PDA

View Full Version : Squeezebox 3 digital out crackling

simon72post
2012-03-10, 12:58
Hi

I have a squeezbox 3 which I have been using with no problems for the last 8 years. But now I have started to get white noise clicks and crackle from the digital coax output and no audio, when connected to my micromega DAC. and the dac can not sync propperly with the sb3 any more.

I have tested the sb3 and dac with my minidisc machine and the DAC is fine but the sb3 wont sync propperly with the mini disc eather.

I think the problem is related to a recent update. but its dificault to confirm because my linux server which I have been using the sb3 with has also died. and I am now running the SB server on my laptop at the moment.

the server version I am running is the latest version.

and the analog outputs are working fine.

has anyone else had any problems with the digital output. or know of a solution to fix it.

and if the SB3 has a hardware problem do anyone know where I can get it fixed.

Thanks

epoch1970
2012-03-10, 13:45
I'm afraid this is not a software issue: using firmware 137 (for a long time, upgrades are rare for SB3) on 7.6.2, I have no issue playing through digital out. The SB3 on my main system connects spdif out to a DAC (V-Dac). No problem at all.

(I don't believe there is much practical difference between 7.7 and 7.6, when it comes to an SB3. But you can still get older versions of the server: http://downloads.slimdevices.com/)

Good luck.

Mnyb
2012-03-10, 14:34
Try a xilink reset ?

Does it behave the same via it's analog out ?

You are sure the micromega is ok.

simon72post
2012-03-11, 01:33
hi

I have done some more testing. and it dosnt make any differency which version of sb server I use.
the coax output is still crackling.

The strange thing is the analog and optical outputs are working fine.

so it looks like a problem with just the coax output.

Im wondering if I get the unit upgraded if that might fix it.

Mnyb
2012-03-11, 01:48
hi

I have done some more testing. and it dosnt make any differency which version of sb server I use.
the coax output is still crackling.

The strange thing is the analog and optical outputs are working fine.

so it looks like a problem with just the coax output.

Im wondering if I get the unit upgraded if that might fix it.

Progress .

The RCA contact may have come loose or something is broken in it .

Did you try another coax cable ? or another input at the micromega

simon72post
2012-03-11, 12:17
hi

the dac only has 1 coax and 1 optical input.

I know the cable if fine because I connected my mini disc machine to the dac coax input with no problems.

I suppose there could be a lose connection inside the squezebox. but I would be suprised because its been sat still for over a year with no problems.

I may have a look inside the squeezebox to see if there is anything ovious.

to me it sounds like a timing problem so the dac cant connect sync properly.

I was wondering if it was a clock problem but the optical output is working no problem.