PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox Touch Buffering

MrClive
2012-08-14, 12:59
Hope someone can point me in the right direction

I've a SB Touch and Boom running set up with an old desktop that running vortexbox software / LMS server. I've also added Spotify on this LMS with the Triode 3rd party plug in so that the Boom can run Spotify.

I've noticed buffering problems when using Spotify on both the Touch and the Boom.

I've also noticed the BBC Radio App being slow to initially connect it and also experiences buffering problems.

The SB Touch also seems to be wanting to update software 2-3 times a week, which is really annoying.

I've tried restoring the SB Touch to factory setting and removed the Triode software from the Vortexbox LMS. I've re-installed just official Spotify app (without the Vortexbox being on) and it still buffers.

The same issue continues with the BBC Radio App being slow to connect and buffers (on both the Touch and Boom).

Any suggestions on what I can do to rectify this?

Many Thanks

toby10
2012-08-14, 13:09
Server computer wired? Running any software players? Does it buffer playing local music files or just internet streams? Are the players Sync'd?

Updating the player that often means one of two things:
1. You are running Beta LMS
A: turn off the updates in LMS > Settings > Advanced > Software Updates > Disabled)
A: don't run beta

2. You are switching the player between LMS and MySB.com, each at different versions (like running Beta LMS)
A: don't switch to MySB.com
A: use LMS version 7.7.2 (current MySB.com version)

MrClive
2012-08-14, 15:15
Thanks for getting back to me,

The PC running Vortexbox software is directly connected to the superhub via Ethernet cable.

I'm using a Virgin Superhub 30Meg connection, so getting approx 24 down on the older wireless cards, approx 29Mbt directly connected.

Not sure what you mean by software player?

I'll have to double check to see if the problem occurs with playing local music (I tend to use Spotify more these days)

The problem occurs when the players are unsync'd

Squeezeboxes are connected wireless to the Superhub no home plugs.

Sofware versions on the Touch is 7.7.2. r9663
Mysqueezebox.com is SS r33983, SNR 11822

Not sure how to find the software update on the Boom (I could find it was running firmware 57 if that helps)

toby10
2012-08-15, 03:45
Software player is something like SqueezePlay which runs on your computer. It emulates a hardware player, plays LMS audio through the computer speakers, can be used to control other hardware players. This is different than the LMS web UI.

What is your LMS version? LMS > Settings > Information

MrClive
2012-08-15, 12:27
Thanks Toby

I think I know where you're coming from

Going into the LMS that's installed on the old desktop that's running Vortexbox software In Server Setting>Information I have the following (which looks like an older version of the software.

Logitech Media Server Version: 7.7.1 - r33751 @ Sat Jan 14 13:31:51 EST 2012
Hostname: vortexbox.localdomain
Server IP Address: 192.168.0.7
Server HTTP Port Number: 9000
Operating system: Red Hat - EN - utf8
Platform Architecture: i686-linux
Perl Version: 5.14.2 - i386-linux-thread-multi
Database Version: DBD::SQLite 1.34_01 (sqlite 3.7.7.1)
Total Players Recognized: 2

MrClive
2012-08-15, 12:56
I've just tried installing the newer version of LMS sofware. I'd guessed that as Vortexbox has effectively converted the old desktop into a Linux based server that I should choose the Linux RPM from the dropdown. However when I try and do this windows (on the laptop I'm connecting to the LMS on) comes up with

"windows can't open this file

Logitechmediaserver-7.7.2-1........."

If I download the Windows Version of LMS it tries to install it on the laptop I'm connecting to the Vortexbox as opposed the Vortexbox PC.

Any suggestions?

garym
2012-08-15, 13:06
I've just tried installing the newer version of LMS sofware. I'd guessed that as Vortexbox has effectively converted the old desktop into a Linux based server that I should choose the Linux RPM from the dropdown. However when I try and do this windows (on the laptop I'm connecting to the LMS on) comes up with

"windows can't open this file

Logitechmediaserver-7.7.2-1........."

If I download the Windows Version of LMS it tries to install it on the laptop I'm connecting to the Vortexbox as opposed the Vortexbox PC.

Any suggestions?

Why are you not simply using the vortexbox update which will also update LMS to 7.7.2. Use the vb webgui. Or if you don't want to do this, see the vortexbox website FAQs or howtos on how to only install latest LMS.

MrClive
2012-08-15, 14:02
Thanks gary

After posting this I did try the vortexbox update but it didn't seem to update lms.

