PDA

View Full Version : Synchronizing stops playback

johnny b
2012-07-07, 07:25
I have one SB touch and two SB radio on which I run Spotify. I have never been able to play the same Spotify stream on all players synchronized. I have always assumed it has been because I have run on a 3G wireless network with insufficient capacity. However, now I moved to a new place with fiber connection and quite sufficient capacity in the network. Still, I can play maximum two players synchronized. When I add the the third one (via iPeng), everything stops and there is a message on my SB touch saying “awaiting synchronization”. When I shut one of the players off, playback is resumed. I have tried with a wireless connection as well as with the players connected to ethernet. When I just tested running a local radio stream on two players, the same problem occurred. Anyone out there with similar experience or a suggestion on what I can do?

foxx
2012-07-07, 07:41
Syncing should generally happen without any music playing. Also for stopping a sync all streams should rest.

garym
2012-07-07, 07:52
I have one SB touch and two SB radio on which I run Spotify. I have never been able to play the same Spotify stream on all players synchronized. I have always assumed it has been because I have run on a 3G wireless network with insufficient capacity. However, now I moved to a new place with fiber connection and quite sufficient capacity in the network. Still, I can play maximum two players synchronized. When I add the the third one (via iPeng), everything stops and there is a message on my SB touch saying “awaiting synchronization”. When I shut one of the players off, playback is resumed. I have tried with a wireless connection as well as with the players connected to ethernet. When I just tested running a local radio stream on two players, the same problem occurred. Anyone out there with similar experience or a suggestion on what I can do?

could be wrong, but I thought I read that one couldn't play spotify to more than one player unless using Triode's 3rd party spotify app. This *may* be your issue....

edit: scratch that, you obviously have two playing at the same time....

pippin
2012-07-07, 08:07
Are you using your own server or MySqueezebox.com directly?
I believe using MySB directly to sync might be problematic, maybe that's the reason for the issues?

BTW, joining streams while playing should not be an issue these days. It may take a few seconds until the streams sync up but then it should work.

johnny b
2012-07-07, 14:19
Are you using your own server or MySqueezebox.com directly?
I believe using MySB directly to sync might be problematic, maybe that's the reason for the issues?

BTW, joining streams while playing should not be an issue these days. It may take a few seconds until the streams sync up but then it should work.

I have two various set ups. One is with MySB.com and one is using the tiny server in the touch (in order to be able to play music also from my USB drive). When playing Spotify using MySB.com I get the problems desribed earlier. Twice I have managed to get all three players playing synched, but only for short periods of time. Once when synching the players to one of the radios instead of to the touch as I usuall to. When playing using the tiny server, all kinds of strange things happen. Sometimes I get the system to work with two players synched, but most of the time a message saying "Spotify connection error: No error" and the player skips to the next song, but without playing. Sometimes I get a message saying "unauthorised user name or password" when I add a second synched player, though being able to play on one player. Very often the music is playing visually on the player, but no sounds from it. Quite ofter one or more players are restarted after that I am trying to synch them. Right now there seem to be so many variables that I do not know where to start... One thing that I have noticed, that is separate from this particular problem, is that the Spotify app for SB seems to be very unreliable compared to the app I have for other units such as TV and phone. For example, very often I get the message that the particular song I am trying to play is not available in my region. But I have no problem playing it on my other units. Could it be the Spotify app for SB that causes the problems?

Also, I have not had any success when synching the players before hitting play.

Very confused right now...

garym
2012-07-07, 14:35
You are correct that many report similar issues with Logitech SB spotify app (independent of synching). Many prefer the triode plugin (which you cant run in your setup). I eventually switched to MOG and have no issues, synched or not, mysb.com or running local LMS. I don't use the builtin tinyLMS.

johnny b
2012-10-07, 05:00
According to a sales rep in a store that sells Sonos, the reason why I cannot play synchronized streams of Spotify on multiple players, is that Logitech does not have an agreement with Spotify to allow for more than one active stream at a time, since that would be as if one account would be used by many users. Sonos is the only company that has this agreement with Spotify. However, that does not make sense since I can play multiple streams on my players as long as the are not synched. What I have noticed is that the Logitech Spotify application leaves a lot to desire. I get very ofter the message that the tune I am trying to play is not available in my region. When I play the tune directly with Spotify, I have no problem. The availability of a tune should of course be the same regardless of on which device I chose to play it. It is sad that Logitech does not put more focus on this since this is how more and more music is consumed. Ultimately I think that market shares will be lost here...

pippin
2012-10-07, 05:06
You CAN play more than one stream at a time with a Squeezebox, forget the FUD Sonos is spreading.
It only works with the original SB "App", not with the 3rd party plugin, though, because the latter does use libspotify instead of Logitech's interface.

