PDA

View Full Version : An in-car "Squeezebox"



Meshoulam, Arnon
2004-10-24, 11:44
Richard,

If you are on this thread, there are plenty of car mp3 player sites out
there (I can dig up a few links) with links to various via boxes, power
supply issues, and mp3 player interfaces - mediacar in france is one I
recall.
There are also a few commercial products out there... So I would study
the market closely...

http://users.skynet.be/media-car/
www.ssiamerica.com
http://www.phatnoise.com/


http://www.chaos.org.uk/~altman/mp3mobile/
http://skylab.org/~chugga/mpegbox/

Arnon

-----Original Message-----
From: discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
[mailto:discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com] On Behalf Of Richard
Purdie
Sent: Sunday, October 24, 2004 12:03 PM
To: Slim Devices Discussion
Subject: [slim] An in-car "Squeezebox"

alex dekker:
> How does it handle loss of power? Is it permanently connected to the
car
> battery? I guess if you made the HD read-only or used journaling
whilst
> its in the car, it would handle power loss gracefully.

I've taken power from the lighter socket for convenience. I've got it
mounting things partly readonly and partly journaled as you guessed. To
update the music, I'd probably make it remount writeable journaled and
then
remount back to readonly when finished.

> You can also get ISO-slot
> sized MiniITX cases, possibly this one:
> http://www.itx-warehouse.co.uk/Product.aspx?ProductID=154
>
> You could even have a mini pc with a WLAN card in the boot, and have a
> normal
> squeezebox up front, connected to the aux input of your head unit.

This would run in the boot with a wifi card... ;-). The problem with the
above miniITX case is its at least twice the size and would need an
inverter
to run it - something I wanted to avoid.

Robin Bowes:
> In order to be able to change the music on the disk easily, it would
be
> an idea to fit the HDD in a hot-swappable cage, i.e. plug the drive
into
> some other PC, load with music, then plug back into the MyC3.
>
> Alternatively, activate the USB and/or Firewire interface and use
> external HDDs for the music library (e.g. Maxtor OneTouch).

I'd suggest just moving the whole thing! The MyC3 is about the size of
some
external HDDs ;-) (Physically its the size of 2 and a bit standard
harddisks). You can just plug in power and connect to your network to
update
(or in theory a USB2USB lead - I've not tried that...)

> Either way, you could load the O/S onto some sort of flash memory
rather
> than the HDD.

I wanted everything as one unit rather than several boxes :). It has a
CF
socket and I'm sure it would boot from it though...

--
RP
http://www.rpsys.net/myc3/

Graham Ridgway at home
2004-10-24, 12:15
I am a phatnoise aka kenwood musickeg user. I like the concept, but unless
you have a high end kenwood head unit (and I don't know even then) you get
zero facilities. You can basically only build playlists on the PC and in
the car only scroll through them sequentially. Also the big phatnoise hard
disk units cost a small fortune and I object to not being able to just bung
a bigger disk in!

I would be very interested in a unit that put a slimdevice-alike in the car
esp if it came with the blessing of the nice guys at slim devices.

How do I go about making one Richard??

Graham
----- Original Message -----
From: "Meshoulam, Arnon" <arnon.meshoulam (AT) intel (DOT) com>
To: "Slim Devices Discussion" <discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com>
Sent: Sunday, October 24, 2004 7:44 PM
Subject: [slim] An in-car "Squeezebox"


