PDA

View Full Version : Bluetooth messes up Squeezebox reception

rbl
2012-04-23, 03:35
I currently have SqueezeServer running on my laptop which connects wirelessly to the router, which then connects wirelessly to the SB3, which generally works very well. The problem is that when I turn the laptop's bluetooth on, there is clearly some interference, even if I don't use it as such. The display on the SB3 stutters, becomes unresponsive, and sometimes the music drops out too. Is there anything I can do? I have a G type router, not N.

Soulkeeper
2012-04-23, 03:40
You can try enabling BT compatibility mode on the wireless router (if your router model has such a setting).

toby10
2012-04-23, 03:43
I'd temporarily try the laptop wired, turn off it's Wi-Fi, see if that clears it up. I'd guess the laptop's BlueTooth is either interfering with the laptops WiFi or the laptop cannot process both wireless features simultaneously without struggling with CPU and resources.

rbl
2012-04-23, 03:53
You can try enabling BT compatibility mode on the wireless router (if your router model has such a setting).

Sounds promising but I can't find it in my routers' config, or the user manual. Out of interest, do you have any idea what such a setting actually does?

routehero
2012-04-23, 04:05
Sounds promising but I can't find it in my routers' config, or the user manual. Out of interest, do you have any idea what such a setting actually does?

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Advanced_wireless_settings#Bluetooth_Coexistence_M ode

Wireless interference is a tricky problem and in my experience, this setting is more of a placebo than anything else. YMMV. Your current router may or may not support DD-WRT, as well.

You may also want to survey the wireless APs in your area with inSSIDer, wifi analyzer (android), etc, to see if there is potentially a better channel for use on your AP as well.

pippin
2012-04-23, 05:08
Bluetooth generally has a WIFi interference problem, some Bluetooth transceivers are able to bring down whole WiFi networks if placed at the wrong point.
Try to turn Bluetooth off or to get a router that can cope with it better, it's as bad as that.

virgiliomi
2012-04-23, 06:37
The short answer is that WiFi and Bluetooth both operate in the same chunk of 2.4GHz spectrum. When you try to use both, there will likely be interference.

- Try selecting a different WiFi channel... some Bluetooth devices work within a small subset of the 2.4GHz spectrum. Try picking a different WiFi channel on your router/access point and see if that helps.

- Don't use both together... Some laptops have chipsets in them that support both Bluetooth and WiFi on the same antenna. Great for saving space and making a smaller device... not great for actually trying to use both WiFi and Bluetooth at the same time. Any chance you can run the laptop wired on your network instead of wireless? Wireless makes it easy... wired makes it more reliable, and may also be faster.

pippin
2012-04-23, 07:10
- Don't use both together... Some laptops have chipsets in them that support both Bluetooth and WiFi on the same antenna. Great for saving space and making a smaller device... not great for actually trying to use both WiFi and Bluetooth at the same time. Any chance you can run the laptop wired on your network instead of wireless? Wireless makes it easy... wired makes it more reliable, and may also be faster.

actually if it's a somewhat decently designed antenna it's just the other way around.
If you use both WiFi and Bluetooth on the same antenna, the antenna electronics (yes, active antennas are all electronics) knows both signals and can separate them plus the chipsets can chose to avoid bands that are too close together, something that should always be possible with Bluetooth.

With two antennas using the same (or close) band next to each other you have almost no chance to avoid interference.

So it helps to use a combined chipset and especially to use a combined antenna.

Rotten bad designs set aside, of course....