It (the 3rd party plugin) does, however, proxy the stream so that synced playback works.

johnny b
2012-10-07, 13:19
Aparently I can not use the 3rd party plugin with my set up. Does anyone know why Logitech is not fixing this "bug"? I like to play what I play on all my players so that I can continue listen as I walk from one room to the other. I would think I am not the only one. From what I understand you can do this with Sonos and I expected it to work also with SB.

garym
2012-10-07, 13:26
Aparently I can not use the 3rd party plugin with my set up. Does anyone know why Logitech is not fixing this "bug"? I like to play what I play on all my players so that I can continue listen as I walk from one room to the other. I would think I am not the only one. From what I understand you can do this with Sonos and I expected it to work also with SB.

Clarify why you can't use the 3rd party plugin. I was able to fully sync spotify across different players. But I've since changed to MOG.

johnny b
2012-10-08, 23:39
This was actually something that you mentioned earlier in the thread. Why, I don't know - just took it for fact. Anyway, I would expect Logitech to make sure that their own app works for this very general purpose? I do not see, however, that there are others having the same problem...

garym
2012-10-09, 04:20
This was actually something that you mentioned earlier in the thread. Why, I don't know - just took it for fact. Anyway, I would expect Logitech to make sure that their own app works for this very general purpose? I do not see, however, that there are others having the same problem...

ok, i see. you can't use 3rd party plugin because you're not running LMS on a local PC (you are instead using mysb.com or tinyLMS in the TOUCH. Can you install LMS on a PC (just for a test), install triode's 3rd party plugin, and then play spotify for a while and see if the problem goes away. this will help isolate the issue.

johnny b
2012-10-09, 22:09
ok, i see. you can't use 3rd party plugin because you're not running LMS on a local PC (you are instead using mysb.com or tinyLMS in the TOUCH. Can you install LMS on a PC (just for a test), install triode's 3rd party plugin, and then play spotify for a while and see if the problem goes away. this will help isolate the issue.

Will try this when I get a chance - thanks!

johnny b
2012-11-09, 10:06
Ok, finally came to install the 3rd party plug-in, and it works quite alright (some interruptions now and then) for synchronizing players and also the issues with "not available in your region" and "wrong username or password" and other issues seems to have disappeared. Very nice. Only problem is that I bought the players to avoid having a computer running, and this seems to be impossible due to the poor performance of the Logitech Spotify app. I must say it is surprising that a tech company like Logitech firstly can't create an app that works and secondly does not care more about their reputation than to fix the bugs they are aware of exist.

johnny b
2012-11-11, 06:34
Update - unfortunately the 3rd party plug-in does not work as well as I first assumed. Having used it for a couple of days, it can on average play approx 5 minutes before it stops playback...

My conclusion - If your intention is to play music from a USB hard drive - the touch works alright. Also the touch as well as the radio works fine for internet radio if you can live with a regular re-boot of the players. If your intention is to use the player for Spotify - I would recommend looking at another brand.

toby10
2012-11-11, 07:34
..... Also the touch as well as the radio works fine for internet radio if you can live with a regular re-boot of the players. If your intention is to use the player for Spotify - I would recommend looking at another brand.

You have some other network issues at play here. Regular player reboots are simply not needed for most users. I switch between MySB.com and Touch's inbuilt server and several other PC based instances of LMS. Never need to reboot players.

I don't use Spotify but it sure does seem lacking for Spotify usage. :(

garym
2012-11-11, 08:02
You have some other network issues at play here. Regular player reboots are simply not needed for most users. I switch between MySB.com and Touch's inbuilt server and several other PC based instances of LMS. Never need to reboot players.

I don't use Spotify but it sure does seem lacking for Spotify usage. :(

Agree. I have players that have been in use 3 years and have NEVER been rebooted other than firmware updates. I did switch to MOG from spotify as I found spotify to sometimes not work well.

johnny b
2012-11-11, 13:57
Ok, likely the reboot issues are linked to the Spotify issues. I have tried for so long to get it to work that I can no longer separate one issue from another...

Mnyb
2012-11-11, 18:44
Ok, likely the reboot issues are linked to the Spotify issues. I have tried for so long to get it to work that I can no longer separate one issue from another...

Was it not soo that logitechs spotify app ( green icon ) could make the radio reboot ?
Triodes app use an orange spotify icon btw if you have both installed they cooperate in some way . I'm unsure on exactly how this works.

I don't have logitechs spotify app installed at all it is not necessary when you have triodes app/plugin (unless you wan't to turn of the server ).

But if you have both I suggest using the orange spotify icon .

I don't have sync problems , in general if one player in a sync group has network problems it could get unstable.