PDA

View Full Version : Ethernet appears disconnected

GreenSloth
2012-06-10, 09:18
Hi all

I had a power interruption yesterday and since then my Squeezebox 3 (aka Classic) won't connect to the wireless network. On restarting it came up with 'Ethernet appears disconnected. Please check your network connection' after the network set up prompt. I've tried many factory resets, and restarted the router in various permutations. It works fine on a wired connection, but seems to have completely forgotten that it can connect wirelessly.

I then thought of the firmware, and found that my server software was out of date (7.6.1), so have updated that to the latest (7.7.2) - I then forced a firmware update using the brightness button. The player says that the firmware version is 137 - the same as before I did the firmware update.

I have had this problem a couple of times before, but have always found a way around it though annoyingly I can't remember how I did it!

Any advice would be extremely welcome, as I am out of ideas.

MTIA
Jof

epoch1970
2012-06-10, 11:02
FW 137 came with 7.6.0 and has not changed since.
http://svn.slimdevices.com/repos/slim/7.7/tags/7.7.2/server/Changelog7.html

Are you sure the wifi router does not lock out clients based on MAC address ?
A shot in the dark: try changing (temporarily) the channel used by the wifi router ?

toby10
2012-06-11, 03:40
Try pressing & holding the BACK (left) arrow, this will put the SB3 in Setup mode. Scroll to Network Setup, select Wireless.

If it isn't offering Wireless as an option then possibly it's WiFi board is fried or disconnected.

GreenSloth
2012-06-11, 12:53
FW 137 came with 7.6.0 and has not changed since.
http://svn.slimdevices.com/repos/slim/7.7/tags/7.7.2/server/Changelog7.html

Are you sure the wifi router does not lock out clients based on MAC address ?
A shot in the dark: try changing (temporarily) the channel used by the wifi router ?

Thanks - I've never used MAC address filtering as I read it added no significant security, just pain. I'll have a go with the channel though, it's worth a try.

GreenSloth
2012-06-11, 13:04
Try pressing & holding the BACK (left) arrow, this will put the SB3 in Setup mode. Scroll to Network Setup, select Wireless.

If it isn't offering Wireless as an option then possibly it's WiFi board is fried or disconnected.

If I start it with the Ethernet cable in doing a factory reset by pressing the Add button, I get to choose the language, then 'Set up networking', going right on this goes onto Obtain IP automatically...so that's passed or skipped the option to select Wireless?

Then using the BACK (left) button as you say suggest takes me through the same sequence, with no wireless option.

I can see that a power interruption could damage, but not displace the WiFi board...I hope not though :-(

Thanks for the advice

GreenSloth
2012-06-12, 12:33
I opened it up and reseated the wifi card. All working again now :-)

Many thanks for your advice and help.