PDA

View Full Version : convert your favorites list (opml) to a playlist(m3u)?

ANZAC
2012-03-23, 21:38
I know it's been asked before. No satisfactory or contemporaneous answers. I have trawled and searched and still can't work out how to just play all our favorites with only one click?

How do I convert the Favorites.opml file into an Favorites.m3u playlist?

Talk on the forums of a way to covert, but in reverse to my request, exists but why would you want to convert a playlist to an opml (proprietary text file?) in the first place is beyond me anyway?

I have seen suggestions (from 2007) saying stuff like smart search copy and paste etc.... but no instructions on how to do this?

Our favs file has many hundreds of songs and to convert to m3u by hand editing would take (too) much time... Tens of thousands of songs ripped (most lossless) so expect our favorites list to keep growing...

Please is there an extra or app or script or some such to do this conversion automatically?

Said playlist would also enable me to drag the favs playlist onto my PMP (as per signature) to drown my ears when out and about... or to winamp or wmp to use at home when my duet is being temperamental and won't connect to anything yet again?

Drives me nuts that this is so hard to achieve; why have the ability to save favorites if you can't just play them easily afterwards?

LMFAO I keep putting the u back in favourites instead of the US favorites...

Mnyb
2012-03-23, 23:03
To not get in this situation in the first place, I sugests you use the playlist manager plugin .

The normal ( broken ) playlist handling in a squeezebox only allow you to save the now playing list as a playlist .

Playlist manager allows you to add songs to existing playlists and to create a completely new list unrelated to what you are listening to .

I only use favourites for radio ? Otherwise search, artist, album, random , sugarcube or playlists.

Re spelling " favourites colour aluminium" is how I learned English in school :) the spell checker in iPad is smart enough not so in FF on my PC it spells the American way it puzzled me for a while.

Until I figured out that British English is what they teach us in Sweden .

ANZAC
2012-03-23, 23:17
To not get in this situation in the first place, I sugests you use the playlist manager plugin .

The normal ( broken ) playlist handling in a squeezebox only allow you to save the now playing list as a playlist .

Playlist manager allows you to add songs to existing playlists and to create a completely new list unrelated to what you are listening to .

I only use favourites for radio ? Otherwise search, artist, album, random , sugarcube or playlists.

Re spelling " favourites colour aluminium" is how I learned English in school :) the spell checker in iPad is smart enough not so in FF on my PC it spells the American way it puzzled me for a while.

Until I figured out that British English is what they teach us in Sweden .

Ta m8 for your time.

Don't mind using something that works from now on but am still then stuck with the "old" waste of time opml bucket full of favourites...

BTW what is sugercube please? Here in this house it is very rare that we play anything other than randomly!

I learnt Australian English myself. G'day and bonzar and the like ;)Ta for the chuckle!

Mnyb
2012-03-24, 00:55
sugarcube is a plugin that uses music-ip to create playlist based on similarity with a seed track . very neat .
Yopu donate to get acess to a recent version, the one directly avaible in the settings is not it

The drawbacks are that it's a bit bewildering to set up the first time and that music ip is abandonware and works "as is" .
And you add the complexity of having a mip server running in prallel with LMS .
Especially if your server is non windows and you analyze files on another (in my case virtual) machine, it is a long overdue bug in LMS to create similar functionality .

There is alo a mip plugin for LMS but then LMS would rely on mip's own dB which is not as good as scanning and building a dB as LMS (if u can believe that ,abandon-ware no bugfixes ) .

But you original problem, I can't program myself out of a paper bag .
But the problem looks a unusual otherwise googling would have found you a solution by know .

Edit. the problem as I see it is that a playlist are direct links to the path of a file and the opml links to the database , so any "conversion" is going to include using you current dB to mine for information
Edit2: Wrong of me for a single track the opml has the path giberishly encoded with a lot of %20 and stuff .

But it looks computable to me, opml files are not random they are designed by "rule" and so are playlists .

ANZAC
2012-03-24, 04:28
I shall look into it.

pippin
2012-03-24, 04:44
No satisfactory or contemporaneous answers. I have trawled and searched and still can't work out how to just play all our favorites with only one click?

Use iPeng ;)

EDIT: To avoid confusion: iPeng can't convert your favorites to a playlist directly, but it has a "play all" feature which plays the whole list of favorites.
If you really want a playlist you could then just save the current playlist and there you go.

ANZAC
2012-03-24, 05:11
Do they do a version for Android, as I've no iPhone; actually I have no ianything ;)

Got excited for a second then thinking problem solved!

A nice try though Pippin!

johnas
2012-03-24, 10:49
Got excited for a second then thinking problem solved!

A nice try though Pippin!

As Pippin posted in his edit, just add all your favourites to now playing queue and save it as a playlist.

ANZAC
2012-03-24, 15:16
As Pippin posted in his edit, just add all your favourites to now playing queue and save it as a playlist.

Thanks m8. Sounds good, however unless I am missing something, the favourites can only be added one at a time to the now playing queue?

Logitech Media Server Version: 7.7.1 - r33750 @ Mon Dec 12 09:42:47 PST 2011
Hostname: BrainBox

Server HTTP Port Number: 9000
Operating system: Windows XP - EN - cp1252
Platform Architecture: 586
Perl Version: 5.14.1 - MSWin32-x86-multi-thread
Database Version: DBD::SQLite 1.34_01 (sqlite 3.7.7.1)
Total Players Recognized: 2

Tom Hutcheson
2012-03-25, 15:50
Hi Anzac -

Send me your file and I'll see if I can convert it for you.

I'll also need a small playlist file from you that you know plays successfully on your system so I can be sure that I'm converting it in the right way. Create one with say 5 songs on it or just give me a small one that you know works.

Send the opml and the playlist to anzac0325@gmail.com (just created this account today). May take me a week or so until I can get to it.

Tom