Wireless networking problem, can any explain this to me...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • autopilot
    • Oct 2005

Wireless networking problem, can any explain this to me...

When it comes to networking, I have that 'dangerous' amount of knowledge - enough knowledge to set up something reasonably complicated, but not enough always knowledge to fix it when it goes wrong

What I have done is used a netgear access point to extended my wireless coverage but setting it up as a wireless bridge (with client association). Basically what I have read tells me this is better than repeater mode. Same SSID etc for seemless extension. Generally it works well, however when my iPhone is connected through the bridge it can not see my server (touch). Same problem with the logitech app. Can anyone tell me why, and how to fix it? Thanks.
    Cheers, auto.

Lounge: Squeezebox 3, Squeezebox Controller, Cambridge Audio 640A, Mission 701's Kitchen: Squeezebox Touch, Trends TA-10.1, Kef Cresta 1's. Bedroom: Squeezebox Boom Bathroom/Garden: Squeezebox Radio Car: iPod Classic 80GB Portable: iPhone 3GS 32Gb (+iPeng)
  • toby10
    • Jul 2007

Sure DHCP is turned off on the second router?

Comment

• autopilot
      • Oct 2005

Yes it's off.
      Cheers, auto.

Lounge: Squeezebox 3, Squeezebox Controller, Cambridge Audio 640A, Mission 701's Kitchen: Squeezebox Touch, Trends TA-10.1, Kef Cresta 1's. Bedroom: Squeezebox Boom Bathroom/Garden: Squeezebox Radio Car: iPod Classic 80GB Portable: iPhone 3GS 32Gb (+iPeng)

Comment

• Stratmangler
        • Oct 2008

Have you tried repeater mode?
        Chris :)

Comment

• pippin
          • Oct 2007

Do you use different subnets?
          ---
          learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
          Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
          at penguinlovesmusic.com
          New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

Comment

• autopilot
            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Stratmangler
            Have you tried repeater mode?
            Correct me if im wrong, but I was under the impression that repeater mode significantly reduces bandwidth of the overal wireless network, but wireless bridging mode has less effect of bandwidth. Also more reliable.
            Cheers, auto.

Comment

• autopilot
              • Oct 2005

Originally posted by pippin
              Do you use different subnets?
              Not sure, how would I check?
              Cheers, auto.

Comment

• pippin
                • Oct 2007

What IP address do devices on the new network get? Can you ping devices on the other branch? Can you e.g. open the server's web interface in the browser on your iPhone?
                ---
                learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
                Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
                at penguinlovesmusic.com
                New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

Comment

• autopilot
                  • Oct 2005

Originally posted by pippin
                  What IP address do devices on the new network get? Can you ping devices on the other branch? Can you e.g. open the server's web interface in the browser on your iPhone?
                  Yes, everything is on 192.168.1.1xx

I can open the main routers web interface from a device connected to AP acting as a bridge. I can also open the APs web interface with devices connected to the main router.
                  Cheers, auto.

Comment

• Stratmangler
                    • Oct 2008

Originally posted by autopilot
                    Correct me if im wrong, but I was under the impression that repeater mode significantly reduces bandwidth of the overal wireless network, but wireless bridging mode has less effect of bandwidth. Also more reliable.
                    From where I'm reading it's so reliable it isn't working

Comment

• Stratmangler
                      • Oct 2008

This any use?

Comment

• phycomp
                        • Aug 2012

Maybe try changing the wireless network channel?

Comment

• autopilot
                          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by phycomp
                          Maybe try changing the wireless network channel?
                          Thanks, already did (1 & 11). But it would not work as wireless bridges and repeaters need to be on the same channel as the router (as the router can not use 2 channels at the same time.
                          Cheers, auto.

Comment

• epoch1970
                            • Apr 2008

2 cts

I haven't played much with WDS and repeating but basically every time I tried I was frustrated due to poor reliability or compatibility issues (things would work without cypher and break with it, or the bridge would never reconnect after disconnect…)
                            Then recently I got a "range extender" that claimed compatibility with any router (and not use WDS). I had little hope but since it was cheap I got one. And the miracle happened: I was able to extend the network in minutes (WN2000RPT+WNDR3700 used as AP only --router is on another box).
                            I think the extender I got must use a different SSID (like your_ssid_EXT) but roaming with an iPhone and an iPad I haven't had *any* problem. And the Boom downstairs is much happier, too.
                            A real progress compared to the black magic of WDS, alternative firmwares and whatnot. Maybe you want to try this class of products.
                            Last edited by epoch1970; 2012-08-16, 13:19.
                            2 SB 3 • 1 PCP 7 • Libratone Loop, Zipp, Zipp Mini • iPeng (iPhone + iPad) • LMS 8.1 (docker) with plugins: CD Player, WaveInput by bpa • Material Skin by Craig Drummond • IRBlaster by Gwendesign (Felix) • Smart Mix, Music Walk With Me, What Was That Tune? by Michael Herger • PowerSave by Jason Holtzapple • Song Info, Song Lyrics by Erland Isaksson • BBC Sounds by Stuart McLean • AirPlay Bridge by philippe_44 • Auto Dim Display, SaverSwitcher, ContextMenu by Peter Watkins.

Comment

Working...