PDA

View Full Version : My wife is forcing me to use iTunes

Zac
2012-03-04, 22:29
For the past 5 years or so alll of my music has been stored in a 'My Music' folder, all as flac files.

I also have a separate itunes music folder somewhere (where ever itunes has chosen) with many many duplicates which were - until now - copied from cds.

Recently my wife and sons have been buying from itunes - and they want to play the music on the main (SB) system.

I have searched and read the myryan files on itunes integration but am still confused.

If I go the multiple library route (not sure how but understand I can) then most music will be listed twice? I could live with this although nit sure when selecting how I would know I was selecting the flac version and not the mp3.

It would be great on the front screen to be able to select either 'my music' or 'itunes music' and have SB look in different folders on command.

Any thoughts? Thanks

garym
2012-03-05, 05:35
For the past 5 years or so alll of my music has been stored in a 'My Music' folder, all as flac files.

I also have a separate itunes music folder somewhere (where ever itunes has chosen) with many many duplicates which were - until now - copied from cds.

Recently my wife and sons have been buying from itunes - and they want to play the music on the main (SB) system.

I have searched and read the myryan files on itunes integration but am still confused.

If I go the multiple library route (not sure how but understand I can) then most music will be listed twice? I could live with this although nit sure when selecting how I would know I was selecting the flac version and not the mp3.

It would be great on the front screen to be able to select either 'my music' or 'itunes music' and have SB look in different folders on command.

Any thoughts? Thanks

install erland's multilibrary plugin.

better yet (and what I do), when they buy itunes music, simply copy those files over to your "permanent library". Set it up like follows:

x:\my music (top directory for your library)
x:\my music\flac\ (location of all your flac files
x:\my music\lossyonly (location of all the mp3/aac files you own that do NOT have FLAC versions)
x:\someotherdirectory\lossymirror (this is where you keep your mp3 copies of FLAC files.

So point your LMS at x:\my music and you'll pick up your FLAC files and the mp3/aac files that are unique.

For itunes, point itunes at x:\lossymirror as the library. But then also navigate to x:\lossyonly and do a "directory add" to add all these files to your itunes library. When done, the itunes library will have all the mp3/aac files.

Another approach would be to have wife/kids install LMS on their own computer. Give it a unique name in LMS Settings (Wife's Music Library). Then when they want to play their own music, they can go to "my music" then to switch library, then scroll down and select "Wife's music Library".

rayman1701
2012-03-05, 09:57
Or if you want simple, why not just make a copy of the songs purchased in iTunes into your LMS library and make a playlist with all of the iTunes songs. That way the iTunes songs would be in the LMS library, but if they wanted to listen just those songs it would be easy for them to find. Or even a few playlists with the iTunes songs, Wife, Son 1, Son 2 ect. Might be a lot simpler than doing the multi-library and if they just want the songs in LMS and don't mind looking thru your music and vice versa, it might work.

w3wilkes
2012-03-05, 14:13
I thought iTunes could support multiple directories. If my thinking is correct you could have the purchased music in a seperate directory from your rippid mp3 iTunes music. Then put a shortcut in your SB main directory to the purchased music iTunes directory and the job is done.

Zac
2012-03-05, 14:42
thanks to each of you for the suggestions. Sorry for my delayed response, I'm in Australia and time zones add a bit of a delay...

The simplest would be to just copy whatever music they download into ther SB directory but they are often single songs and it is becoming more and more a painas the kids get older any download more.

I like the directory structure and will try that - as long as I can make it idiot proof (its ok they don't read this forum!)so if we copy a cd into itunes it will go into one directory (as mp3 copies of flac files) and if they download it goes into a shared folder where both itunes and SB can read it.

Do I have that right?

Thanks again

garym
2012-03-05, 15:07
I like the directory structure and will try that - as long as I can make it idiot proof (its ok they don't read this forum!)so if we copy a cd into itunes it will go into one directory (as mp3 copies of flac files) and if they download it goes into a shared folder where both itunes and SB can read it.

Do I have that right?

Thanks again

yes

xio
2012-03-06, 14:13
The easiest way of all requires making a pact with the devil....

I converted from flac to apple lossless (yeah, yeah, get over it, and yes I did keep a backup copy). Everything is now in iTunes. Any stuff I want to buy can be ripped into lossless, but to be honest, life's too short and I don't listen in such a critical environment, so most of it is downloaded, and from itms, so yes, a bit lossy (and doubtless ruinously expensive etc). Anyway, what it means is that I can buy a song on my iphone (or wife's iphone) and it will automatically be added to the library and magically appear on LMS. I can't tell you how much hassle that saves me.

DixieWalls
2012-03-07, 04:45
I frequently use iTunes, I don't see any difficulties or problems with this software, it's very convenient to operate.

RonM
2012-03-07, 06:58

I converted from flac to apple lossless (yeah, yeah, get over it, and yes I did keep a backup copy). Everything is now in iTunes. Any stuff I want to buy can be ripped into lossless, but to be honest, life's too short and I don't listen in such a critical environment, so most of it is downloaded, and from itms, so yes, a bit lossy (and doubtless ruinously expensive etc). Anyway, what it means is that I can buy a song on my iphone (or wife's iphone) and it will automatically be added to the library and magically appear on LMS. I can't tell you how much hassle that saves me.

Much as I would resent going that Apple route. That is what I would do. Do a batch convert of all Flac files to alac, and make my iTunes and LMS directory the same. If I didn't have too many lossy files, and it was inconvenient to convert only flacs, I would probably convert everything to alac, if I had the disk space.

R

xio
2012-03-07, 07:17
I don't think you even need to make the directories the same, just tick the use iTunes box. ALAC is now open source anyway, so one of the two main reasons for using flac falls away (the other being native decoding).

Zac
2012-04-19, 15:55

This makes sense, however the other reason for going with FLAC was file size (although not as critical with the cost of storage nowadays). Anyone know how they compare sizewise?

pski
2012-04-19, 18:06
This makes sense, however the other reason for going with FLAC was file size (although not as critical with the cost of storage nowadays). Anyone know how they compare sizewise?

m4a and flac are about the same in size. They are both loss-less so the only difference is compression.

P

A prized double is 472 in flac and and 481 in m4a