PDA

View Full Version : Planned outage - Wed April 4th

mherger
2012-04-02, 09:06
We're about to move forums.slimdevices.com to a new home. At the same time
we'll be updating the vbulletin to the latest version to give you great
new features, like eg. a skin for mobile devices etc.

The move is planned for Wednesday April 4, about 5-8am PST.

A few FAQ:
- are you going to move these forums to the feature limited
forums.logitech.com site? NO! We're sticking with the current software,
but are updating to the latest version.
- will the mailing lists continue to work? Yes.
- will Tapatalk continue to work? Yes.

Once the migration has finished, please let us know about any problem
you're encountering.

--

Michael

browellm
2012-04-02, 11:44
Michael, any chance of installing the ForumRunner plugin too?

MrSinatra
2012-04-02, 18:20
more smilies would be nice. maybe some BB code to do bold and so on, a toolbar for that where u type the post.

mherger
2012-04-03, 01:24
> Michael, any chance of installing the ForumRunner plugin too?

We'll first stabilize the system on the new host before we're adding new
features. The new forum software comes with a mobile skin which should
work pretty well in your smartphone's browser already.

--

Michael

DaveWr
2012-04-04, 12:39
> Michael, any chance of installing the ForumRunner plugin too?

We'll first stabilize the system on the new host before we're adding new
features. The new forum software comes with a mobile skin which should
work pretty well in your smartphone's browser already.

--

Michael

I hope the mobile is better than the web view. IMHO, this is not better, more icons, cluttered.

JJZolx
2012-04-04, 13:03
Can member information be moved into a left-hand column instead of having it on top? Makes reading threads a lot easier. Here's an example:

https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php/393181

I also hope that someone can find time to install a couple more skins. This one is pretty blah.

didjean
2012-04-04, 14:47
FYI, I created a thread this afternoon with subject "New forum" in the General Discussion section, I can't find it back. it seems that it disappeard (Michael you did answer in that discussion).

Moreover the "find latest post / find latest started threads" in a user profile give old results.

MrSinatra
2012-04-04, 15:48
Can member information be moved into a left-hand column instead of having it on top? Makes reading threads a lot easier. Here's an example:

https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php/393181

ditto!

routehero
2012-04-04, 16:04
FYI, I created a thread this afternoon with subject "New forum" in the General Discussion section, I can't find it back. it seems that it disappeard (Michael you did answer in that discussion).

Moreover the "find latest post / find latest started threads" in a user profile give old results.

I think I accidentally deleted your thread. I really have no business doing this work, but here I am.

I will check out the index to see why you're getting old data, that's not normal.

For the rest, there is an outstanding issue with email not making its way to the mailing lists. This is work in progress.

JJZolx
2012-04-04, 16:06
For the rest, there is an outstanding issue with email not making its way to the mailing lists. This is work in progress.

Subscription notifications aren't working either.

JohnSwenson
2012-04-04, 16:39
The mobile phone skin is very nice, its much easier to use.

John S.

routehero
2012-04-04, 18:11
Subscription notifications aren't working either.

I'm able to get notifications on subscribed threads. Can you be more specific?

JJZolx
2012-04-04, 19:31
I'm able to get notifications on subscribed threads. Can you be more specific?

I haven't received an email notification since the changeover. The last one I received was yesterday 4/3.

MrSinatra
2012-04-04, 19:39
notifications have been hit or miss for me.

mherger
2012-04-04, 22:04
Jim - are notifications still broken for you?

routehero
2012-04-05, 00:04
I haven't received an email notification since the changeover. The last one I received was yesterday 4/3.

I'll need your help to narrow that down a bit. Can you subscribe to this thread:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?94478-Test-Subscribe

At least on my end, the third drop-down menu on subscribe is instant notification via email. I am able to subscribe to this thread on my other account and reply on this one and see good results.

This will let us know if it is either your specific user, or your old subscriptions from prior to the upgrade.

JJZolx
2012-04-05, 01:04
Jim - are notifications still broken for you?

Yes.

I'll need your help to narrow that down a bit. Can you subscribe to this thread:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?94478-Test-Subscribe

At least on my end, the third drop-down menu on subscribe is instant notification via email. I am able to subscribe to this thread on my other account and reply on this one and see good results.

This will let us know if it is either your specific user, or your old subscriptions from prior to the upgrade.