I logged in via using the vortexbox ip address if this is the same vb gui that you mentioned.

do I need to connect a keyboard and monitor as an alternative way of updating this? I can get one from work.

garym
2012-08-15, 14:10
Thanks gary

After posting this I did try the vortexbox update but it didn't seem to update lms.

I logged in via using the vortexbox ip address if this is the same vb gui that you mentioned.

do I need to connect a keyboard and monitor as an alternative way of updating this? I can get one from work.

Don't need monitor and keyboard. Can access command line on vb machine by using something like putty or cryptoterm from another computer on your network. Info on doing this at the vortexbox site and links to downloading these programs.

What version of vortexbox are you on? 2.1?

toby10
2012-08-16, 03:01
Or just leave it alone running 7.7.1 but don't switch players to MySB.com, no frequent updating/downgrading on the players.
LMS can do everything MySB.com can plus a lot more, no need to switch between them. ;)

MrClive
2012-08-16, 13:29
Thanks all for your help, i'll give the reloading the vb software a go.

I did a bit of a trial last playing music from different sources. spotify and Radio via mysb.com still buffered local music ok. (although only did it for a couple of hours).

Cheers

toby10
2012-08-17, 03:12

I did a bit of a trial last playing music from different sources. spotify and Radio via mysb.com still buffered local music ok. (although only did it for a couple of hours).

Cheers

Ok, so now try some internet streams while the player is connected to MySB.com (no local LMS) and do not use the software players.
Buffering still occur?

garym
2012-08-17, 04:34

Cheers

when you say "still buffered local music ok" do you mean that you were getting dropouts (rebuffering) or that it was playing ok WITHOUT dropouts and rebuffering?

toby10
2012-08-17, 04:50
I think he intended to have a comma in there. ;)
"spotify and Radio via mysb.com still buffered, local music ok"

garym
2012-08-17, 05:08
I think he intended to have a comma in there. ;)
"spotify and Radio via mysb.com still buffered, local music ok"

ahhhh, the power of a comma!!

MrClive
2012-08-17, 14:54
Cheers Toby....yes there should have been a comma in there:). yes, local stuff ok so far, and the stuff via mysb.com buffers. Sorry for the confussion
;)

garym
2012-08-17, 15:24
Cheers Toby....yes there should have been a comma in there:). yes, local stuff ok so far, and the stuff via mysb.com buffers. Sorry for the confussion
;)

Hmmm. LAN seems good but stuff from Internet buffers. Remind us of what sort of Internet provider/type you have.

toby10
2012-08-18, 02:08
;)

Still need more info...
Not using software players, correct? Just the Touch itself?
Connecting directly to MySB.com (no local server, server computer is OFF)? I assume so, but need to verify you are actually connecting directly to MySB.com.
Can you stream internet stations on your computer ok? NOT using LMS or SB software player, something like WMP, iTunes, WinAmp.
Sure ISP is not doing bandwidth limiting/shaping?

MrClive
2012-08-18, 13:05
Still need more info...
Not using software players, correct? Just the Touch itself?
Connecting directly to MySB.com (no local server, server computer is OFF)? I assume so, but need to verify you are actually connecting directly to MySB.com.
Can you stream internet stations on your computer ok? NOT using LMS or SB software player, something like WMP, iTunes, WinAmp.
Sure ISP is not doing bandwidth limiting/shaping?

Thanks for the reply

Correct, I'm not using software players.

I'm using both a SB Touch and SB Boom. I mainly use the devices playing individually on their own, not playing at the same time or synced and the problem occurs.

When I connect to directly to MySB.com I've noticed that this is when the buffering generally happens. The Server computer is off when this happens.

I'm using Virgin for broadband, I'm generally getting 24Meg down and 3 meg up, via a Super Hub. I'm not sure how to check limiting/ Shaping.

garym
2012-08-18, 13:11
Thanks for the reply

Correct, I'm not using software players.

I'm using both a SB Touch and SB Boom. I mainly use the devices playing individually on their own, not playing at the same time or synced and the problem occurs.

When I connect to directly to MySB.com I've noticed that this is when the buffering generally happens. The Server computer is off when this happens.

I'm using Virgin for broadband, I'm generally getting 24Meg down and 3 meg up, via a Super Hub. I'm not sure how to check limiting/ Shaping.

24 down and 3 up should be more than enough to stream with no buffering. I forget if you've tried connecting to a streaming radio station while you are connected to your local LMS rather than mysb.com. If not, try this.