PDA

View Full Version : logitech ue air speaker

nervoteso
2012-03-29, 04:18
hi,

logitech ue air speaker is similar to squeezebox! maybe logitech is thinking to drop our squeezebox?

bpa
2012-03-29, 04:25
maybe logitech is thinking to drop our squeezebox?

If they are then why are they hiring more engineers.
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=695879&postcount=27

mherger
2012-03-29, 04:30
> logitech ue air speaker is similar to squeezebox!

Similar in what way? Yes, it does make sound.

--

Michael

nervoteso
2012-03-29, 04:37
> logitech ue air speaker is similar to squeezebox!

Similar in what way? Yes, it does make sound.

--

Michael

you're right...sorry i i've just read info about that product and it's pretty different...squeezebox forever

MrC
2012-03-29, 09:09
The eww-e air... "Great sound, but who broke wind?"

andyg
2012-03-29, 09:42
I don't want to get in trouble so I'm not going to bash the UE Air Speaker, but I'm sure some of you can read my mind on this one.

MrC
2012-03-29, 11:28
I don't want to get in trouble so I'm not going to bash the UE Air Speaker, but I'm sure some of you can read my mind on this one.

An apophasis!

erland
2012-03-29, 13:43
Has anyone listened to it to compare the audio quality with for example a Boom ?

I'm not sure these docking station/AirPlay based speakers is that bad from a user perspective. Combined with the right iOS app they could probably be an excellent solution, especially if you combine them with a docked iOS device.

At the moment, the offering Logitech has on the Squeezebox line which would compete with it is a mono based Radio or a more expensive Touch+active speakers, so I'm not sure Squeezebox line offers anything better at the moment if you want me to be honest.

However, the price on Logitech UE Air Speaker seems to be a bit high IMHO. I'm also not impressed by the design, might look stylish at first, but I can't really think of a place where I would like to have something like this in my home.

pski
2012-03-29, 16:22
Has anyone listened to it to compare the audio quality with for example a Boom ?

I'm not sure these docking station/AirPlay based speakers is that bad from a user perspective. Combined with the right iOS app they could probably be an excellent solution, especially if you combine them with a docked iOS device.

At the moment, the offering Logitech has on the Squeezebox line which would compete with it is a mono based Radio or a more expensive Touch+active speakers, so I'm not sure Squeezebox line offers anything better at the moment if you want me to be honest.

However, the price on Logitech UE Air Speaker seems to be a bit high IMHO. I'm also not impressed by the design, might look stylish at first, but I can't really think of a place where I would like to have something like this in my home.

erland,

mono speaker(s) in the Radio are not a concern. how does the Radio do on analog line-out?

P

erland
2012-03-29, 20:52
erland,

mono speaker(s) in the Radio are not a concern. how does the Radio do on analog line-out?

Why would I need an analog line-out on a player with built-in speakers ?

I can understand the need for using headphones, but the Radio has a headphone output.

Or did you think about combining a Radio with active stereo speakers to get a cheaper, but possibly more bulky, solution than the UE Air speaker ?
Even though that's certainly an option for geeks, I doubt many normal users would get a Radio and add active speakers to it when it already have a built-in speaker. Even if they would consider this an option, most of them wouldn't even realize it could be done because it's certainly not something that's advertized much from Logitech's side. People that know they want stereo would purchase the Touch from Logitech today and when looking at the standard Logitech prices this gets more expensive compared to getting the UE Air speaker.

On the other hand, an analog line-in, or even better AirPlay or iOS dockingstation, would be a lot more important because it means I can play the music me or my friends have on our smart phones, this is one area where the UE Air speaker have a huge advantage, assuming its audio quality is at least as good as the Radio.

Of course, we all know that Squeezeboxes have a big advantage as soon as your music isn't stored on your mobile device but stored on a central computer in the house, but as I've said in other threads, people today are getting rid of their stationary computers when they get a new one. So the obvious place to run SBS/LMS, is getting less and less obvious for most people when they replace their stationary computer with a WiFi connected laptop which is sleeping in a bag or another room most of the time when they want to listen to music.

It's also important to remember that it's going to get more and more common that people more or less only use streaming services, like Rhapsody and Spotify or internet radio, and this removes the need for SBS/LMS. So then the part that's missing in the Squeezebox line to compete with UE Air is a player that supports stereo through built-in speakers. The Radio is perfect in rooms where you don't need stereo and there is no way the UE Air can compete with a Radio in this scenario, unless the user primarily want to play music which is stored on his/hers mobile phone, which is getting more and more common normal people today, I think. The Boom was also perfect, especially since I think it's smaller than UE Air, but the Boom isn't sold by Logitech anymore.