PDA

View Full Version : What should I do with my CDs?

mandryka
2012-04-09, 00:58
I have about 3,000 CDs. They never get played - when I play my music I stream it from a hard drive to the hi-fi.

At the moment CDs are displayed on shelves. But they're starting to look so old fashioned, and I could use the space to display something more interesting and beautiful. The CDs are, quite frankly, neither use nor ornament.

I've kept them because, at the back of my mind, is the idea that they're potentially a valuable back up to the hard drive. But this line of thinking may be specious. I already have one back up on disc. It would be cheap and easy to create a second or even a third.

The CDs must be worth many many thousands of pounds.

What should I do? Keep them stored on the walls? Store them in boxes in the loft, where they may be difficult to access? Sell them? Or what?

Bytec
2012-04-09, 02:05
You should store them.

If you sell them, then I believe for legal reasons you should delete/destroy backups of sold CDs.

Otherwise it would be like renting a movie disc, making a copy and returning the disc. It's illegal.

zowie
2012-04-09, 12:25
I have about 3,000 CDs. They never get played - when I play my music I stream it from a hard drive to the hi-fi.

At the moment CDs are displayed on shelves. But they're starting to look so old fashioned, and I could use the space to display something more interesting and beautiful. The CDs are, quite frankly, neither use nor ornament.

I've kept them because, at the back of my mind, is the idea that they're potentially a valuable back up to the hard drive. But this line of thinking may be specious. I already have one back up on disc. It would be cheap and easy to create a second or even a third.

The CDs must be worth many many thousands of pounds.

What should I do? Keep them stored on the walls? Store them in boxes in the loft, where they may be difficult to access? Sell them? Or what?

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?80369-Where-are-your-CDs

Stratmangler
2012-04-09, 14:39
Stick 'em where the sun never shines - in a box and then up into the attic.

Chris ;)

pski
2012-04-09, 14:49
Stick 'em where the sun never shines - in a box and then up into the attic.

Chris ;)

No attic. Mine gets to 140 degrees in Georgia.

robchel
2012-04-09, 20:10
Haven't used this CD storage service myself, but sounds intriguing: https://www.murfie.com/ - description below. If anyone on the forum has used murfie I'd appreciate their feedback.

Sell Your CDs on Murfie
Request a Kit
To sell or trade the CDs you have at home, request a free mail-in kit. We'll send you a prepaid mailer containing: a box, packing materials to protect your discs, and return postage. Put your discs in the box, and mail it back to us free of charge.

Set Up Shop
When your discs arrive at Murfie HQ, we'll post them to your Murfie account. Once you set the prices, your CDs get listed in a personal shop on Murfie (like this one). Spread the word by sharing your shop URL on platforms like Facebook, Twitter, and Craigslist.

Make Sales
Anyone browsing Murfie can buy albums from your shop. When you make a sale, we credit 70% of the purchase price to your Murfie account balance. Use the funds in your account balance as store credit, or request we cut you a check.

Don't Keep a Copy
Sorry, folks. You cannot keep digital copies of CDs you sell or trade away. Once you make a sale or trade on Murfie, our Terms require that you agree to delete any digital copies of this CD in your possession.