PDA

View Full Version : Using Squeezeboxes without broadband connection



gruntwolla
2012-04-23, 03:05
Hi folks,
We currently use Virgin media cable services for our land line,broadband and TV package, and much of what we are paying for is becoming increasingly expensive and irrelevant. We hardly ever use the land line, most of what we watch on TV is available via Freeview/Freesat etc, and we can easily access the internet via 3G on our smartphones, or on the ipad. I can also create a wifi hotspot on my phone if needed.

If we were to end our contract with Virgin, how much would this affect our Squeezebox experience? My mysql account is registered with a gmail address, rather than the cable company, so that would remain unaffected. 90% of the time we listen to music from my library, the other 10% is streaming via Napster ( Rhapsody)


Has anybody else here gone down this route? I love my Squeezeboxes, but resent paying the cable company so much each month just to occasionally access theSqueezebox webui.

Regards,
Trev

garym
2012-04-23, 04:11
Hi folks,
We currently use Virgin media cable services for our land line,broadband and TV package, and much of what we are paying for is becoming increasingly expensive and irrelevant. We hardly ever use the land line, most of what we watch on TV is available via Freeview/Freesat etc, and we can easily access the internet via 3G on our smartphones, or on the ipad. I can also create a wifi hotspot on my phone if needed.

If we were to end our contract with Virgin, how much would this affect our Squeezebox experience? My mysql account is registered with a gmail address, rather than the cable company, so that would remain unaffected. 90% of the time we listen to music from my library, the other 10% is streaming via Napster ( Rhapsody)


Has anybody else here gone down this route? I love my Squeezeboxes, but resent paying the cable company so much each month just to occasionally access theSqueezebox webui.

Regards,
Trev


you can still have a local wired & wifi network even without any internet provider (you just need a router). With this, you'd see your LMS webGUI for controlling your SB players (or be able to control them with smart phone & app. Since you listen to your own music 90% of the time, you'd be good to go with this setup. Now, with regard to trying to listen to Rhapsody via your SB, this might be a problem. Might work, might not work well, and will certainly use a lot of bandwidth when streaming.

gruntwolla
2012-04-23, 08:01
you can still have a local wired & wifi network even without any internet provider (you just need a router). With this, you'd see your LMS webGUI for controlling your SB players (or be able to control them with smart phone & app. Since you listen to your own music 90% of the time, you'd be good to go with this setup. Now, with regard to trying to listen to Rhapsody via your SB, this might be a problem. Might work, might not work well, and will certainly use a lot of bandwidth when streaming.

Hi Garym,
Thanks for the swift reply, as always. I think I'll disconnect my modem and give it a go before making a decision. I guess installing lame for streaming might help. Did you ever get round to getting your Squeezeplug up and running by the way?

garym
2012-04-23, 08:05
Hi Garym,
Thanks for the swift reply, as always. I think I'll disconnect my modem and give it a go before making a decision. I guess installing lame for streaming might help. Did you ever get round to getting your Squeezeplug up and running by the way?

Good idea to just test things out first. re squeezeplug, I actually never bothered. In the end, I just added a vortexbox appliance at the weekend place rather than using the squeezeplug.