PDA

View Full Version : Using a venues multiple node wifi network ?

sto
2012-05-25, 03:49
Hi All

My collection of Receivers will be getting an outing to a wedding, my wedding in fact !

The venue we're using is effectively like a large house will have guests spread over several rooms. The plan is to create a house party like environment. The Receivers will be used to provide sync'd music at low(ish) volumes at various locations rather than one sound source blaring away in one location.

I was originally thinking that I'd just pre-configure the SB server and receivers to a spare wifi router I've got spare and use that. But yesterday the manager offered me use of the network installation they've already got. The setup seems to be competent, with good coverage using three or four access points on different channels.

Using a setup with known coverage obviously has it's advantages but I'd test the range of my wifi router in advance so in theory should be able to put it somewhere that gives me what I'm after.

It would obviously be easier using their stuff though, what are the implications if I do that ?

Thanks

garym
2012-05-25, 04:52
Does the venue's WIFI require a login page to get access (even if it is simply agreeing to the terms). This can sometimes create a problem (because you can't "login" to the WIFI network from the receivers like you can from a laptop. Search these forums for "squeezebox use in hotel room" or "radio use in hotel room"

Mnyb
2012-05-25, 10:47
otherwise it should work if the whole network is on the same network and subnet , well it could work in more complicated circumstances if one as some networking skills and other geek powers .

But Garys piont is a concern many free network have such limits and could have others like strict firewalls , all UDP ports blocked or similar .

But why not try in advance ? but not during the stag party the nigth before :)

sto
2012-05-29, 02:08
otherwise it should work if the whole network is on the same network and subnet , well it could work in more complicated circumstances if one as some networking skills and other geek powers .

But Garys piont is a concern many free network have such limits and could have others like strict firewalls , all UDP ports blocked or similar .

Well I do have a little bit of geek power but the last thing I want to do on wedding day is spend hours messing around with networks settings :-)

The point about having to log in is a good one as it the one about certain traffic restrictions.

We're visiting the venue on Saturday so I'll take some kit with me to perform some experiments. Ideally I can just plug in my router and get the range I need but seeing as it's an old house with 1m thick wall that might be a bit hopeful.

I'll report back next week.

Thanks

garym
2012-05-29, 03:49
Well I do have a little bit of geek power but the last thing I want to do on wedding day is spend hours messing around with networks settings :-)

The point about having to log in is a good one as it the one about certain traffic restrictions.

We're visiting the venue on Saturday so I'll take some kit with me to perform some experiments. Ideally I can just plug in my router and get the range I need but seeing as it's an old house with 1m thick wall that might be a bit hopeful.

I'll report back next week.

Thanks

does the venue have a sound system throughout the place. If so, load up the songs you want on an ipod, connect ipod to the venue's sound system, and be done with it. In my opinion, you're asking for extra problems and stress to use the SB stuff in a temporary location. It certainly can work. But if something goes wrong, you'll have a party with no music. Doesn't sound good, and you need at least a plan B.

andynormancx
2012-05-29, 04:01

I did the same thing when we hired a big house for our 10th wedding anniversary. I went expecting wifi to be a problem, given that the house was large and the interior walls thick.

So wasn't surprised when my single wifi access point didn't work out and I quickly reverted to plan B. Plan B was a set of 200mb/s Devolo ethernet over powerline adapters, which worked very well.

sto
2012-05-29, 04:16
does the venue have a sound system throughout the place. If so, load up the songs you want on an ipod, connect ipod to the venue's sound system, and be done with it.

The venue doesn't have anything unfortunately, well apart from a basic IPod dock.

My main requirement is, as there's multiple rooms involved, to have lots of sources of the same music playing in sync at low to medium volumes. Trailing wires is not an option nor ideally is blaring music out from just one source/room.

Plan A would be use my router; simple setup, plug and play.

Plan B use their wifi; proven venue wide coverage

Plan C use powerline adapters; I need to buy them though, quite expensive for a back up plan

Plan D use an Ipod/Adroid device; would only work in one room

I already have active speakers to be paired up with my receivers.

garym
2012-05-29, 04:20
The venue doesn't have anything unfortunately, well apart from a basic IPod dock.

My main requirement is, as there's multiple rooms involved, to have lots of sources of the same music playing in sync at low to medium volumes. Trailing wires is nor ideally is blaring music out from just one source/room.

Plan A would be use my router; simple setup, plug and play.

Plan B use their wifi; proven venue wide coverage

Plan C use powerline adapters; I need to buy them though, quite expensive for a back up plan

Plan D use an Ipod/Adroid device; would only work in one room

I already have active speakers to paired up with my receivers.

good plans!