PDA

View Full Version : Main diffs between pre-Logitech and post-Logitech hardware?

tbessie
2012-02-19, 21:24
Does anyone know of a quick summary of the main differences between the pre-Logitech acquisition and post-acquisition hardware? i.e. the SB3/Receiver/Boom/Controller vs the SB Radio and Touch?

Is there any significant difference in decoding abilities, network capacity, features, etc.? I was going to recommend a product for a friend who wants to stream music around her house, but then noticed that the products I own (SB3/Receiver/Boom/Controller) have all been discontinued, so I was wondering what the main differences are.

Does there exist a wiki page that describes the main differences? Have people found the newer hardware to be better in any way?

- Tim

erland
2012-02-19, 21:52
Does there exist a wiki page that describes the main differences?

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Hardware_comparison

Have people found the newer hardware to be better in any way?

Some people like the old models and some the new ones.

I like the Touch better than my Classic because of:
- Color screen
- Improved audio quality

Other people like the Classic better than the Touch because of:
- VFD screen (which is easier to see from long distance)
- More customization possibilities

The same comparison for Boom vs Radio would be that:
- Boom have stereo while Radio has mono
- Radio have color screen while Boom has VFD screen
- The sound quality is better on the Boom, because of built-in DSP processing and stereo support.

The decoding abilities on the newer models are a lot better than the older models, this means that they have support for more native formats and doesn't require the server to do the transcoding. However, from a system perspective, the older models still support the file formats it's just that the server has to work a bit more.

I would personally recommend the newer models because I think they are a little bit more future proof than the older ones, but there will probably be other people which recommend the older models.

From my perspective, I think you can think like this:
- If you would have recommended a Classic for a specific room, you can safely recommend a Touch
- If you would have recommended a Boom for a specific room, you can recommend a Radio if the room doesn't need stereo support. If the room can benefit from stereo support a Touch with separate active speakers might be a better solution. It's the Boom that doesn't have a good replacement among the newer models.

tbessie
2012-02-19, 22:14
Thanks for all that info, erland! You've been very helpful!

- Tim

Mnyb
2012-02-19, 22:51
The never players firmware is based on some embedded Linux so it is mostly open source and possible to modify by third party .

This architechture makes them simpler to maintain and future proof to . for example adding a new audio codec

aubuti
2012-02-20, 06:52
Does anyone know of a quick summary of the main differences between the pre-Logitech acquisition and post-acquisition hardware? i.e. the SB3/Receiver/Boom/Controller vs the SB Radio and Touch?
I think Erland summarized it well, but if you want to compare pre/post Logitech acquisition you should also know that the dividing line is rather fuzzy. The SB3 and Transporter were the last two products sold by Slim Devices, and the Duet was the first in the SB line by Logitech. I understand that work on the Duet, and possibly the Boom, was underway before the acquisition, but how much (25%? 50%? 85%?) isn't widely known.

Functionally/architecturally speaking, the main division is SqueezeOS (Controller, Radio, Touch) vs i3pk (SB2/SB3, Transporter, Duet Receiver, Boom) and earlier.

Mnyb
2012-02-20, 07:11
Boom is functionally almost as SB3/2 .

Afaik SqueezePlay/SqueezeOS was was begun with the duet project for the controller .

I don't know if slimdevices already was sold when the project was initialized .
But most of the old staff was still around so a fuzzy line or you could call it continuity .

But the new players marks a new direction more intelligence in the players, probably necessary because the market for streaming radio and services there is a lot of folks without local files or local server .

The importance of mysqueezebox.com aka squeezenetwork was becoming more important

cparker
2012-02-20, 11:32
Touch all the way if I was recommending to a friend. Its UI is vastly superior ,more intuitive for non-techs and handles displaying a large library with ease. I have a SB3 attached to my drum kit and really notice the difference when trying to find tracks on it vs the Touch.

musicom
2012-02-23, 09:31
I think Erland summarized it well, but if you want to compare pre/post Logitech acquisition you should also know that the dividing line is rather fuzzy. The SB3 and Transporter were the last two products sold by Slim Devices, and the Duet was the first in the SB line by Logitech. I understand that work on the Duet, and possibly the Boom, was underway before the acquisition, but how much (25%? 50%? 85%?) isn't widely known.

I've seen the Logitech Wireless DJ product, reviewed by cnet in 2006, which has many of the Duet's features (scroll wheel, 2 part system with controller and decoder box which connects to the stereo, which came out post Slim Devices Acquisition in 2008, so maybe the Duet was something being developed by Logitech and it was not a Slim Devices device.

Way back then I considered the Wireless DJ or a Roku Soundbridge to stream Internet radio around the house, but was informed of the Squeezebox SB3 at a high end audio show - a device which had true bit accurate streaming (Roku resampled everything and DJ didn't support lossless formats), FLAC support and true high fidelity (and the SB3 met my design ideals for a hi-fi product that has no knobs, works only with a remote control and is on all of the time).

http://reviews.cnet.com/remote-controls/logitech-wireless-dj-music/4505-7900_7-32004279.html

http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/70/457

pski
2012-02-23, 16:50
OK

I started after lt.

I had done across the house wiring since 1987 with line level. This is way better.

I think since pl players still work (aside from hardware issues)the value might have been good.

I first bought a duet and then a receiver and then a SB3 <hallowed be> and then a boom <best kitchen stereo ever; just add velodyne va 807.>

As I understand there are two earlier players and that wifi was an option for some time.

Reminisce.

P