PDA

View Full Version : Napster or other streaming audio



spw
2004-11-07, 15:50
I'm using a PC running Windows XP (SP2).
I'm still struggling with playlists from Napster on my SlimServer/Squeezebox.
The trouble is that the Napster playlists are saved on Napster's server not
my local machine.
Surely the answer is to re-direct the output from my PC's soundcard to my
Squeezebox, how is that done?
Any ideas would be welcome.
SPW

Jim
2004-11-07, 20:31
spw wrote:
> I'm using a PC running Windows XP (SP2).
> I'm still struggling with playlists from Napster on my
> SlimServer/Squeezebox.
> The trouble is that the Napster playlists are saved on Napster's server
> not my local machine.
> Surely the answer is to re-direct the output from my PC's soundcard to
> my Squeezebox, how is that done?

This would require making the Squeezebox a virtual soundcard, which
means OS specific drivers. I don't think that's really the point of the
Squeezebox, but it wouldn't surprise me to see it someday regardless.

I'm thinking the solution would be an API-based plugin, much like what
we did for Live365.

Dean, Vidur:
Do you have any relationship with Napster that we could exploit as we
did with Live365? If not, would you object to me contacting them
directly for an NDA and API documentation?

Cheers,
Jim

Kevin Weller
2004-11-08, 09:47
> In article <cmmp9j$j15$1 (AT) sea (DOT) gmane.org>, Jim wrote:
> This would require making the Squeezebox a virtual soundcard

I've been using dBpowerAMP (www.dbpoweramp.com) for years and have been
trying to tackle this from a different angle - find something that
would pick up the input to my soundcard and stream it so I can input it
to SlimServer. I've been equally unsuccessful.

Kevin

Steve Baumgarten
2004-11-08, 10:11
> I've been using dBpowerAMP (www.dbpoweramp.com) for years and have been
> trying to tackle this from a different angle - find something that
> would pick up the input to my soundcard and stream it so I can input it
> to SlimServer. I've been equally unsuccessful.

High Criteria (the makers of Total Recorder, a Windows utility that allows
you to capture to WAV or MP3 anything that comes through your sound card)
sells a developer's version -- basically an SDK -- that in theory could be
used to hook directly to a VB or perl script (in either case via OLE) that
then could, in turn, feed something like the SlimServer (as it can already
handle streams from more traditional sources).

http://www.highcriteria.com/productfr_trDEV.htm

That this isn't a free solution -- or even a ready to run out of the box
solution -- goes without saying.

SBB

Kevin Weller
2004-11-10, 12:14
In article <36300.139.149.1.203.1099933884.squirrel (AT) 139 (DOT) 149.1.203>,
Steve Baumgarten wrote:
> High Criteria (the makers of Total Recorder, a Windows utility
>
Thanks Steve. That's probably simple if one knows anything about Perl
but I don't unfortunately. I'll give Gavin's suggestion a go and see
how I get on with that.

Kevin