PDA

View Full Version : Cheap tablets to use as a Controller

theadmans
2012-02-21, 12:40
I keep seeing these cheap 7" Android Tablets on ebay (for about 50 delivered).

Does anyone know what the performance will be like when used with the Android Controller App with a Squeezebox Touch?

rbz5416
2012-02-21, 13:48
If that's all you want it for then you probably can't go too far wrong, other than a probable lack of support. Just make sure it's got a capacitive screen rather than resistive. If you want to do more with it then I'd say it's worth spending a bit more on something you've heard of.

A used iPod Touch with iPeng works well & you should be able to pick up a 2nd gen in decent condition for that money. If you jailbreak it to make it multi-tasking you can use e-mail etc. at the same time. Otherwise iPeng (or other control software) will shut down when you fire up something else.

I'm currently running Squeeze Commander on a Samsung Galaxy WiFi 5.0 & find that a good size for a remote. Comet were clearing these for 99 recently but they'll be long gone now.

See if there's anything helpful in this thread:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=92355&highlight=android

Mark Miksis
2012-02-21, 14:48
Note that many of these cheap tablets come with no Google apps which means no Market. Be prepared to sideload the Logitech app and anything else you will need. Depending on your budget, you can also look for a used Nook Color and install a custom ROM.

JJZolx
2012-02-21, 16:40
Depending on your budget, you can also look for a used Nook Color and install a custom ROM.

I'm also seeing dozens of Kindle Fires advertised on Craigslist, at some very attractive prices. Surprisingly few Nook Tablets.

bluto99
2012-02-21, 16:40
Note that many of these cheap tablets come with no Google apps which means no Market. Be prepared to sideload the Logitech app and anything else you will need. Depending on your budget, you can also look for a used Nook Color and install a custom ROM.

or dual boot stock software and Android off an SD card, am doing that w/ my own NC and it works well...set it up with info from http://taosaur.blogspot.com/2011/09/running-cyanogenmod-7-from-sd-nook.html

theadmans
2012-02-22, 02:48
Thanks for the advice guys I have now refined my search for a tablet with a capacitive screen. I can get this Ainol tablet for about 70 delivered in the UK:-

http://www.engadget.com/2011/12/05/ainol-launches-the-novo7-the-worlds-first-android-4-0-tablet/

...any thoughts? Will this be man enough for the job?

rbz5416
2012-02-22, 09:18
...any thoughts? Will this be man enough for the job?As I said before, just about any Android tablet will do the job of running a SB app. It really depends of what else you may want to do with it.

The one you've linked to seems to be another with no direct access to the Android Market & the Amazon UK reviews aren't great.

fairyliquidizer
2012-02-24, 12:05
I can get this Ainol tablet ....
Will this be man enough for the job?

Is that what they call a suppository?

:)

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk