PDA

View Full Version : No more Touch?

RonM
2012-08-29, 07:55
Was just on the Canadian Logitech site, and the Touch has disappeared. I did a search on the name, and got a hit, but when the link is clicked it goes to the Wifi page where there is no Touch, but a Radio accessory kit.

Went to the US site, and same thing. They DO still list the Transporter SE, but no Touch. Same thing when doing a search, it comes up with a hit, but when you click on the "more info" link it goes to the Wifi page with no Touch.

Anyone got more info?

r.

Grumpy Bob
2012-08-29, 08:15
Was just on the Canadian Logitech site, and the Touch has disappeared. I did a search on the name, and got a hit, but when the link is clicked it goes to the Wifi page where there is no Touch, but a Radio accessory kit.

Went to the US site, and same thing. They DO still list the Transporter SE, but no Touch. Same thing when doing a search, it comes up with a hit, but when you click on the "more info" link it goes to the Wifi page with no Touch.

Anyone got more info?

r.

Several threads in General and Radio forums about this situation!

Robert

mlsstl
2012-08-29, 09:13
Hard to say what's actually going on as Logitech has always been very secretive about such things. A quick check showed the Touch is still available at Amazon, Crutchfield & ABT, so it may be little more than an inventory issue and the timing of production runs.

I can remember a few years back when people were proclaiming the Duet's player was prematurely dead. It turned out the original internal wi-fi circuit was no longer available and they had to FCC re-certify the replacement before they could do the manufacturing run. Not sure why that was a state secret until after-the-fact, but it was

Logitech is a very curious company when it comes to telling the public what's up, but assume they have their reasons for doing things the way they do. Unfortunately I lack the ability to read their mind! What I do know is that it is human nature to speculate endlessly in the absence of solid info. If those in-the-know don't share, the rumor mill will provide all the hot air needed to fill the void.

mlsstl
2012-08-29, 13:06
Looks like I stand corrected. Thanks to mherger's knowledgeable comments in the Radio section, it looks like the Squeezebox line has run its course. See: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?96188-New-Squeezebox-Radio.

It's a pity, but not too surprising. The world has many examples of fine products that had the plug pulled after they weren't fully supported by their corporation.

However, I'm not overly concerned. I've got a number of discontinued products around my house that still work just fine, from my 50 year old Heathkit test equipment, a 30 year old Hobart KitchenAid mixer and a 12 or 13 year old Panasonic high-def TV with HD display. I'll just add my three Squeezebox models to that list and keep enjoying them.

About the only question in my mind is whether I buy a spare Touch or not. I'll think about that....

garym
2012-08-29, 13:59
world has many examples of fine products that had the plug pulled after they weren't fully supported by their corporation.

However, I'm not overly concerned. I've got a number of discontinued products around my house that still work just fine, from my 50 year old Heathkit test equipment, a 30 year old Hobart KitchenAid mixer and a 12 or 13 year old Panasonic high-def TV with HD display. I'll just add my three Squeezebox models to that list and keep enjoying them.

About the only question in my mind is whether I buy a spare Touch or not. I'll think about that....

Agree. And I bought a spare touch and radio today.