PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox classic freezes

Hansvanderveeke
2012-07-07, 08:19
Hi,

I have a squeezebox classic for a few years now and I am very happy with.
Some time in te past I could no longer switch to the squeeze network on on my player.
Every time I do this, it either freezes or reboots.
I am running firmware version 55 on it.

I also use slim server as the music server. It runs on a ts-101 so an upgrade to the squeeze center software was advised against.

How can I make use of mysqueezebox.com on my device? Do I have to upgrade the firmware? How do I do this?

I apologize if I use the wrong forum. I could not find the classic forum.

I hope someone can help me.

Thanks very much!

Hans ( from Holland)

toby10
2012-07-07, 08:34
Could be that your SB3's firmware is so outdated it can no longer see or connect to the MySB.com online server, just a guess. Current SB3 firmware version is 137.
Maybe try installing the current LMS 7.7.2 release version on a different computer, connect SB3 to that LMS version, let it update, then try switching to MySB.com.
Basically just a quick diagnostic to see if the much older SB3 firmware is the issue.

When you connect the SB3 back to your SS server it should downgrade it back to version 55 for you.

Hansvanderveeke
2012-07-07, 10:04
Toby,

Thanks for the suggestion. Some questions come to mind.
Where can I find this software?
Is there no way to upgrade the firmware directly on the device?
And if this is the solution, what would be the next step? Can I upgrade my slimserver to this version although it runs on a TS-101?

Thanks,

Hans

garym
2012-07-07, 10:28
Toby,

Thanks for the suggestion. Some questions come to mind.
Where can I find this software?
Is there no way to upgrade the firmware directly on the device?
And if this is the solution, what would be the next step? Can I upgrade my slimserver to this version although it runs on a TS-101?

Thanks,

Hans

you can find all the SbS/LMS software here. download and install to computer running SbS/LMS. No clue about the TS 101.

http://downloads.slimdevices.com/

toby10
2012-07-08, 04:28
If your SB3 were able to connect to MySB.com that alone should update the SB3's firmware. But then every time you switch between your current version SS on your TS101 and MySB.com online the SB3 will need to be updated/downgraded. If your local server is the same as MySB.com (currently LMS 7.7.2) then no such updating will occur.

epoch1970
2012-07-08, 12:09
But then every time you switch between your current version SS on your TS101 and MySB.com online the SB3 will need to be updated/downgraded.
In practice I have been using SqueezeCenter 7.3.4 (old faithful) for quite a while, with firmwares I snitched from more recent releases of the server. The idea was to avoid the install/uninstall dance of firmwares. Worked fine, i never noticed any usability issue with my SB3s or Boom.

I too would rather recommend upgrading the server, esp. since SBS > 7.6.0 has done away with MySQL, which is good news for small computers.
But if you're stuck with an older release of the server, and have access to the system files on the NAS, you could try the hack of exchanging firmware files with newer ones.

This was mentioned in some threads on the forum, try a search If you're interested.

Hansvanderveeke
2012-07-09, 01:35
Thanks for the help and suggestions. I will take them in consideration.

Easyest would be putting the new firmware for the SB3 on the TS-101. I will try a search for that topic (Any hints, what to search for?) if I can find the SB3 firmware.

I will let you know how it works out but it may take some time. I am first on holiday and here in Europe it means I will be away for a month :-)

epoch1970
2012-07-09, 05:12
Well, I tried eating my own food and wasn't too successful in my search.
So here are some pointers.

Go to http://downloads.slimdevices.com/ and get the current server version, it has the current firmwares used by mysqueezebox.com servers. For example : "LogitechMediaServer_v7.7.2". There, choose to download the tgz version of the server, e.g. "logitechmediaserver-7.7.2.tgz".

Once downloaded and unpacked, go to the "Firmware" subdirectory. You'll see .version and .bin files, there. Copy the .version and .bin files that match your player types. "squeezebox" is for the original SB, "squeezebox2" is for SB 2 and 3 (this is what you want.)
In this specific case and for SB3, you'll want to copy 2 files: "squeezebox2_137.bin" and "squeezebox2.version"

Stop the SB server. On the machine that runs the server, locate the corresponding Firmware directory, and identify the ownership and rights attached to the files. On my debian linux machine, the firmware directory is under "/usr/share/squeezeboxserver/Firmware", YMMV (including variations with 'squeezecenter' or 'slimserver').
Make a backup of the Firmware directory. This is important.
Then replace the old files with the 2 new ones (to be exact: the new .bin file is added to the dir. the new .version file will overwrite the old one), make sure the server will be able to read and serve the new files by applying the correct ownership / rights.

Restart the server and voilą, some of your players should soon request uploading a new firmware. If the firmware download fails, make sure the new files have the correct rights.
If the server or the player behave abnormally, then there is a chance you're hitting some sort of incompatibility between the server and the firmware. In this case, roll back from the backup directory on the server. (For me I froze server version at 7.3.4 until 7.6.0 came out, and I never noticed any incompatibility with my SB3 or Boom players when using backported firmwares.)

Hansvanderveeke
2012-07-09, 05:16
Epoch1970,

Thanks a lot for the effort. I will surely try this and let you know how it works.

Cheers,

Hans

Hansvanderveeke
2012-07-10, 12:02
I could not resist it to look more into it but I found out that my knowledge about the TS-101 has evaporated.
I cannot find anymore how I logged into the server. I can see the 'normal' shares but I cannot login to the Debian (?) unix version.

Some help or links to information on howto would be appreciated. In the past I have done some linux work so I am still a bit familiar with it. I just need some pointers to get into the system.
Anyone?

Thanks!

Hans