Done.

chill
2012-04-05, 02:54
The mobile phone skin is very nice, its much easier to use.

John S.

Agreed - but I'm missing the 'New Posts' option. That's generally how I keep track of these forums - would be nice to have a shortcut to New Posts on the mobile skin.

garym
2012-04-05, 04:23
Agreed - but I'm missing the 'New Posts' option. That's generally how I keep track of these forums - would be nice to have a shortcut to New Posts on the mobile skin.

agree. but you can get there by clicking on the icon at upper right (left icon of the two). Then on this page scroll down and click what's new. Agree that having a single "new posts" icon would be better.

garym
2012-04-05, 05:18
Another data point: I'm subscribed to many threads and haven't received any email notification of new posts since the forum was updated.

andy_c
2012-04-05, 07:24
Search is not working correctly for me. If I click on my user name in an existing post and choose "view forum posts", the most recent post shown is 2009, though I have a number of them this year. If I try to do it through Advanced Search, a similar thing happens, though I get a different set of posts shown. This is my first post on the new forum software, so just posting this may change the situation a bit.

Edit: Whoa! I just did this same search again after posting this, and having put one post on the new forum completely fixed the problem. I tried this a number of times right before posting, and no go. Weird!

garym
2012-04-05, 08:18
The navigation (move to a specific page or move back and forth across pages within a thread is NOT working from the access at the TOP of a thread page, but does work at the BOTTOM of the thread page.

routehero
2012-04-05, 14:10
The navigation (move to a specific page or move back and forth across pages within a thread is NOT working from the access at the TOP of a thread page, but does work at the BOTTOM of the thread page.

I think what you're seeing is the link does not work unless at the bottom of the navbar on the top of the page, right? Conversely, the navbar on the bottom of the page can be clicked anywhere.

We can have a look at that, but please confirm.

Subscriptions to threads should be triggering, for those who had problems, please let us know if you continue to have further issues.

garym
2012-04-05, 14:13
I think what you're seeing is the link does not work unless at the bottom of the navbar on the top of the page, right? Conversely, the navbar on the bottom of the page can be clicked anywhere.

We can have a look at that, but please confirm.

Subscriptions to threads should be triggering, for those who had problems, please let us know if you continue to have further issues.

Ah yes. I didn't realize this. top nav bar works if clicking toward bottom of 1, 2, 3, etc. bottom doesn't matter where you click.

And yes, I'm now receiving emails on subscribed threads. thanks!

chill
2012-04-05, 23:59
agree. but you can get there by clicking on the icon at upper right (left icon of the two). Then on this page scroll down and click what's new. Agree that having a single "new posts" icon would be better.

Gary

Thanks for that - I hadn't spotted that. That upper right icon points to the 'grid view', so after you posted that I changed my bookmark to point straight to the grid view, and that made it just two taps to get to the new posts. The link for 'What's New' points to 'forums.slimdevices.com/search.php?do=getnew', so I've made that my bookmark instead, and now it's just one tap to get there.

Mnyb
2012-04-06, 00:09
One issue is not solved however I log in I eventually get thrown out and have to login again ( computer or ipad ).
This usually happens while writing a long post so I learned to ctrl-c all the time .

It is infuriating when you spent 15-30 minute writing a post and it's suddenly disappear when you post it ?
This happens a lot for me, you get some bizarre error message and when pressing back button to recover what you wrote it is gone, so ctrl-c all the time while writing.

I usually login 5-10 times every evening when I'm on the forum . The desktop may have some browser settings to tigt, but the iPad has safari "as is" no over paranoid settings and tapatalk logs out to so I think it is a forum bug for sure.

AnthonioBEL
2012-04-06, 00:49
The previous forum always had a link-tree like below:

Forum > User Forums > General Discussion > Planned outage - Wed April 4th
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This meant it was easy to browse back to the section you were interested in with one click (ie, If I wanted to go back to "general Discussion")

This new forum does not ordinarily display such a link-tree.
However, when clicking on "reply to Thread", this link-tree is suddenly present.
It was very useful when reading a long multi-page thread, and after finishing wanting to go back to the section the thread was in.

avr300
2012-04-06, 01:55
Attachments is not working. Select a jpg or png file, it uploads but ends in saying "not a valid image file"

Then I wonder, what is a valid image file ?

garym
2012-04-06, 04:18
Attachments is not working. Select a jpg or png file, it uploads but ends in saying "not a valid image file"

I'm having this issue as well.

routehero
2012-04-06, 06:17

Please try again.

routehero
2012-04-06, 06:17
One issue is not solved however I log in I eventually get thrown out and have to login again ( computer or ipad ).
This usually happens while writing a long post so I learned to ctrl-c all the time .

