PDA

View Full Version : Radio directory restricted search to specific country now

rudey
2012-03-30, 00:34
Hi,
I just notice that starting from today, from the menu of all players, the 'search' and 'internet radio' restricted the result to specific country now. i.e. if I click 'Internet Radio', 'Music', 'Adult Contemp', 'Stations', all stations returned are only the ones in my country (China). That change also applies to 'World' under 'Internet Radio' from the main menu too: only 'China' appears under 'Asia' from the list.
I hear of that the radio directory service is provided by radiotime (now tunein radio) in Squeezebox player - I'm very upset if tunein make the change regarding their service policy to restrict the return results according to client's IP address.
I'm curious that is that also true for other squeezebox users around in other countries outside of China or just me.

Thanks.

bonze
2012-03-30, 02:21
Have you contacted tunein?

rudey
2012-03-30, 05:16
Hi,
It's tricky since I can't even connect to http://tunein.com and get 'connection reset' in the web browser. One thing I'm 100% sure is that Tunein Radio did filtered the stations in the directory/search results, shows only stations in China to the clients whose player IP is within China.
Thanks TuneIn Radio for that service change - now my squeezebox boom/radio/touch can only serve local music only! I'll not bother to power them up to just listen the local FM stations!
So it's clear, TuneIn Radio did a Geographic blocking for their services, although it's not total blocked but render the service useless at all to me now.

:(

rudey
2012-03-30, 05:37
I try to connect tunein.com with some other means (by web proxy) and feedbacks my questions on their website. No idea if this will catch their eye and get back to me...

Mnyb
2012-03-30, 08:07
I get their website perfectly here in Sweden .

And the app is working to. Listening to a Latino station from LA right now.

Is this not a "great firewall of china" type of problem , China is said to be the worlds largest intranet .
So it is possibly outside tunein's controll to .

Political dissidents do broadcast web-radio and are probably searchable via aggregators as tunein.

robchel
2012-03-31, 00:17
In Shanghai and for 18+ hours now nearly every radio station we access via msb.com now plays a "not available in your country" message. Oddly WCPT Chicago is the only one I've found so far that still works - they're progressives though so maybe they've got Party connections? My TuneIn app returns this error message "no entries in playlist" [even for WCPT] - so it's apparently a major blockage. I can access all with my VPN on [the TuneIn app works just fine then]. Dont' have our 2 squeezeboxes set up to work on the VPN. Other MSB.com offerings appear to be working fine [Live 365, Radioio]

Not sure if it's connected - but this new AP story makes one wonder if we're the victims of a broader shut down - late Friday coincides with the timing of my loss of access:

"BEIJING (AP) — China is shuttering more than a dozen websites, penalizing two popular social media sites and detaining six people for circulating rumors of a coup that rattled Beijing in the midst of its worst high-level political crisis in years. The announcement carried late Friday by official media said the Internet companies and individuals were being punished for fabricating and disseminating rumors that military vehicles had entered Beijing or that something had happened in the Chinese capital.

rudey
2012-03-31, 00:32
There are also many complaint that TuneIn Radio app of iPad/iPhone can't play/display all stations outside of China too - on the Sina Weibo.com which is a SNS like twitter mainly used by Chinese.
This confirms that TuneIn Radio did make the change on their directory services to clients in China.

robchel
2012-03-31, 00:55
Yes, I see the TuneIn.com site is blocked [in China] when I turn off my VPN and try to load it. Still, it seems odd that MySqueezeBox.com should begin experiencing similar denial of access problems at nearly the exact same time TuneIn did. I've emailed TuneIn customer support for an explanation - I'll see if they offer any answers. BTW the Mysqueezebox.com web site is still fully accessible with out without a VPN.

ufoerp
2012-03-31, 07:37
i have the same issue in Shanghai.

robchel
2012-03-31, 16:06
Sunday morning in Shanghai - most radio broadcasts still blocked on MSB.com as well as on TuneIn with just a couple of exceptions. Even a struggle to get my VPN working - things running really slow. On the road for the holidays - will check all on return.

ufoerp
2012-04-01, 02:03
Sunday morning in Shanghai - most radio broadcasts still blocked on MSB.com as well as on TuneIn with just a couple of exceptions. Even a struggle to get my VPN working - things running really slow. On the road for the holidays - will check all on return.

yes, i am also waiting.
Strangely, my ASUS internet radio still works ok.

