PDA

View Full Version : How much do we need squeezebox hardware? Is LMS alone enough?

mps
2012-08-29, 13:07
I can play music (with some restrictions) on iPeng/SqueezeSlave/Squeezeplay without a squeezebox. To what extent can these restrictions be reduced without significant help from Logitech? Can a viable long term solution based on LMS and generic hardware be forged?

garym
2012-08-29, 14:48
I can play music (with some restrictions) on iPeng/SqueezeSlave/Squeezeplay without a squeezebox. To what extent can these restrictions be reduced without significant help from Logitech? Can a viable long term solution based on LMS and generic hardware be forged?

Yes, for local music and internet radio, but the harder part is access to services such as MOG, spotify, siriusxm, etc.

pippin
2012-08-29, 14:49
Not necessarily. For Spotify, for example, there's Triode's excellent plugin which was always better than Logitech's implementation anyway. Same for BBC, NPR,...

garym
2012-08-29, 14:54
Not necessarily. For Spotify, for example, there's Triode's excellent plugin which was always better than Logitech's implementation anyway. Same for BBC, NPR,...

True. I would really need siriusxm. MOG would be nice but I could return to spotify. My brother would really need pandora.

ajkidle
2012-08-29, 17:21
My concern focuses on the longterm availability of MySB.com. As I understand it, services like Rhapsody and Pandora cease to function if MySB.com goes away -- and without access to those services, the SB ecosystem I've installed in my house is of little value. Is a 3rd party solution even possible to fill the place of MySB.com?

This outcome isn't entirely surprising, but I was holding out a glimmer of hope that something good was on the horizon. This is a pretty depressing development. Squeezebox is integral to how I listen to music (and get weather forecasts!) -- major bummer to see this die off.