It is infuriating when you spent 15-30 minute writing a post and it's suddenly disappear when you post it ?
This happens a lot for me, you get some bizarre error message and when pressing back button to recover what you wrote it is gone, so ctrl-c all the time while writing.

I usually login 5-10 times every evening when I'm on the forum . The desktop may have some browser settings to tigt, but the iPad has safari "as is" no over paranoid settings and tapatalk logs out to so I think it is a forum bug for sure.

Are you using the "remember me" button when you log in?

MrSinatra
2012-04-06, 06:38

i do, and it happens anyway.

garym
2012-04-06, 06:45
Please try again.

ok. works now. thanks.

avr300
2012-04-06, 12:32
Yes, confirmed.

Mnyb
2012-04-06, 19:37

Yes no difference it's completely random, this reply is an example I'm still logged in after several hours of inactivity ? On my iPad

JJZolx
2012-04-07, 12:05
Could something also be done with link styling? You can barely make out links in posts.

mherger
2012-04-09, 21:37

Could you please try again?

JJZolx
2012-04-09, 21:48
Works for me.

Michael Herger
2012-04-09, 22:08
> Works for me.

Thanks for testing. The artwork handler was missing some files needed for
conversion/resizing etc.

--

Michael

Ron Olsen
2012-04-10, 02:22
It would be great if you could update (again!) to vBulletin 4.1.12 and provide support for Forum Runner.

See https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php/399363-vBulletin-4-1-12-FULL-has-been-released-(vBulletin-com-upgraded) and https://www.vbulletin.com/forum/content.php/735-Why-Should-I-Activate-Forum-Runner

Forum Runner integrates "seamlessly" with vBulletin 4.1.12, and provides a better mobile interface than Tapatalk.

The VortexBox forum (http://www.vortexbox.org/forum.php) just upgraded to vBulletin 4.1.12. The VB site administrator said it was trivial to add Forum Runner to the VB forum with vBulletin 4.1.12.

I have accessed the VortexBox forum using the Forum Runner app on my iPhone and iPad and it works very well.

virgiliomi
2012-04-10, 05:41
It would be great if you could update (again!) to vBulletin 4.1.12...
vBulletin 4.1.12 was only just announced as being available yesterday (I have a site I run that uses it, which is how I know)... Given that they just upgraded the forums here and are still working out small bugs and kinks, I'm sure they will upgrade to the new version when it's a good time for them to do so.

avr300
2012-04-10, 08:35
Could you please try again?

Sorry, I was too unclear here http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?94424-Planned-outage-Wed-April-4th&p=699725&viewfull=1#post699725

Yes, It works. Thanks.

JJZolx
2012-04-10, 10:59
What's the difference between image attachments that appear in a gray box and those that don't, as in the post immediately above this one?

avr300
2012-04-10, 11:08
How do you manage to get the grey box 'round your attachment ?

I press the Inset Inline button

avr300
2012-04-10, 11:10
This post, I haven't pressed the insert inline...

edit - that's the difference

JJZolx
2012-04-10, 11:13
I press the Inset Inline button

Ah, that's it. I missed that.

Michael Herger
2012-04-10, 23:40
> It would be great if you could update (again!) to vBulletin 4.1.12 and
> provide support for Forum Runner.

You lucky guys. I didn't plan to install Forum Runner before a while. But
if it's part of a bugfix release, then you'll probably get it "for free"
:-). I'll talk to the server admin.

--

Michael

JJZolx
2012-04-13, 11:05
Two more problems/suggestions:

Code boxes wrap lines instead of scrolling horizontally. For example:

ogf flc * *
[flac] --ogg -dcs -- $FILE$ | [flac] -cs --ignore-chunk-sizes --totally-silent --compression-level-0 -

They do scroll when previewing the message, but not when viewed in the forum after posting.

Can the 'Advanced Search' be made to default to the 'Search Single Content Type' tab? This is a lot more useful (for example, searching single forums), It's also the more familiar Advanced Search from vBulletin 3. Also, the Advanced Search page has some layout problems that make using the tabs to switch between the two search types difficult.