Wursti
2012-04-01, 20:43
Same here (Shanghai). My first thought was that since two weeks ago OCM (local internet provider) upgraded all connections in our area to 100Mbit/sec they control even more my traffic but apparently more user encounter that issue, it seems to be bigger problem.

Sorry, but the internet radio was the only reason why I bought this device (touch) in the first place. Without this function, I am afraid it is useless for me...

Isn't there any solution with a proxy? At the moment I use Astrill on my notebook.

cszhy
2012-04-03, 21:29
Same here (Shanghai). My first thought was that since two weeks ago OCM (local internet provider) upgraded all connections in our area to 100Mbit/sec they control even more my traffic but apparently more user encounter that issue, it seems to be bigger problem.

Sorry, but the internet radio was the only reason why I bought this device (touch) in the first place. Without this function, I am afraid it is useless for me...

Isn't there any solution with a proxy? At the moment I use Astrill on my notebook.

me too, I'm in shanghai, can't search or steam station outside China.
only app works ,very few station now

virgiliomi
2012-04-04, 04:54
This is more likely a limitation of the TuneIn service being used to stream most terrestrial radio stations, rather than a limitation that Logitech is imposing.

Have you tried adding the Shoutcast app and seeing if that also returns just streams in your country?

robchel
2012-04-04, 16:47
I just contacted TuneIn support and asked what's up with their China service - their response was as follows:

We are complying with Chinese government regulations to remove aspects of our service in China. We apologize for any inconvenience or disruption this is causing you.

The upshot is unless the Chinese government lifts their limitations we are SOL ["shucks" outta luck] listening to many stations here in China. I can access TuneIn as well as other services using a VPN - however setting this up can be problematic for many residents here. And, obtaining my Squeeze Boxes device streams via the VPN is a hassle. It's possible running the server on a VPN connected computer, but not my favored 24/7 solution. Guess all we can do is wait an see.

If anyone finds another way to access these stations via MySqueezeBox.com, TuneIn, etc... please post it here!

cszhy
2012-04-04, 17:06
I just contacted TuneIn support and asked what's up with their China service - their response was as follows:

The upshot is unless the Chinese government lifts their limitations we are SOL ["shucks" outta luck] listening to many stations here in China. I can access TuneIn as well as other services using a VPN - however setting this up can be problematic for many residents here. And, obtaining my Squeeze Boxes device streams via the VPN is a hassle. It's possible running the server on a VPN connected computer, but not my favored 24/7 solution. Guess all we can do is wait an see.

If anyone finds another way to access these stations via MySqueezeBox.com, TuneIn, etc... please post it here!

http://www.jogglerwiki.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14&p=8527#p8527

rudey
2012-04-05, 06:55
Finally get through by rerouting opml.radiotime.com access with VPN tunnel on LMS server, which runs on qnap nas, by installing a ssh port forwarding first, then using iptables redirecting access to localhost ssh listened port. It works fine excepting the ssh connection breaks after a while without activity.

cszhy
2012-04-05, 16:27
This is more likely a limitation of the TuneIn service being used to stream most terrestrial radio stations, rather than a limitation that Logitech is imposing.

Have you tried adding the Shoutcast app and seeing if that also returns just streams in your country?

shoutcast is a easy replacement, it works pretty well, thanks

hogfarmer
2012-05-05, 20:41
I just returned back to Wuhan after 3 weeks in the US, and my first thought was the stupid Squeezebox was acting up again (this thing has never been stable here) but after fighting it 3 days (and hearing the constant not-available-in-your-country message) found this forum. Yes, same thing here, restricted to only Chinese stations, all others blocked. Interesting though, I can still receive Podcasts, a few of the Staff Pick stations, and (interestingly) BBC stations, although hit and miss. The Tune In site is blocked (as others have noted) and the app on my Android gives the blocked message. Interestingly, the Infinity Tunes app on my Iphone still works getting RTHK and other stations, even when using the Unicom 3G signal. Guess it will just be a matter of time before that goes dead. Well done guys, thanks for your support for us poor expats out here who shelled out hundreds of bucks for a radio to keep us somewhat informed what is happening in the world.

Celso
2012-05-29, 07:24
easy enough with VPN on your PC though and using your web remote - works flawlessly for me and my 4 SB's