PDA

View Full Version : (Non-touch) Squeezebox with larger color display or video out

cncb
2012-02-28, 11:06
I like my new Touch but it sits inside my media cabinet and I operate it with a remote control. It is hard to see the screen unless I walk up to it so what I would really like is a new Squeezebox device that either had a larger built-in non-touch display or one with no display and a video output for a small monitor.

Is there any place to "formally" request new products or somewhere they might actually look at customers' ideas (and subsequently ignore, of course :))?

garym
2012-02-28, 11:26
official logitech forum here:
http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Squeezebox-Players/bd-p/squeezeboxplayers

but in the meantime, buy a used iPad1 (should be plenty for sale once ipad 3 comes out). sit this on a stand wherever you'd like, and use the ipad app iPENGhd or squeezepad. You'll have large album art, titles, etc. and the ability to control the touch as well.

azinck3
2012-02-28, 18:38
This is one of my major issues with the Touch (and why I doubt I'll ever own one). Look for a used SB3 or SB2. The VFD is quite readable from across most rooms.

Pascal Hibon
2012-02-29, 02:34
I guess the product you are describing already exists today (a laptop).
Personally I find the Touch’ display very good. I’m about 2 – 3 meters away from it and the dispaly is readable enough. A larger display on the Touch would mean a larger device and that would make it too bulky. The alternative today is to use a remote like iPeng. With such a remote you have all the details right in the palm of your hands.

Soulkeeper
2012-02-29, 02:50
You can probably get a second hand 15" LCD monitor for less than $100, maybe less than $25. If you connect that to a cigarette pack sized mini computer, and run the web interface on it (at your desired zoom level), or SqueezePlay, would that perhaps fit your need?

cncb
2012-02-29, 06:42
I used to have a small PC hooked up to a small monitor but the whole reason I got a Squeezebox is to avoid the maintenance of a PC, have instant access to music, etc. I like the Touch color interface with cover art so all I need is a little larger display. I also prefer to have an always on display so a handheld controller is not ideal for us either.

bonze
2012-02-29, 09:40
Have you tried using Custom Clock to create your own Now Playing screen?
Maybe remove some of the 'clutter' and increase the font size?

JohnSwenson
2012-02-29, 14:57
I used to have a small PC hooked up to a small monitor but the whole reason I got a Squeezebox is to avoid the maintenance of a PC, have instant access to music, etc. I like the Touch color interface with cover art so all I need is a little larger display. I also prefer to have an always on display so a handheld controller is not ideal for us either.

I'm using an old tablette running squeezeplay as a remote screen. It doesn't replace the Touch, I don't use it as a controller, its simply a remote screen that shows whats playing. It shows exacly the same thing the Touch shows, except its much larger.

The one thing this doesn't give you is the ability to see the menus when using the IR remote. This seems to be what you are doing. For controling I use my android phone with SqueezeCommander. The tablette display is always on so I can glance at it and see whats playing without having pick up anything, but when I want to control the Touch I pickup the phone. With the IR remote you still have to pick up the remote to control anything so I don't see how picking up a hand controler is any worse.

I know you just want a Touch with a bigger display, but that is not going to happen any time soon. Using a remote display and a hand controler is something you can do right now with existing hardware.

John S.

Pascal Hibon
2012-02-29, 15:09
I also prefer to have an always on display so a handheld controller is not ideal for us either.

iPeng is configurable that way. You can set it so that the iPod / iPhone won't switch off as long as it is running.

Mnyb
2012-03-01, 01:59
iPeng is configurable that way. You can set it so that the iPod / iPhone won't switch off as long as it is running.

yes with a low priced used iPad1 one can afford to "waste" it as screen only in a table stand of some kind (I have an apple shaped rubber thingy for such purpose )

But it is one device more.

bigger screen ? maybe next version there are unused front area screen could be corner to corner but player can hardly be bigger imho otherwise it will hard to fit in or on hifi furniture ?

carrera
2012-03-04, 02:27
official logitech forum here:
http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Squeezebox-Players/bd-p/squeezeboxplayers

but in the meantime, buy a used iPad1 (should be plenty for sale once ipad 3 comes out). sit this on a stand wherever you'd like, and use the ipad app iPENGhd or squeezepad. You'll have large album art, titles, etc. and the ability to control the touch as well.

Hi,

same here, but I think I might use an older SB 3 placed on a shelf near my listening place. Then I would just sync the players and everything should be fine.

(I'm more interested to see the titles than the cover art - my player is a transporter I turned the display off for maintenance reasons)

carrera

garym
2012-03-04, 06:11
Hi,

same here, but I think I might use an older SB 3 placed on a shelf near my listening place. Then I would just sync the players and everything should be fine.

(I'm more interested to see the titles than the cover art - my player is a transporter I turned the display off for maintenance reasons)

carrera

that would work. but I'm thinking if you have any 24/96 files, if the transporter and SB3 are synched, the LMS server will convert to 24/48 because of the SB3 not handling 24/96 (and I recall that the conversion would be done for the transporter as well, even though it *can* handle 24/96.

cncb
2012-03-04, 06:59
bigger screen ? maybe next version there are unused front area screen could be corner to corner but player can hardly be bigger imho otherwise it will hard to fit in or on hifi furniture ?

I don't claim to know everyone's furniture but I would think that most people would be able to fit an average AVR in there which is usually 6-7 inches high so the Touch screen size could be much larger to get to that height. My furniture has movable shelves so I could fit something much bigger (I have had a 15" widescreen monitor in there in the past).