PDA

View Full Version : Mp3Tunes dead - possible alternatives?

castalla
2012-08-23, 03:51
Is there anyone out there who could investigate whether minus.com could be implemented for SB?

There's API info at http://minus.com/pages/api

erland
2012-08-23, 23:13
Is there anyone out there who could investigate whether minus.com could be implemented for SB?

There's API info at http://minus.com/pages/api

From an API perspective it feels like it should be possible to implement, the main issue is if they allow copyright files in private folders, if this isn't allowed it won't work.
Spontaneously, it feels like the service itself is mainly designed for people who want to share things, so I'm not sure it's an optimal solution for a music locker like mp3tunes.

I asked them a question regarding copyrighted files in private folders, I want to see what they say before I spend any more time on it.

castalla
2012-08-24, 02:21
From an API perspective it feels like it should be possible to implement, the main issue is if they allow copyright files in private folders, if this isn't allowed it won't work.
Spontaneously, it feels like the service itself is mainly designed for people who want to share things, so I'm not sure it's an optimal solution for a music locker like mp3tunes.

I asked them a question regarding copyrighted files in private folders, I want to see what they say before I spend any more time on it.

I read the Terms of use and I agree that it's not really clear.

I wonder if there are any other ways of replicating the mp3tunes feature?

aubuti
2012-08-24, 03:00

There is this "prototype" of a plugin for the Amazon cloud player: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?95937-Announce-Amazon-Cloud-Player-plugin

castalla
2012-08-24, 03:48
There is this "prototype" of a plugin for the Amazon cloud player: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?95937-Announce-Amazon-Cloud-Player-plugin

Thanks. I guess I'm really suggesting that there should/could be an app available via sb.com.

Also, SB should really retire the mp3tunes app given the circumstances.

aubuti
2012-08-24, 04:06
Thanks. I guess I'm really suggesting that there should/could be an app available via sb.com. Understood. Of course, most mysb.com "apps" started as plugins. Whether this app will get any traction with Amazon, or whether it needs to, I don't know.

castalla
2012-08-24, 04:14
Understood. Of course, most mysb.com "apps" started as plugins. Whether this app will get any traction with Amazon, or whether it needs to, I don't know.

I agree.

I may give the amazon prototype a try.

castalla
2012-08-24, 06:19
I agree.

I may give the amazon prototype a try.

Having read the install details, I'll have to give it a miss as I find them incomprehensible.

Guess I'll just have to wait until somebody comes up with a 3rd party app routine.

erland
2012-08-24, 09:14

I got answer from minus.com and it looks like they don't have any issues as long as you keep the files in private folders. I think the terms of use is a bit unclear because they mainly think about the service as a way to share data between users and not like a private data storage.

I'm pretty sure we can forget about Logitech doing an integration on mysqueezebox.com though, because they would only integrate a service clearly focused at music like mp3tunes. Honestly I'm not even sure Logitech would have integrated mp3tunes, I believe that integration was done while Squeezebox was still handled by Slim Devices. If we want something from Logitech, I suspect Google Music or Amazon Cloud is the best chances, of these Google Music is likely a dead end as Google want people to purchase Android devices to stream from Google Music and is unlikely to allow Logitech to stream to a Squeezebox.

However, unless I'm missing something it might be possible to do a third party applet which integrates with minus.com and that would mean that it can work on a Squeezebox Touch or Squeezebox Radio without a local SBS/LMS. It will of course still not work on the third party Android and iOS players since they don't support applets, so it's not the perfect solution, but I believe some of these third party players also has been banned from streaming from mysqueezebox.com ,so even a mysqeezebox.com solution might not work with them.

The main issue with minus.com is that it might not be a good long term solution since they aren't focused at providing a private cloud music storage, due to this there is a risk they will later add restrictions that cause issues if you want to stream from it. Also, based on the API another issue is that the browsing would be restricted to browse by music folder, so you wouldn't get the full Squeezebox experience with possibility to browse the library in many different ways. A third issue is that you only get 10 GB when registering and they currently don't have any way to expand that by purchasing more storage, you can expand it up to 50 GB by inviting friends as I've understood.

I'm a bit occupied in the near future, but if you still think it's interesting I'll try to get a few hours to experiment a bit as soon as possible just to see if it's possible to get a simple prototype up and running. If someone else is interested in doing an integration with minus.com, please let me know because then I prefer to focus on other activities.

castalla
2012-08-24, 09:26
Thanks so much for all the effort you've already put into this!

Before you spend any more time, maybe I should post something asking if others would be interested - no point in you spending hours on this if there are only a couple of users.

aroreani
2012-12-31, 18:27
The mp3tunes and michaelrobertson.com websites are DOWN without warning.

Does this mean that our uploaded items are GONE?

The least they could have done was to give their users 1-2 months to retrieve their data. Or was it a sudden seizure of assets etc?

What recourse do we have as users?

erland
2012-12-31, 22:21

The least they could have done was to give their users 1-2 months to retrieve their data. Or was it a sudden seizure of assets etc?

They filed for bankruptcy in April:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57432129-93/mp3tunes.com-locker-service-files-for-bankruptcy-exclusive/

I don't remember if it was announced via mail from mp3tunes or Logitech but independent if it was announced or not I suspect there isn't much you can do about it at this stage, your uploaded files are probably lost. I guess you could call Logitech support and let them know that you would have like better information that mp3tunes was about to go away so they can handle it better next time some service provider disappears.

castalla
2013-01-01, 05:41
Check again - maintainance break.

toby10
2013-01-01, 06:43
..... Does this mean that our uploaded items are GONE? .....

This is a drawback to relying solely on online services for storage/backup. If they go belly up or have a security breach you may lose everything.
Always have a local backup of everything. ;)

wayneBR
2013-01-01, 09:35
This was posted on DAR.FM web site:

"Please Note! DAR.fm is currently undergoing a scheduled maintenance upgrade to improve our systems and offer faster service. DAR.fm will be unavailable from Friday, Dec 28th to Tuesdays, Jan 1st. YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO RECORD OR PLAY ANY SHOWS DURING THIS TIME. Recording and playback will be restored on Wednesdays, Jan 2. We appreciate your support of DAR.fm and apologize for any inconvenience."

aubuti
2013-01-01, 18:45

Are you saying that you uploaded your files to those sites and then deleted all of the copies you held yourself?! Seriously?
You may have just learned an essential lesson the hard way. I can't imagine sites like that being held responsible for self-inflicted losses by their users.