PDA

View Full Version : Guide to Port Forwarding?

brendonwp
2012-06-10, 08:48
Hi all

I'm looking for a howto guide on port forwarding. I have LMS set up under FreeNAS using SlimNAS. SlimNAS says that I can access LMS at http://192.168.1.101:9000/ but my SB Touch only allows me to enter the URL but not the port. It sees FreeNAS but not LMS.

So from other posts I gather that I need to set up port forwarding:
http://forums.logitech.com/t5/MySqueezebox-com-Squeezebox/SB-Radio-cannot-connect-to-SB-Server-on-Windows-Vista7-Laptop/m-p/714976

My Billion router has a a number of open fields like internal port, external port, and internal IP address that I'm not sure how to set up.

Thanks
Brendon

alZmtbr
2012-06-10, 10:59
Hi all

I'm looking for a howto guide on port forwarding. I have LMS set up under FreeNAS using SlimNAS. SlimNAS says that I can access LMS at http://192.168.1.101:9000/ but my SB Touch only allows me to enter the URL but not the port. It sees FreeNAS but not LMS.

http://forums.logitech.com/t5/MySqueezebox-com-Squeezebox/SB-Radio-cannot-connect-to-SB-Server-on-Windows-Vista7-Laptop/m-p/714976

My Billion router has a a number of open fields like internal port, external port, and internal IP address that I'm not sure how to set up.

Thanks
Brendon

You only need to set up Port Forwarding on your router IF your SB Touch is on another network, over the Internet. Is this the case? So to do Port Forwarding you need to specify the IP Addr of the LMS (your Free NAS) and the Port (9000). If your router recieves an HTML query addressed to port 9000, it will then Forward the request to your FreeNAS on Port 9000.

If your Touch is on your own subnet, then you may have to run through the setup again - as it should find the LMS on it's own.

HTH! Cheers!
Allan

JJZolx
2012-06-10, 11:26
What is the actual problem that you're having? If there's a port conflict on the server (because some other program is using port 9000), you can change the port on which the web interface listens from 9000 to something else, but that's not called port forwarding.

brendonwp
2012-06-11, 03:24
@al and jj: the SB Touch is on an internal network so I now know that port forwarding is not relevant, thanks.

I can connect to my freenas server (added IP under settings/advanced/networking/remote libraries) but 'my music' has no entries.

Is there a specific directory that LMS scans for music files? ATM they are folders at the same level as LMS. I have restarted LMS on the server and forced a rescan from the SBT with no effect.

toby10
2012-06-11, 04:01
LMS > Settings > Basic Settings > Music Folder > Browse, here you can select where LMS is to look for your Music folder.

brendonwp
2012-06-11, 05:00
@Toby - I've tried to look on the web interface to the LMS and can't login despite having a mysqueezebox account.

I looked at my logs, and the LMS can't access mysqueezebox.com. My FreeNAS is running in a virtual machine, on bridged networking (Virtualbox) that I thought would allow it.

Update: Apparently there is an IP address conflict on the network. Will change the FreeNAS IP and see if this fixes things.

toby10
2012-06-11, 05:13
Logging into LMS server is unrelated to MySqueezeBox.com login, two completely different servers.

brendonwp
2012-06-11, 05:46
These are my steps:

I log into my freenas server on port 9000 to access LMS (http://192.168.1.111:9000 - have changed IP address to avoid conflict)
LMS prompts me to enter mysqueezebox.com email and password (http://192.168.1.111:9000/settings/server/wizard.html)
I get "Invalid mysqueezebox.com username or password."
I list my server.log and the only errors I see are related to not being able to connect to mysqueezebox.com

toby10
2012-06-11, 06:32
Likely that your NAS is not seeing the internet, therefore LMS cannot see MySB.com so it thinks you don't have an account.

Try stopping then restarting just LMS on the NAS, see if that clears the issue. If not, try accessing a web page via the NAS.

banned for life
2012-06-11, 16:14
Hi all

Thanks
Brendon

"Port forwarding, aka NAT redirection" is only needed to get to your music from the "outside" (on the internet) world.

Your NAS must have a "gateway" address to be able to get out of your local network to the internet.

If your pc is winders:

open a 'command box' and use the command ipconfig to get the gateway address that works for your pc

If you pc is linux/mac:

open a 'console" and use the command ifconfig to get the gateware address that works for your pc

Either way, you must tell your NAS the "gateway" address. If the NAS balks at that address being entered, see below.

If you are on DSL and have a router also, only one of them should have DHCP enabled. The same is true if you have more than one router.

bfl

brendonwp
2012-06-11, 22:38
@toby - I can ping from FreeNAS shell to the router but not beyond the network. Restarting LMS doesn't change this. So it does look like it could be that the gateway address needs to be set.

@bfl: thanks, will follow this up. My router does DHCP and all the machines take their addresses from it, except the FreeNAS/LMS server which is on a static IP.

Cool handle btw :)

Edit: I changed the gateway setting to my router's IP address on FreeNAS, but no improvement. Anyway, my Proliant Microserver has arrived at last and I'm going to try installing on there rather than carry on wrestling with a VM.

Thanks all for the advice!

toby10
2012-06-12, 03:02
@toby - I can ping from FreeNAS shell to the router but not beyond the network. Restarting LMS doesn't change this....

Yeah, the NAS not seeing the internet would indeed be a problem. ;)

Correct, re-booting LMS will not solve that, but it's a quick way to solve another common NAS networking issue that is much easier to resolve by a simple LMS re-boot. NAS boots can be very slow and often other programs like LMS auto-startup before the NAS has completely booted. In these cases LMS is not given the proper networking protocols by the NAS because the NAS has not fully resolved networking itself do to it's slow bootup. A simple LMS re-boot resolves it. If your NAS is not seeing the internet at all, that is a whole other can of worms. ;)

Mnyb
2012-06-12, 04:10
@toby - I can ping from FreeNAS shell to the router but not beyond the network. Restarting LMS doesn't change this. So it does look like it could be that the gateway address needs to be set.

@bfl: thanks, will follow this up. My router does DHCP and all the machines take their addresses from it, except the FreeNAS/LMS server which is on a static IP.

Edit: I changed the gateway setting to my router's IP address on FreeNAS, but no improvement. Anyway, my Proliant Microserver has arrived at last and I'm going to try installing on there rather than carry on wrestling with a VM.

Or a missing DNS setting in the NAS for example ?

banned for life
2012-06-12, 15:53
Or a missing DNS setting in the NAS for example ?

+1

Handy to remember: Google public DNS servers are 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

They tend to be speedy as well.

bfl

banned for life
2012-06-12, 16:03

I didn't know you were running in a VM. This is actually better, depending on what VM manager you are using. I use VMWare WS and it is a thing of beauty but I had issues with virtualbox. In VMWare, set the network adapter to bridged.

Of course, I am using Vortexbox in the VM. It just does not get any easier. Set the VM network adapter as above, reboot, and then use the web interface to vortexbox to static the address. A word of advice: vortexbox is a little stupid when your VM is not on eth0..

I had to set the memory to satisfy vortexbox for install but afterward I set it to 512MB and performance is stellar.

bfl