PDA

View Full Version : ReadyNAS NV+v2 - LMS without iTunes Server?

spinaltap
2012-07-16, 01:54
I currently own a ReadyNAS Duo v1...

...but am tempted by the huge price reduction on the ReadyNAS NV+v2 here in the UK (it's currently 160 - which is far less than I originally paid for my Duo v1).

However, unlike the Duo, there is no iTunes Server provision on the NV+v2.

My question is, without iTunes Server being present, is LMS sufficient to manage all my existing music when transferred to a NV+v2?

aubuti
2012-07-16, 03:44
My question is, without iTunes Server being present, is LMS sufficient to manage all my existing music when transferred to a NV+v2?
To stream your music to Squeezeboxes, yes, LMS alone is sufficient. But to manage your music library, no. LMS does not have any capabilities for ripping, editing tags, adding album art, etc.

But you don't have to use iTunes to do those tasks. There are plenty of other non-server software packages that can take care of those tasks nicely.

spinaltap
2012-07-16, 04:21
I already burn my music on my Mac Mini by utilising iTunes, but choose the 'media' folder on my ReadyNAS Duo v1 where I require the music to be stored. This is then accessed by my Squeezebox.

So, from what you indicate, the omission of iTunes Server on the ReadyNAS NV+v2 isn't a problem, as my music would continue to be stored in the 'media' folder of LMS.

Is that correct?

garym
2012-07-16, 05:21
I already burn my music on my Mac Mini by utilising iTunes, but choose the 'media' folder on my ReadyNAS Duo v1 where I require the music to be stored. This is then accessed by my Squeezebox.

So, from what you indicate, the omission of iTunes Server on the ReadyNAS NV+v2 isn't a problem, as my music would continue to be stored in the 'media' folder of LMS.

Is that correct?

correct. you don't need itunes on the readynas itself (or at all) for it to serve music to LMS.