PDA

View Full Version : BBC / Unable to play file type on NAS.

pudding
2012-07-31, 11:52
Ive bought a Synology DS212j NAS and have just installed LMS on it. I have added the BBC app from mysqueezebox.com and have previously been using this on my players and LMS installed on my desktop. However, when trying to play BBC 1 now using the NAS as the server, I get 'unable to play file type for: BBC Radio 1'

How can I correct this? I cant seem to find any settings for it? Does some kind of codec need to be installed on the NAS to playback the BBC stream that I already have on my desktop?

Thanks.

bpa
2012-07-31, 12:16
What player are you using ?

The BBC streams are in WMA and if you were using a Windows desktop. LMS may have been transcoding for players that do not suport WMA such as Squeezeplay.

pudding
2012-07-31, 12:20
Spot on! I was testing it with Squeezeplay on my desktop as I was setting it up. Just tried the Boom in the kitchen and it played ok. So all the other players can playback WMA streams fine apart from squeezeplay? Why's that? Seems squeezeplay on my desktop is completely useless now then as all my listening is from BBC and Rhapsody/Napster.

bpa
2012-07-31, 12:31
So all the other players can playback WMA streams fine apart from squeezeplay? Why's that?

The softplayers have not got a licensed MS WMA decoder.

garym
2012-07-31, 13:08

keep in mind that squeezeplay is beta (and we're told always will be). It was created for some testing and never meant to be a consumer use product. Logitech is after all in the hardware business.... ;-)

aubuti
2012-07-31, 13:59
Would installing the PlayWMA plugin on the NAS running LMS work (assuming the NAS is compatible)? I'm guessing not, or else you would have mentioned it, but just wondering.

bpa
2012-07-31, 14:34
Would installing the PlayWMA plugin on the NAS running LMS work (assuming the NAS is compatible)? I'm guessing not, or else you would have mentioned it, but just wondering.

PlayWMA relies on mplayer and so the users needs a build of mplayer (or pssibly ffmpeg) suitable for the NAS and assuming the NAS has enough processing power to decode WMA and reencode the stream in realtime - I'm not sure since it has a 1.2Mhz RM processor with no FPU.

A better alternative might be the BBCiPlayer plugin and select to use the Flash/AAC stream as I think there is a fixed point version of faad for ARM.