PDA

View Full Version : transcoding ALAC to FLAC

dbinder101
2012-07-28, 11:51
I've gone thru the forum and wiki and still can't figure this out. I have a bunch of ALAC files from iTunes that I want to play thru my Touch and SB Radio. At first I received the "cannot open file" message and figured out that I need to do some sort of transcoding. So I installed LAME into the appropriate SB folder on my Windows 7 (64 bit) PC and then went into the "File Types" area and set up the Apple Lossless for Stream Format of MP3 and selected faad/lame. Went into the Player setting, "Audio" tab and set Bitrate Limiting to No Limit and LAME Quality Level to 9. This successfully transcoded to MP3 format on the Touch. However, I would really like to transcode to FLAC rather than MP3 and I cannot get it to work. Back in the File Types setting for Apple Lossless I have Stream Format of FLAC to use the Decoder of faad/sox (yes, I have faad.exe and sox.exe under the server/bin/MSWin32... folder) and the Stream Format of PCM to use faad Decoder. But no luck. What am I missing?

garym
2012-07-28, 11:57
I've gone thru the forum and wiki and still can't figure this out. I have a bunch of ALAC files from iTunes that I want to play thru my Touch and SB Radio. At first I received the "cannot open file" message and figured out that I need to do some sort of transcoding. So I installed LAME into the appropriate SB folder on my Windows 7 (64 bit) PC and then went into the "File Types" area and set up the Apple Lossless for Stream Format of MP3 and selected faad/lame. Went into the Player setting, "Audio" tab and set Bitrate Limiting to No Limit and LAME Quality Level to 9. This successfully transcoded to MP3 format on the Touch. However, I would really like to transcode to FLAC rather than MP3 and I cannot get it to work. Back in the File Types setting for Apple Lossless I have Stream Format of FLAC to use the Decoder of faad/sox (yes, I have faad.exe and sox.exe under the server/bin/MSWin32... folder) and the Stream Format of PCM to use faad Decoder. But no luck. What am I missing?

hmmm, the TOUCH (and maybe radio, not sure) should play ALAC files natively (no transcoding needed). Are these 16/44.1, 24/96, 24/192 or ???

garym
2012-07-28, 12:01
hmmm, the TOUCH (and maybe radio, not sure) should play ALAC files natively (no transcoding needed). Are these 16/44.1, 24/96, 24/192 or ???

or perhaps I'm wrong about this (I don't use ALAC). It may transcode, but I thought it should be done automatically with the default file type settings. Hopefully, an ALAC user can chime in....

in my defaults it shows:

apple lossless FLAC faad/sox
MP3 faad/lame
PCM faad

So it should take any ALAC file and send it to my players as a FLAC. What type of computer is running LMS on your end.

dbinder101
2012-07-28, 12:03

I think they are 16/44.1 - how can I find out for sure?

garym
2012-07-28, 12:05
I think they are 16/44.1 - how can I find out for sure?

in LMS playlist window, click on track, then track info will open up in left side pane. Can see all sorts of info about the track.

pippin
2012-07-28, 13:24
The Touch can play ALAC natively but I believe there is some kind of issue with it so it's disabled by default.
If you want to enable it you need to uncomment the "ALAC->native" section in the server's convert.conf file, then you'll get the option to play it natively in the settings.

dbinder101
2012-07-28, 14:58
The Touch can play ALAC natively but I believe there is some kind of issue with it so it's disabled by default.
If you want to enable it you need to uncomment the "ALAC->native" section in the server's convert.conf file, then you'll get the option to play it natively in the settings.

I uncommented the section as you advised, saw the additonal drop-down for Apple Loss Native Stream format, but it is still transcoding to MP3 (when I disabled the MP3 stream format, it again gave me the opening error). Also, the version of LMS I'm running is 7.7.2. and the files are indeed 16/44.1 type

I did see some previous threads concerning ALAC transcoding on 64 bit based Linux machines where they discussed some problems with the 64 bit libraries vs 32 bit libraries. Could this also be related for a 64 bit Windows 7 PC? Just a thought...