> Richard,
>
> If you are on this thread, there are plenty of car mp3 player sites out
> there (I can dig up a few links) with links to various via boxes, power
> supply issues, and mp3 player interfaces - mediacar in france is one I
> recall.
> There are also a few commercial products out there... So I would study
> the market closely...
>
> http://users.skynet.be/media-car/
> www.ssiamerica.com
> http://www.phatnoise.com/
>
>
> http://www.chaos.org.uk/~altman/mp3mobile/
> http://skylab.org/~chugga/mpegbox/
>
> Arnon
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com
> [mailto:discuss-bounces (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com] On Behalf Of Richard
> Purdie
> Sent: Sunday, October 24, 2004 12:03 PM
> To: Slim Devices Discussion
> Subject: [slim] An in-car "Squeezebox"
>
> alex dekker:
>> How does it handle loss of power? Is it permanently connected to the
> car
>> battery? I guess if you made the HD read-only or used journaling
> whilst
>> its in the car, it would handle power loss gracefully.
>
> I've taken power from the lighter socket for convenience. I've got it
> mounting things partly readonly and partly journaled as you guessed. To
> update the music, I'd probably make it remount writeable journaled and
> then
> remount back to readonly when finished.
>
>> You can also get ISO-slot
>> sized MiniITX cases, possibly this one:
>> http://www.itx-warehouse.co.uk/Product.aspx?ProductID=154
>>
>> You could even have a mini pc with a WLAN card in the boot, and have a
>> normal
>> squeezebox up front, connected to the aux input of your head unit.
>
> This would run in the boot with a wifi card... ;-). The problem with the
> above miniITX case is its at least twice the size and would need an
> inverter
> to run it - something I wanted to avoid.
>
> Robin Bowes:
>> In order to be able to change the music on the disk easily, it would
> be
>> an idea to fit the HDD in a hot-swappable cage, i.e. plug the drive
> into
>> some other PC, load with music, then plug back into the MyC3.
>>
>> Alternatively, activate the USB and/or Firewire interface and use
>> external HDDs for the music library (e.g. Maxtor OneTouch).
>
> I'd suggest just moving the whole thing! The MyC3 is about the size of
> some
> external HDDs ;-) (Physically its the size of 2 and a bit standard
> harddisks). You can just plug in power and connect to your network to
> update
> (or in theory a USB2USB lead - I've not tried that...)
>
>> Either way, you could load the O/S onto some sort of flash memory
> rather
>> than the HDD.
>
> I wanted everything as one unit rather than several boxes :). It has a
> CF
> socket and I'm sure it would boot from it though...
>
> --
> RP
> http://www.rpsys.net/myc3/
>
>
>
>

Richard Purdie
2004-10-24, 14:11
Graham Ridgway:
>I am a phatnoise aka kenwood musickeg user. I like the concept, but unless
>you have a high end kenwood head unit (and I don't know even then) you get
>zero facilities. You can basically only build playlists on the PC and in
>the car only scroll through them sequentially. Also the big phatnoise hard
>disk units cost a small fortune and I object to not being able to just bung
>a bigger disk in!

I wanted to use "standard" components where I could (both in hardware and
software) and for that reason it runs as a standard PC with an IDE harddisk
running SlimServer. With the amount of effort that's gone into SlimServer, I
think it makes a good base, even if some tweaks might be needed for in car
use (I haven't made any yet and I'm not sure I personally need to).

> I would be very interested in a unit that put a slimdevice-alike in the
> car esp if it came with the blessing of the nice guys at slim devices.

I should make it clear that the device is independent of Slim Devices and as
such will not be supported by them. For that reason, I'm not sure they would
give it their blessing as such.

> How do I go about making one Richard??

At the very least you'll need a parts kits as whilst some of the bits are
"off the shelf", the case and three PCBs are custom designed and built. I
could publish the details but they're not buildable by a hobbyist so I'm
reluctant to do that. If I get enough requests, a parts kit or a small batch
run would be the way forward...

--
RP
http://www.rpsys.net/myc3/

Graham Ridgway at home
2004-10-24, 14:33
Looks interesting.

I guess the blessing of 'we are ok with this' would be good so it's not
viewed as competetive (a la Roku!).

I am def interested if a small batch run is possible.

How does it work in terms of running the PC? Is it on all the time (running
the batt down), or does it shut down and start up?

Graham
----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Purdie" <rpurdie (AT) rpsys (DOT) net>
To: "Slim Devices Discussion" <discuss (AT) lists (DOT) slimdevices.com>
Sent: Sunday, October 24, 2004 10:11 PM
Subject: [slim] An in-car "Squeezebox"


> Graham Ridgway:
>>I am a phatnoise aka kenwood musickeg user. I like the concept, but
>>unless you have a high end kenwood head unit (and I don't know even then)
>>you get zero facilities. You can basically only build playlists on the PC
>>and in the car only scroll through them sequentially. Also the big
>>phatnoise hard disk units cost a small fortune and I object to not being
>>able to just bung a bigger disk in!
>
> I wanted to use "standard" components where I could (both in hardware and
> software) and for that reason it runs as a standard PC with an IDE
> harddisk running SlimServer. With the amount of effort that's gone into
> SlimServer, I think it makes a good base, even if some tweaks might be
> needed for in car use (I haven't made any yet and I'm not sure I
> personally need to).
>
>> I would be very interested in a unit that put a slimdevice-alike in the
>> car esp if it came with the blessing of the nice guys at slim devices.
>
> I should make it clear that the device is independent of Slim Devices and
> as such will not be supported by them. For that reason, I'm not sure they
> would give it their blessing as such.
>
>> How do I go about making one Richard??
>
> At the very least you'll need a parts kits as whilst some of the bits are
> "off the shelf", the case and three PCBs are custom designed and built. I
> could publish the details but they're not buildable by a hobbyist so I'm
> reluctant to do that. If I get enough requests, a parts kit or a small
> batch run would be the way forward...
>
> --
> RP
> http://www.rpsys.net/myc3/
>
>