymore, which I don't expect, then this probably means retailers are left with the units they have in stock. Much sooner than I expected. :(

cparker
2012-09-15, 01:23
http://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/Logitech-930-000089-Squeezebox-Touch/product/B002N203SW

UK prices have also jumped as well rather than collapse, suggesting hot cakes rather than bargepole :)