PDA

View Full Version : Pippin, ipeng and delta airlines

garym
2012-02-23, 14:02
I notice a penguin that looks like pippin's avatar on the rebooting screen in the back of seat monitor in Delta's first class cabin. Seems to be a Linux program. Is there some computer/penguin connection of which I'm not aware?

sebp
2012-02-23, 14:05
It's Tux (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tux).

m1abrams
2012-02-23, 14:08
Well the penguin is the mascot of Linux. Story goes Linus Torvald the creator of Linux liked penguins. And they had a logo competition in which the penguin you see on the Linux boot screen is Tux.

Not sure why ipeng uses a penguin, he may have an explanation on his website.

garym
2012-02-23, 15:44
Aha. I had no clue. Thanks.

pippin
2012-02-23, 18:02
Not sure why ipeng uses a penguin, he may have an explanation on his website.
Indeed. And no, it has nothing to do with Linux.
http://penguinlovesmusic.de/about/the-story/

Actually, the _true_ story is more prosaic, or is it?

When I started experimenting with streaming clients (not yet the Squeebeox back then, I came to the Squeezebox because of it's remote control capabilities) I always said that I want an "iPhone without the Phone" for remote control. Now an iPhone without a Phone is an "i", which is pronounced like the German word for "egg" and that was always my code name for the original skin.

Then when I found others might want to use it, too, I needed an icon and "egg" sounded like it fits a bird and then - my graphics skills are really, really limited - I checked the icons I have around here and there was the one with my penguin et voilą....
And iPeng really _looks_ sooooo much like "iPhone" and "iPod" and all of this which is also kind of cool.

garym
2012-02-23, 23:03
Indeed. And no, it has nothing to do with Linux.
http://penguinlovesmusic.de/about/the-story/

Actually, the _true_ story is more prosaic, or is it?

When I started experimenting with streaming clients (not yet the Squeebeox back then, I came to the Squeezebox because of it's remote control capabilities) I always said that I want an "iPhone without the Phone" for remote control. Now an iPhone without a Phone is an "i", which is pronounced like the German word for "egg" and that was always my code name for the original skin.

Then when I found others might want to use it, too, I needed an icon and "egg" sounded like it fits a bird and then - my graphics skills are really, really limited - I checked the icons I have around here and there was the one with my penguin et voilą....
And iPeng really _looks_ sooooo much like "iPhone" and "iPod" and all of this which is also kind of cool.

Thanks pippin. Great story!

pski
2012-02-24, 08:09
All of Delta's interactive screens are linux based clients that connect to the on-board media server

Mnyb
2012-02-24, 08:35
IPeng is an ok name it works and is easy to remember it catches on .

What to call stuff ? If I somehow cobbled together app it would named just as lamely as my handle on this forum :-/ logo would be the " circle of creativity" ( a coffee cup stain) as in some old Dillbert comic.