PDA

View Full Version : No more radio streaming on SB Classic after network reconfiguration

gdude
2012-08-30, 10:39
(Hoping that this is the right forum, as I couldn't find a SB Classic forum.)

I have a SB Classic and a SB Radio. Both were running fine until I recently reconfigured my network to let the Classic connect over Ethernet instead of WiFi. The Radio still runs fine. The Classic still runs fine for streamed content from the LM Server, but it can no longer access radio streams or podcasts from the Internet. It simply says "Connection timed out" after a while.

I have the impression that it has something to do with the Classic's network/routing/ARP settings not getting updated properly. I repeatedly tried rebooting my router, resetting the network settings on the Classic, rebooting the Classic, and even restoring it to factory defaults, all to no avail.

To give some more information, I used to have the following configuration with both the Radio and the Classic over Wifi and the LM Server over LAN (sorry, spaces seem to get screwed up when doing better diagram):

Internet
> Cable modem
>> WRT-54GL Router
>>> LAN
>>>> LM Server
>>> Wifi
>>>> Squeezebox Classic
>>>> Squeezebox Radio

The Wifi signal at my Classic was a bit weak though, so I decided to connect it over Ethernet with an extra FS105 switch in front:

Internet
> Cable modem
>> WRT-54GL Router
>>> LAN
>>>> FS105 Switch
>>>>> LM Server
>>>>> Squeezebox Classic
>>> Wifi
>>>> Squeezebox Radio

The Radio runs fine after the reconfiguration: it connects nicely to the LM Server, streams audio from it, and streams external radio feeds and podcasts. The Classic connects to the LM Server, streams audio from it, but cannot access any audio sources on the Internet (including mysb.com).

Any idea anyone? I've been pulling my hair out on this one -- and I don't have too many left. ;-)

SamS
2012-08-30, 10:52
What happens if you set the Classic to use WiFi again, instead of ethernet?

gdude
2012-08-30, 12:14
Well, that's also bizarre, actually: if I reconnect the Classic on Wifi, then the Classic no longer finds my LM Server, but it *can* access mysqueezebox.com and external radio streams. It's particularly bizarre given that the Radio is on the same Wifi and can see the Classic without problem...

ply3908
2012-08-30, 12:20
"Connection timed out" means it has problem connecting to MySB.com. You can logon to MySB.com via web browser to see of the SB Classic is connected.

ply3908
2012-08-30, 12:23
Well, that's also bizarre, actually: if I reconnect the Classic on Wifi, then the Classic no longer finds my LM Server, but it *can* access mysqueezebox.com and external radio streams. It's particularly bizarre given that the Radio is on the same Wifi and can see the Classic without problem...

Reboot everything (The router, LMS server and the problem payer) may solve your problem.

epoch1970
2012-08-30, 12:39
I would have a look at the router's configuration:
a - 2 networks, one for wifi, one for LAN,
b - 2 wifi networks, one regular, one of the "guest" type,
c - Fixed DHCP addresses delivered to the players (possibly now in the wrong range, cf. a)
d - LAN being mostly firewalled, wifi network mostly not
… are causes that come to mind for the troubles you describe.

If the players all have an address in the same range (like 192.168.1.x) then you can rule out a. and c.
Cause d. is in my experience the biggest suspect. I run my SBs in a network where incoming connection is locked down, but outgoing is totally free. In previous configurations, the SB would bump on the firewall, or it was the server, or the iPlayer plugin…

gdude
2012-08-30, 12:58
Thanks for all your prompt responses. No luck yet so far, though.

First a correction: when trying to connect to mysqueezebox.com, it doesn't say "Connection timed out" but "Can't find address for mysqueezebox.com". When trying to connect to an external radio stream, it says "Connecting..." for a while and then simply "Stopped".

I tried rebooting everything (router, server, player) several times, just did so again to make sure, no luck. :-(

I'm pretty sure I only have a single network, all devices (Wifi and LAN) get IP addresses in the range 192.168.1.100-200. I can't even see how I could set different firewall settings for LAN and Wifi if I wanted to -- I'm using Tomato firmware on the WRT54GL, if that could help.

I don't have the iPlayer plugin installed either.

epoch1970
2012-08-30, 13:13
First a correction: when trying to connect to mysqueezebox.com, it doesn't say "Connection timed out" but "Can't find address for mysqueezebox.com".
I have a vague recollection that the ip3k players store an IP address for mysb.com on the 1st time they connect to it, and things can get messy that way.
Did you try to power off the player by pulling the power cord yet ? I think a power cycle refreshes it better. I'm a bit unsure, but I guess there's no harm in trying.

ply3908
2012-08-30, 13:18
I have 4 SB radios (all wifi) and 1 Touch (cable). Few week ago, I replaced my router with a new one with the same SSID and encryption password. One of the radio had problem connecting to MySB.com. I remember I had to do the following steps to fix it:

- Logon to MySB.com and delete the problem radio.
- Did a factory reset on the radio.
- Re-enter the MySB.com info.

TomAmes
2012-08-30, 14:32
Did you try to power off the player by pulling the power cord yet ? I think a power cycle refreshes it better. I'm a bit unsure, but I guess there's no harm in trying.

I have had a similar problem as OP, and unplugging the receiver has always been the simplest and most effective remedy.

I have a Duet with two receivers (wired) and a Boom (wireless), and they occasionally "disappear" from LMS. Unplugging/replugging fixes it.

I have the same router as OP, but mine is flashed with Tomato firmware, so I wonder if that might be the source of our issues. I have discovered that assigning IP addresses to all SBs in addition to re-setting the router's static lease time to "infinite" has made this issue occur far less frequently.

gdude
2012-09-01, 03:31
Thanks to all for numerous and quick responses. I finally got it working, even though I"m still unsure what exactly caused the problem.

I first replaced my WRT54GL router with an old crappy Zyxel and forced the SB Classic back to factory settings (holding + while powering off and on). Everything suddenly worked normally, i.e., connection to LMS and to the outside world (mysb.com and radio streams) at the same time.

Then I powered down the SB Classic again, put back in my WRT54GL, saved its configuration, restored it to default router settings, restored it to the saved configuration, forced the SB Classic back to factory settings, and voila, everything worked normally.

My guess is that either the WRT54GL or the SB Classic caches some network or routing tables in a way that is hard to flush. Anyway, everything works now, so I'm happy. :-)