PDA

View Full Version : Dying Classics?

plympton
2012-06-08, 14:15
Is there any way to get a log of the HARDWARE on a Classic?

I have 2 classics that periodically die (blank screen, essentially they crash). I know it COULD be the WIFI card, but would like pointers on what else it could be. WIFI signal strength is good, and it's not a change to the server.

Anyone?

Any source for WIFI cards if it is that? I can't really use these wired in my current configuration, and getting touches won't work because they're synced (and syncing has never really been nailed with SqueezeOS devices)

Thanks!
-Dan

toby10
2012-06-09, 01:33
Try just re-seating the WiFi cards? Maybe the PSU's are the issue? Loose power connection into SB3?

PowerLine adapters may make more sense than buying replacement SB3 WiFi cards.

epoch1970
2012-06-09, 09:33
Loose power connection into SB3?
I have 1 unit that will reboot if I slightly move the power cable. It came out of the box recently, I guess it was just built that way.
I also have a buddy who tells me his Logitech Classic did the same from day one.
So it's not uncommon, but 2 out of 2 in the OP's case seems a bit unlucky.

I'd suspect wifi or some TCP issue. I never used it but I think the SB3 will serve as a wifi bridge (with older firmwares ?). If so you could hook a PC to a player and perhaps understand what happens ?

toby10
2012-06-10, 03:39
I have 1 unit that will reboot if I slightly move the power cable. It came out of the box recently, I guess it was just built that way.
I also have a buddy who tells me his Logitech Classic did the same from day one.
So it's not uncommon, but 2 out of 2 in the OP's case seems a bit unlucky......

Yeah, must have been different builds of the SB3 as many say the power input is easily wiggled to cause a reboot while others say it is a very snug fit and cannot be wiggled to cause reboot. Luckily I'm in the latter category. :)

plympton
2012-06-10, 13:21
Try just re-seating the WiFi cards? Maybe the PSU's are the issue? Loose power connection into SB3?

PowerLine adapters may make more sense than buying replacement SB3 WiFi cards.

Just reseated the wifi card and daughterboard and still died a day later. Just did the reprogram xlinix and rbooted just for grins. After this I'll get a wifi bridge going and pull the wifi card to see if that helps. It's mainly a superdatetime weather display these days, but I'd still like to use it as a sb some days...

plympton
2012-06-10, 13:26
Not a loose connector, unfortunately. No amount of wiggle will get it to reboot. I wish it was that, easy fix, as it'd most likely be a Cold solder joint. These were used units I got locally, so I can't vouch for how they were stored.

I wonder if some of the components on Sb3's have an... Expiration date of sorts. My old thinkpad had a cap or flash chip that failed after 5 years or so, and then I started hearing about other similar failures of the same vintage.

I'd gladly get other used unit, but worry about a latent failure like above. Touches and radios are out of the question since they don't sync well, and overkill for I need...

aubuti
2012-06-10, 13:34
Touches and radios are out of the question since they don't sync well...
Huh? In my experience the Touch and Radio sync just as well as the IP3K-based models. I've seen a couple reports of sync problems, but none that conclusively pinned it down to the newer SB models.

plympton
2012-06-10, 19:13
I will admit that my knowledge is probably a little out of date but when I had a touch when they originally came out it would not sync with my classic ever. If that's not the case then touch here I come... Again! :-)

aubuti
2012-06-10, 20:19
It sounds as if you had some issues with your system then, and there's no guarantee you won't have them again. But it hasn't been a general issue of sync'ing Touches by any means.

widman
2012-06-11, 08:54
This thread has information on wifi cards supported by the SB3:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?78498-Squeezebox-claccic-v3-doesn-t-start-up&highlight=WN560G

Regards,
pete

plympton
2012-06-11, 09:16
It sounds as if you had some issues with your system then, and there's no guarantee you won't have them again. But it hasn't been a general issue of sync'ing Touches by any means.

You are probably right and I'm misremembering - I had a problem with *A* streaming station (the one I use 50% of the time, however), and Sync between a SB2 & a Touch.
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?80046-tweak-Sync-settings-per-*STREAM*
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?78826-OPB-org-stream-keeps-rebuffering

No way to test if that's still happening, it'd be a bummer if it still was. I believe the source-stream did some non-standard encoding, or used a CODEC in a way that was unexpected.

-Dan

plympton
2012-06-11, 09:33
This thread has information on wifi cards supported by the SB3:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?78498-Squeezebox-claccic-v3-doesn-t-start-up&highlight=WN560G

Regards,
pete

Good thread - I might pick up a few cards as spares to keep around. WIFI equipment has a tendency of failing after a few years for some reason, it's just not very reliable stuff (You say? When produced at the absolutely lowest-cost possible!?!?).

Reprogrammed the Xilinx thing (microcontroller?), and appears to still be working fine. I've seen it randomly reboot previously, however, so I'm thinking a new WIFI card might be in order anyway. $7, WTH.

plympton
2012-07-02, 09:47
Good thread - I might pick up a few cards as spares to keep around. WIFI equipment has a tendency of failing after a few years for some reason, it's just not very reliable stuff (You say? When produced at the absolutely lowest-cost possible!?!?).

Reprogrammed the Xilinx thing (microcontroller?), and appears to still be working fine. I've seen it randomly reboot previously, however, so I'm thinking a new WIFI card might be in order anyway. $7, WTH.

... buy some spare Wi-Fi cards!! :-) After I reprogrammed the Xilinx, I simultaneously ordered a few cards off eBay (cheap enough insurance), they arrived, but haven't had a problem since the reprogramming.

Anyone need a Wi-Fi card cheap? :-)