PDA

View Full Version : itunes match and flac files

nervoteso
2012-05-02, 06:50
hi,

could itunes mach be a good way to listen to flac files (stored in my nas qnap) by 3g cllular network? i can't seem to do that by ipeng!
has anyone tried this service?

Jeff Flowerday
2012-05-02, 07:09
hi,

could itunes mach be a good way to listen to flac files (stored in my nas qnap) by 3g cllular network? i can't seem to do that by ipeng!

itunes doesn't support flac.

flac via 3g cellular isn't going to work stable unless you have the best 3g in the world. Install lame and have your server transcode to mp3.

nervoteso
2012-05-02, 15:07
itunes doesn't support flac.

flac via 3g cellular isn't going to work stable unless you have the best 3g in the world. Install lame and have your server transcode to mp3.

lms is installed on nas qnap, i've set lower mp3 bitrate for transcoding on ipeng but it doesn't work.

aubuti
2012-05-02, 15:33
Do you have LAME installed on the QNAP?

nervoteso
2012-05-02, 15:47
i don't know, is there a plugin to install lame? if i go to file type i can see these settings:

FLAC AIFF flac
FLAC native
MP3 flac/lame
PCM flac

aubuti
2012-05-03, 03:22
If you don't know then it probably isn't installed. I'm not aware of a plugin for installing LAME -- you just have to install it. How you do that on a QNAP I don't have a clue. Do you have root/superuser access on the command line?

As for LAME itself, see http://lame.sourceforge.net/ .

epoch1970
2012-05-03, 03:35
hi,

iTunes Match (iCloud in general) does not do streaming. It lets you *download files* to your device, then play them. You fill up local storage, but bandwidth limitations are no longer an issue when you are listening to the music.

I don't think I have particularly esoteric tastes in music. iTunes Match hit rate for me is around 75% or 80%. I have yet to hear a false positive. Sometimes it will leave out a single song unmatched out of an otherwise fully matched album, which is a bit strange. But overall I think it is not too bad.