PDA

View Full Version : SB3 : 24/96 capable?

jmx
2012-02-23, 07:46
I have a SB3, but now I want to be able to play hi-res tracks (24/96 and up).

Do I need an outboard DAC to get the benefits of 24/96 on the SB3?

If so, I'll then have to decide between a DAC or a SB Touch. Or both!

thanks!

jmx

Soulkeeper
2012-02-23, 07:51
The SB3's DAC can do max 24/48, and I suspect this also applies to the digital out. SC/SBS/LMS will transparently transcode 24/96 files to 24/48 via SoX when playing them on your SB3.

So if you want "the benefits of 24/96", you'll probably need a Touch, with or without a DAC.

That being said, will you be able to hear the difference between a 24/96 track, and the same track properly downsampled to 24/48? Whether that is humanly possible, is disputed. AFAIU, nobody has yet been able to do so in a double blind test.

Anyway, it's probably more cost effective to spend the money on speaker upgrades, or room treatment.

pski
2012-02-23, 08:16
The SB3's DAC can do max 24/48, and I suspect this also applies to the digital out. SC/SBS/LMS will transparently transcode 24/96 files to 24/48 via SoX when playing them on your SB3.

So if you want "the benefits of 24/96", you'll probably need a Touch, with or without a DAC.

That being said, will you be able to hear the difference between a 24/96 track, and the same track properly downsampled to 24/48? Whether that is humanly possible, is disputed. AFAIU, nobody has yet been able to do so in a double blind test.

Anyway, it's probably more cost effective to spend the money on speaker upgrades, or room treatment.

+++

jmx
2012-02-23, 09:13

I'm starting to catch on.

So with the SBTouch, LMS won't need to transcode 24/96, but will transcode anything above that (eg. 24/192).

Does SoX need a lot of mem or CPU? I have a 2GB Win7 dell zino as my server.

I'm interested in seeing if I can tell the diff between a downsampled 24/96 and one that is decoded natively.

The bottom line is this: will 24/96 content sound better on a SBT or a SB3?

fwiw, speakers are on the way

Thanks for the info!
- jmx

Phil Leigh
2012-02-23, 09:33
I'm starting to catch on.

So with the SBTouch, LMS won't need to transcode 24/96, but will transcode anything above that (eg. 24/192).

Does SoX need a lot of mem or CPU? I have a 2GB Win7 dell zino as my server.

I'm interested in seeing if I can tell the diff between a downsampled 24/96 and one that is decoded natively.

The bottom line is this: will 24/96 content sound better on a SBT or a SB3?

fwiw, speakers are on the way

Thanks for the info!
- jmx

Your computer will be fine for SOX. Just try playing a 24/96 track right now - it should handle it automatically unless you've done any silly "fiddling" with LMS File Type settings...

All content sounds better on a Touch than the SB3 (a bit better - not life-changing!)
+++++ What Soulkeeper said.

jmx
2012-02-23, 10:10
Is there any way to tell LMS to not downsample a rate that is not natively supported by the SBT (or SB3), and have the player send the stream to an outboard DAC that does support it?

rayman1701
2012-02-23, 10:30
No. From what I understand it all has to go thru the chip whether it's then sent analog out or digital out.

jmx
2012-02-23, 11:57
excellent info - thanks!

That means a SBT is in my near future and my first HDTracks purchase will probably be ... Layla (24/96).

Or Let It Bleed, Running on Empty, Beggar's Banquet, SRV + Albert King : In Session, Live at the Fillmore East, Rumors .....