PDA

View Full Version : Car stereo

Fahzz
2012-04-10, 18:21
If this is too off topic i apologize in advance, but I'm hoping someone here can give me a credible answer.

I have a brand new vehicle (Yay!). The audio head unit will accept a USB drive, and I now have 64 gigs of Mp3's on random play, which is kind of like having Radio Paradise in my car.

The Mp3's are from various sources, and I notice a significant volume difference between tracks, notwithstanding setting replay gain as album using Foobar 3000. Does anybody know if car stereos read replay gain tags? The members on the car audio forums don't seem to know about replay gain.

The car is an Acura with a base Panasonic audio system.

Thanks.

garym
2012-04-11, 04:19
If this is too off topic i apologize in advance, but I'm hoping someone here can give me a credible answer.

I have a brand new vehicle (Yay!). The audio head unit will accept a USB drive, and I now have 64 gigs of Mp3's on random play, which is kind of like having Radio Paradise in my car.

The Mp3's are from various sources, and I notice a significant volume difference between tracks, notwithstanding setting replay gain as album using Foobar 3000. Does anybody know if car stereos read replay gain tags? The members on the car audio forums don't seem to know about replay gain.

Thanks.

they often do not. perhaps you should just create a special set of mp3 files for your car where you "apply" the RG values to the audio (so that it doesn't matter whether the player reads RG tags). You can do this in dbpa and probably in foobar as well.

Gingernut63
2012-04-12, 13:43

Try converting all the Mp3s using MP3Gain (http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/) instead of Foobar. The process won't take long (possibly overnight depending on the size) and you can reverse it at a later date. I use this approach in my car and it works very well. Also note I use a value of 92 db instead of 89 db as I tend to find the overall volume too low. Yes this is a slight compromise on peak distortion, but one that works well for me.

Cheers
Gingernut63

Fahzz
2012-04-12, 18:25
Thanks you guys.

Fahzz
2012-04-13, 10:24
Try converting all the Mp3s using MP3Gain (http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/) instead of Foobar.

Do you use album gain or track gain for the car audio?

Gingernut63
2012-04-13, 14:05
Do you use album gain or track gain for the car audio?

In general if I have a collection of single tracks in an album or folder I use Track Gain, if it's an album by a single artist I use Album Gain. MP3Gain looks for the album tag and will process the "album" as track or album gain depending on your selection. Alas it can only do one process at a time. You would have to run an Album Gain batch and then a Track Gain batch.

Alternatively you can Track Gain the lot, the quieter tracks would increase in loudness which maybe OK as they can be hard to hear due to car and road noise. Using a combination of Track and Album Gain works for me, however your circumstances may require a different approach.

Cheers
Gingernut63

JJZolx
2012-04-13, 14:43
Given that the car stereo isn't smart enough that it can use proper ReplayGain tags, and you have to resort to Mp3gain to boost the volume level of the data, there would be no way to use any type of "smart" gain, like LMS does. If you typically listen to whole albums, you should probably use album gain. If you typically listen to mixed playlists or shuffled/random songs, track gain would be more logical. Personally, I would just use track gain for everything in that system.

Fahzz
2012-04-14, 06:31
Personally, I would just use track gain for everything in that system.

Well, I scanned everything to album gain overnight - we'll see how it goes, but I think you are probably correct, and I will have to rescan.

I will say that having all of this music in the car is really great!

Gingernut63
2012-04-14, 13:53
I will say that having all of this music in the car is really great!

A great way to travel!

Fahzz
2012-04-25, 17:00
I want to report back. Track gain was the way to go with Mp3Gain. It took about 36 hours for 10,500 tracks, but now I don't have to change the volume every few minutes.
Did I say that I now have 10500(!!!!) tracks in my FREAKIN' CAR?
Thanks again for the help and sage advice.

Gingernut63
2012-04-25, 20:04
I want to report back. Track gain was the way to go with Mp3Gain. It took about 36 hours for 10,500 tracks, but now I don't have to change the volume every few minutes.
Thanks again for the help and sage advice.

Looks like your car journeys are going to take longer than expected.

arztde
2012-04-26, 04:33

Thanks.

Why not use Internet and connect to your server at home? I do it in this way with a parrot Bluetooth connection and my Androit and iPhone. httP://http://www.parrot.com I use PARROT MKi9200... and do connect direct via Internet to a Music Server at home. I let do the Music Server the things... In this way i am independant whereever i am.

andynormancx
2012-04-26, 04:47

Welcome to 1999 ;)

(still love my empegs, all still working)

Fahzz
2012-04-26, 19:16
Welcome to 1999 ;)

Yeah - actually welcome to decades of road tunes. It used to be limited to Deep Purple on the eight track player in my brother's Chevelle. Not sure whether that was more fun though...those were good days.