PDA

View Full Version : NecroBox: What Next?

gharris999
2012-08-29, 07:49
So...for those of us with significant Squeezebox hardware investments who plan on trying to keep them "alive", what should we do next?

Start our own forum/wiki somewhere?

Fork LMS?

Come up with a bullet proof hardware recipe for a "SquozeBox" (RPi+Squeezeslave?)

Wirrunna
2012-08-29, 16:01
!. Start our own forum/wiki somewhere? We need an indication from Logitech as to how long they will keep this forum alive or risk fragmenting the knowledgebase.

2. Fork LMS - probably a good move, but again we need some indication from Logitech, better answered by you, Erland, Triode, CParker and other active developers

3. "SquozeBox (RPi+Squeezeslave?) - Yes to "Come up with a bullet proof hardware recipe"

castalla
2012-08-29, 16:08
As to 1. a number of Reciva users set up their own forum when Reciva closed their forum without warning overnight. It's called the Reciva Refuge, and someone there has already suggested a Squeezebox Sanctum!

agillis
2012-08-29, 19:51
We already have out own fork of LMS and we intend to keep it running for as long as possible. With VortexBox player there will always be a SqueezeBox compatible player available. I'm not sure about mysqueezebox.com we will have to see how long that stays around. The licensing agreements Logitech has with third party providers may be hard to replicate.

erland
2012-08-29, 21:12
!. Start our own forum/wiki somewhere? We need an indication from Logitech as to how long they will keep this forum alive or risk fragmenting the knowledgebase.

Let's not panic yet.

I agree with you on longer terms but give us some time to analyze what's most important to handle on short terms first, Logitech hopefully don't have any plans to shutdown forum/wiki in the near future and then there might be more important things to do in the near future. After all, this forum takes some load of their official support channels, so the cost for hosting the forum can probably be justified pretty easily through decreased costs by not having as much resources in the official Logitech support channel. After the 7.6.0 debacle I'm also fairly sure they are very aware of the value of keeping this community forum on short terms and this is especially true as long as the old Slim Devices developers are still working for Logitech.

2. Fork LMS - probably a good move, but again we need some indication from Logitech, better answered by you, Erland, Triode, CParker and other active developers

3. "SquozeBox (RPi+Squeezeslave?) - Yes to "Come up with a bullet proof hardware recipe"

Let's not panic yet.

As I said in another thread, I suggest that people shouldn't panic and start abandoning the hardware at this time.
I can't go into any further details at the moment but I want to remind everyone that even though we might love the Logitech software we also really love the Squeezebox hardware, the Squeezebox hardware is very open and with custom/patched firmware it's possible to use it without the need for a Logitech maintained software/firmware at all.

I do realize we need something that isn't dependent on Logitech hardware/software on longer terms but on short terms the Logitech software/hardware will continue to work great and there are solutions for people that need additional hardware players:
- With Apple iPhone/iPod Touch:
-- iPeng on an iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad (even have audiophile support with the right docking station and latest iPeng version)
-- SqueezePad on an iPad
- With Android based hardware:
-- SqueezePlayer on an Android devices
- With a Vortexbox Appliance, which as previously mentioned isn't just a server, it's can also be a Squeezebox player.

Also remember that due to their open solutions it's a not that unlikely that your Squeezebox hardware and the above hardware devices will be reusable in another system, a Sonos hardware would on the other hand very likely only be usable in a Sonos system so going out and buy a Sonos already now would make you even more stuck than you already is. Sonos might turn out to be the best option in the end, but in my opinion it's too early assume that yet.

Your Squeezebox system worked great August 28'th, it's working great today and it's also very likely going to work great 6-12 months in the future. On longer terms you might need something else but it's not urgent, so I suggest you wait and see a bit what happens during next 6-12 months before starting to switch to a competing closed or more limited system.

I personally don't have any plans to abandon or replace my Squeezebox hardware at the moment.

pippin
2012-08-30, 02:39
We already have out own fork of LMS and we intend to keep it running for as long as possible. With VortexBox player there will always be a SqueezeBox compatible player available. I'm not sure about mysqueezebox.com we will have to see how long that stays around. The licensing agreements Logitech has with third party providers may be hard to replicate.

Have you got all necessary rights to redistribute that?
Have you stripped the proprietary content or do you have a license from Logitech?

garym
2012-08-30, 04:10
Start our own forum/wiki somewhere?

As I've posted elsewhere, I have no plans to move to something else until I can't do with my SB stuff, what I can do today. And in fact I've bought a couple of players to add to the backup units I already had. However, I've been a bit concerned about this "forum" issue since logitech started the "official' forums at:
http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Squeezebox-Players/bd-p/squeezeboxplayers

I have a couple of concerns. First is that it would really be a shame to lose the ability to search this forum. I've learned a tremendous amount on this forum. But once the forum is gone, I suspect there is no easy way to "port" the threads and history to a new location/owner. A shame.

Second, I too am hopeful that they'll keep this forum alive for a reasonable length of time. But it also seems (as has happened with other products/forums) that we will NOT get some sort of warning about future closing. I suspect the end of this forum will simply be clicking on the link one day and getting a "site not found" from your browser. So I ponder where we remaining "squeezenuts" gather on the web to regroup. It reminds me of being a small kid at the Texas State Fair and my parents telling me that if I get lost, we should plan to meet at the foot of Big Tex (a giant statue in the middle of the fair grounds). So where will our "Big Tex" be located on the web. I see some of you posting at vortexbox, the official logitech forums, or even mp3tag or dbpa. But those forums are not really replacements for a squeezebox-centric discussion.

epoch1970
2012-08-30, 06:01
So...for those of us with significant Squeezebox hardware investments who plan on trying to keep them "alive", what should we do next?

Try and bring back Sean to the game ?

Keeping the current SBs alive is not, I think, a strong enough proposition. It's a response to FUD, FUD will subside in time, and I don't feel this community has much control over time.
What we need is a continuation plan + a mission statement on the development of new players. This I think, would be a proposition more suited to retain at least a small part of the current user base.

pz1
2012-08-30, 06:01
Have you got all necessary rights to redistribute that?
Have you stripped the proprietary content or do you have a license from Logitech?
Well, with its recent actions Logitech has declared war to its user community. In times of war everthing is allowed ;)

epoch1970
2012-08-30, 06:08
Let's not panic yet.
Allright. Say when. :)