PDA

View Full Version : Server address

austinreeve
2012-02-16, 06:32
My server address is given as 192.168.0.4:9000 and if I type that in as the URL that's fine. I set it as my homepage in Firefox but when I open it, either through the browser or through the Media Server Control Panel/Advanced/Web Remote Control it opens 127.0.0.1:9000. Why should this be and how can I stop it from happening, please?

JerryS
2012-02-16, 06:51
Don't worry about it, the two ip addresses are one and the same! 127.0.0.1 is the ip address reserved by your operating system for the local host, ie, the webserver running on your computer. For an explanation of this, google 'localhost'.

Jerry

austinreeve
2012-02-16, 09:27
Thanks for your prompt reply. I shall do as you suggest.
Paul

toby10
2012-02-16, 11:37
As Jerry explained, 127... is when using the web UI on the same computer that is local hosting the LMS server.
192... is when you want to access that same web UI from another computer as a remote web UI.

austinreeve
2012-02-16, 12:29
Right, that makes sense as I initially installed the server on a different computer from the main one which I use for everything else, thinking that I would dedicate it just to the squeezebox, using an external hard drive to store the files. However the idea had to be abandoned because the fan on that computer was too noisy!! Thanks for your explanation.
Paul

garym
2012-02-16, 15:22
Right, that makes sense as I initially installed the server on a different computer from the main one which I use for everything else, thinking that I would dedicate it just to the squeezebox, using an external hard drive to store the files. However the idea had to be abandoned because the fan on that computer was too noisy!! Thanks for your explanation.
Paul

Apologies if you already understand this, but just in case, do you realize that the computer running SbS/LMS doesn't need to be anywhere near your listening room. It could be sitting next to your router in the basement, closet, etc. All that matters is that it is on the same local network as your SB Player, which does of course need to be near (and connected to) your stereo system.

austinreeve
2012-02-18, 03:08
All that matters is that it is on the same local network as your SB Player, which does of course need to be near (and connected to) your stereo system.

Thank you for that. As you say, the computer would have to be connected to the local network but it is a wireless network and the old computer doesn't have a wireless connection. I also like to control the system via the computer monitor so I was using a switch to select which computer the monitor was showing and everything was fine except for the fan noise.
The new problem, which started yesterday is that the settings link is not working! All I get is a blank screen with a very strange URL. This is the first time that this has happened. Very strange!

Paul

toby10
2012-02-18, 05:00
Try clearing the browser cache.

austinreeve
2012-02-18, 12:32
Done and all working fine now. Thanks.