PDA

View Full Version : MOG or Spotify: Is one better than the other for Squeezebox?

GeeJay
2012-06-14, 20:24
I've been considering a subscription to one of these services, but I can't find any threads in this forum or anywhere else comparing the two with respect to the Squeezebox experience. Are there material differences?

garym
2012-06-15, 06:53
I've been considering a subscription to one of these services, but I can't find any threads in this forum or anywhere else comparing the two with respect to the Squeezebox experience. Are there material differences?

I started with spotify then moved to MOG. the logitech app for spotify only works on Touch and Radio. there is a great 3rd party Triode Spotify plugin that will allow it to work for other SB players. The 4.99 MOG version will work with all your SB players (either you local LMS or mysqueezebox.com). for spotify you need the 9.99 version. For me, the music selection is about the same and usability is about the same.

Here are some threads:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?94978-2012-Best-Current-Online-Streaming-music-sources-and-radio&highlight=which+music+service
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?89244-What-music-services-do-you-subscribe-to/page5&highlight=which+music+service

fuzzyT
2012-06-15, 07:42
I don't have experience with trying to use Spotify on SB, but I do love
having a MOG subscription. Sound quality is great and it works well
with my SBs.

ddewey
2012-06-15, 13:47
Quoting Ron Thigpen (ron (AT) fuzzsonic (DOT) com):

> I don't have experience with trying to use Spotify on SB, but I do love
> having a MOG subscription. Sound quality is great and it works well
> with my SBs.

Same here except with Spotify. My only complaint with using Spotify
is the restriction to one user at a time (Spotify restriction, not
SBS). it's common for two of my kids to try to use Spotify at once,
and one gets kicked off.

GeeJay
2012-06-15, 21:52
Does the "one user at a time" limit for Spotify extend to multiple synced devices? Does MOG have the same limitation?

Thanks for the responses and thread links. I must not have gone deep enough in my search results to find either thread.

Mnyb
2012-06-16, 00:46
Does the "one user at a time" limit for Spotify extend to multiple synced devices? Does MOG have the same limitation?

Thanks for the responses and thread links. I must not have gone deep enough in my search results to find either thread.

Sync 3 players is fine at least with Triodes plugin ( I don’t use the official one it has a region bug that makes it annoying , it pretty often turns up songs that can't be played in your region ) .

I synced two Touchs and one BOOM

garym
2012-06-16, 05:30

MOG does not have this limit. I just tested to be sure. I played one MOG song to a TOUCH and RADIO that were synched together and then separately played a DIFFERENT MOG song to my BOOM.

aubuti
2012-06-18, 22:05
I tried Spotify for a few months and didn't like its interface with SBs. Too hard to save albums or artists to a "library" or "favorites", whereas in MOG it is very straightforward. And with MOG at half the price it was an easy choice for me. People who are really into the social music media scene may prefer Spotify because of the ease of sharing playlists and so forth, but for me Spotify on the SB system was just to clunky.

brucegrr
2012-06-19, 17:19
MOG has no device limit. Spotify does. As long as Spotify has a device limit it is a no-go for our home. Too many users in our home. We would have a war :)

paulster
2012-06-19, 23:22
MOG is great. It's really hard to argue against their $4.99 pricing, breadth of catalogue, and the fact that they have a large chunk of it available in 320kbps format MP3.

I've bought a whole load more music since I started my subscription.

Oh, and their support is great too. And you can stream to multiple devices independently, as has already been mentioned here!

esbrewer
2012-06-22, 07:18
Both services work well overall in my experience.

Like a few folks here I started with Spotify but moved over to MOG for the lower cost and higher bitrates.

Since using MOG I have experienced three episodes where individual tracks in all playlists repeat many times - rather annoying. In each instance I posted on the MOG support forum, received a prompt reply that this was a known issue, and the problem was usually corrected within 48 hours. I did not experiences any technical issues with Spotify.

But its really hard to complain given the virtually unlimited access to a wide range of music for a few dollars a month. It almost feels like stealing.

aubuti
2012-06-22, 08:24
I forgot to mention in my earlier post that most of these services offer limited free trial periods, anywhere from 7 days to 1 month, depending on the ebb and flow of trying to lure new users. My advice is to try them and decide for yourself. And if you're not sure after the free trial, go ahead with a paid subscription for another month or two. I think they all let you pay month-by-month, so you won't have to commit to more than 5 or 10 [insert appropriate currency here] at a time.

And if Rhapsody is available in your area, that may be worth a try as well.

danc27
2012-06-29, 06:06
I think if you plan on using it on devices other than Squeezebox, Spotify is the way to go. MOG's desktop apps/web apps aren't that good in my opinion. Their libraries are very similar.